All the 1 star ratings can't be wrong......

Guest's review of Connells Estate Agents

“All the 1 star ratings can't be wrong......”

Written on: 21/10/2021

- Saw a property and 2 days later (Monday) made an offer only £1000 below advertised price, with the understanding that if it was declined they would come back and we'd review.
- On making the offer I was told that I needed to speak to someone about whether I could afford the offer. I explained that I had plans in place and a broker who was acting on my behalf and I wouldn't be using their services therefore, it wouldn't be beneficial. I am aware that I have no issue with obtaining a mortgage. However, they like to people to speak to someone "about whether they can afford the offer they are making".
- No news about my offer and what the vendor had said that day.
- Next day call for appt with someone about affording my offer. I explained that I wouldn't be needing their services. Was advised that he was a mortgage advisor and what my broker had told me wasn't true about a decision in principle affecting my credit score. Wanted the name of my broker. Also wanted some information as other people making offers had provided information so their offers may be accepted above mine. I refused to give any information as I didn't want or need their services and wasn't going to open up to them saying they were acting on behalf and charging me. I also wondered why a mortgage advisor who wasn't acting for me would be liaising with the vendor when my offer was to the agent.
- Next day (Wednesday) no information received regarding offer. Called office. They said they hadn't heard back from vendor as she was viewing offers - however, without me saying my name or details they knew the price of my offer and who I was - surprising when they had so many offers. They did say, however, that the vendor has asked them to get final offers and if I wished to increase (even though my original offer hadn't been declined). Suffice to say I didn't increase it.
- As I felt there was something not quite right with what I was being told, and I'd met the neighbour at the property, On Thursday, I posted a note through his door asking if he was still in contact with the vendor to pass my number on so I could ascertain if the offer had been put forward and that I was receiving the correct feedback from the agent. As you can see I was very keen to progress with the sale of this property.
- Unfortunately vendor passed my note onto the agent. I did question in the note whether my offer was put forward. No contact from Vendor, just a telephone message from the branch on Saturday to say that they were in receipt of my letter to the vendor and they had passed on my offer on Monday as they have to, by law, within 24 hours. However, the vendor had now accepted another offer, but should they need to contact me again they would. Even though I'd asked them to liaise with me regarding my offer was declined and whether I would want to increase, at that point.
- It is now the following Thursday and the house is still being advertised for sale at the same price.

After reading all the other reviews about this company, it appears that my situation isn't a one off and my hunches about things not being quite right were true and still are. Unfortunately the vendor chose to put the agent in charge of liaising with me about my note. The vendor could have been heading towards a completed sale now as I was very keen to buy the property and have nothing stopping me doing so apart from the barriers put up by the agent.

A very unfortunate situation and unnecessarily stressful. Think before you use them - read all the reviews and then decide.

• Buy Property