Would not recommend

Aliaz's review of Linley & Simpson

“Would not recommend”

Written on: 19/12/2015 by Aliaz (1 review written)

I've rented a flat via Linley and Simpson in the centre of Leeds for only 6 months. The staff were initially helpfull, untill I moved in. One bedroom in the two bedroom apartment was so mouldy that it couldn't be used which wasn't addressed at all in the six months I lived there. When I left I made sure I was present during check out where a £15.00 deduction on my deposit was agreed for additional cleaning. Nevertheless, they tried to make various extra deductions on the deposit and I had to be very firm in refusing to accept them. Eventually, I got the whole deposit back 4 weeks after moving out but Not before I pointed out to them that it was illegal to withhold the whole deposit if the dispute was over a part of it.

Overall, the experience left me with a bad taste in my mouth especially because the person I was dealing with was decidedly dishonest in her claims. For example, she provided me with pictures of unclean items (in order to claim further deductions) that weren't taken in the apartment I rented. If you do decide to rent via them I can only advise to make sure you have everything in writing, be present at check out and make them write down what is agreed and make pictures of the state of the house on moving in and moving out. A little knowledge of the law also wouldn't go amiss! (You can get initial advice from a solicitor for free)

I am now looking to buy a house but wouldn't consider using Linley and Simpson. Moreover, I wouldn't even buy a house if the seller was using them.

• Rent Property