ElliotLeigh - Big Mistake

elreview's review of Elliot Leigh Property Management - www.elliotleigh.com

“ElliotLeigh - Big Mistake”

Written on: 04/12/2021 by elreview (1 review written)

Everything seems fine - at first.
Properties are let to people via the council scheme so you have no control on who is housed in your accommodation, although you quickly realise these are people who cannot access the private rental market.
I had three properties with this Agent and in hindsight I wish I had continued to manage them myself. I was expecting ElliotLeigh to provide what they promised in their advert.
There is too much to list here but beware of the claims they make. In all three cases my property was returned in a disgusting condition, even after being cleaned by EL... they called it wear and tear. As required I supplied a fridge freezer and for some bizarre reason this particular tenant cut the wire and cellotaped the plug back on. Obviously it had to be replaced. EL refused because they said white goods were not part of their agreement despite their advert saying it is.
You will not get what you are entitled to from these people unless you are prepared to go to court. They do not hand back the property when they should, they will not clean it properly (I had to get a professional company in), any damages are dismissed as wear and tear, and you will not get anywhere trying to resolve issues in a reasonable way.
If you don't care about integrity, honesty, the type of tenants you get or the state your property will be returned and your only concern is getting your rent on time......then go ahead, this is the Agent for you.

Mooreissharon's Response to elreview's Review

Written on: 04/01/2022

Did you receive your property back? how long after the contact ended please, i am trying to get my property back and i am having no joy at the moment

Written on: 04/01/2022

Yes I did. Tenant should have vacated December 20 and finally went April 21. Left the place in a disgusting state. You are probably going to be stuck with the current tenant until they find somwhere else to place them. providing the tenant is happy with the alternative accommodation. My tenant reused at least one offer. EL handed back the property in such a state it required professional services to get it back to rentable condition. I tried to negotiate with them regarding costs and ended up taking legal action. You need to show these people you mean business. I had 3 properties with them and not one came back in good condition.

Mooreissharon's reply to Elreview's Comment

Written on: 10/01/2022

Thank you for your reply, i have inspected the house and it is in a terrible condition, i need the house back as my son and partner are about to have a baby so i want them to have the house, i gave 3 mths notice and was suppose to have it back october 19th still not got it back, i am contacting the Property redress scheme who they are registered with as Ombusman said this is the first place i need to contact. I dont know what to do next. Any suggestions, probably solicitor

Written on: 10/01/2022

I am not qualified to give professional advice so I can only tell you how I dealt with my situation which sounds very similar to yours.
I did not use a solicitor as the tenant was moved out (4 months late) but I used the small claims court for the damage to the property.
You could try threatening to engage a specialist eviction company or a solicitor but I guess it depends on costs. I any event I expect you will have to take some sort of legal action if your property needs specialist cleaning as mine did. I doubt very much your property will be returned in any sort of reasonable condition. I wish you luck as I know from experience how stressful this is.

Mooreissharon's reply to Elreview's Comment

Written on: 10/01/2022

Thank you, I have also contacted Barking and Dagenham council who they have rented the property too to see if i can get any joy from them, the Property Redress Scheme said they should have done a section 21 no fault eviction notice but Elliot leigh said they havent they have just served a notice to quit. SO WHO KNOWS, I will update this when I know more.
Thanks Again

Written on: 10/01/2022

My tenant was also placed via Barking and Dagenham. You will get bounced between Elliot Leigh and the Council for responsibility for removing the tenant. If you have been able to contact someone at the Council then you were more successfully than I was.