Misleading Transaction Time; Xoom As Bad as a Payday Lender

• Speed of service

Kelley356's review of Xoom - www.xoom.com

“Misleading Transaction Time; Xoom As Bad as a Payday...”

Written on: 05/10/2020 by Kelley356 (1 review written)

I was redirected to Xoom from my PayPal account page, in order to send money to a relative in an emergency. As I was filling out my personal information and the recipient's, my old address shows on the Xoom page to enter my cc info, and there's no way to edit it. (I moved over a year ago and updated all my cc address info at the time. I was surprised to see my old address, given that PayPal has had my current one for over a year.) Also, in the transaction process of filling information out online, the estimated time for recipient to have a deposit is written as 1 to 15 minutes upon transaction completion. It was the reason I continued with the process....

After receiving a completed transaction code, a vaguely worded email came to me asking to contact Xoom either by reply or call. I had to examine the email closely. Then, I did both--replied to the email saying it was I and called its CS. The CSR, after asking personal questions about why I was sending money (I objected and gave reason as "Other" on the online form) then announces that the deposit would take 1 business day. Allegedly it's in the Service Agreement. Nowhere in the process did a box appear to check that I had read and understood such agreement. The email I received asking to contact Xoom had a link to a Service Agreement. First time that aspect of the process appeared.

To repeat the Subject line: Xoom misleads account holders about its transaction times to send money within the U.S. It has the corporate, predatory "personality" of a payday lender that deceives its loan customers by taking what the customer thinks are loan payments and calling them "loan renewal fees."

Xoom has similar, deceitful intentions in its online forms to send money--lead the account holder one way, then not fulfill its advertised transaction times. Its excuse is fraud prevention. Not buying that. Xoom knows beforehand it will take a new account --maybe all accounts-- 24 hours to have its money transfer deposited. If a prospective sender saw a 24 hour time frame up front, he or she would wait a day and go to a bank or find another, faster means via a phone or pc.

Sucks to be Xoom. And Xoom sucks. Caveat emptor. It will clip you in ways large and small, knowingly and intentionally.

To sum up and repeat once again, Xoom is intentionally misleading and has the scruples of the worst payday lender. Definitely my first and last time using its "services." And I would not recommend to anyone, regardless what it advertises.