My latest PMGY trip

rachaelpierce1's review of Plan My Gap Year - www.planmygapyear.co.uk

“My latest PMGY trip”

Written on: 26/04/2015 by rachaelpierce1 (1 review written)

I'm a third year student nurse and choose to Delhi for my four week elective placement. Whilst in Delhi, I volunteered in the Slum Outreach clinic, a government hospital, a private hospital and a gynaecology clinic.

I spend the majority of my placement in the Slum Outreach clinic and the government hospital. Here I worked alongside a doctor who advised and administered medication to people living in the local area. I was able to do patients blood pressure, pulse, temperature, blood glucose monitoring and examining X-rays. The doctor speaks very good English and explained the common problems that people living in the slums face. This was certainly an eyeopener and was completely different to any placement I've had in the UK.

In addition, when I was in the government hospital I spend time in the laboratory and labour ward where I observed a Caesarian and some natural births. The procedure of the Caesarian is slightly different to the UK but it was definitely interesting as the medical staff explain each step. In the gynaecology clinic, I observed many ultra sound scans of pregnant women. The doctor explained each scan and showed me the difference between the first scan and scans during the later stages of pregnancy. Furthermore, in the private hospital I was places in the Accident and Emergency department. Here I witnessed many patients who were often deteriorating quickly with various medical conditions. This was very informative and I learned about how they deal with emergency situations in comparison to the UK.

Overall, this four week medical placement in Delhi was an incredible experience where I gained an insight to how medical professionals act in regards to patients presenting with a variety of medical conditions and diseases. This experience is different to any placement in the UK, but it was a valuable experience that I will never forget. I would recommend it to anyone!