Do not get a smart meter with Utility Warehouse:

lynmacinnes's review of The Utility Warehouse www.utilitywarehouse.co.uk

“Do not get a smart meter with Utility Warehouse:”

Written on: 27/05/2020 by lynmacinnes (1 review written)

We received a huge bill 22nd May from Utility Warehouse for £517.49, we have been with them for many years and have only had problems with them since we had the smart meter installed 22nd July 2019 which has not worked since then (Please see the query email 1 sent from me to them (below) .

They replied on 29th July , please see email 2 below stating they are looking into the issue.

31st July they said things have been sorted when they had not, I called them and they said they would look into it. At the time this was internal smart meter device we were querying.

We then received 16/8/19 an email saying an engineer which we had not been told was coming, we were not in and when we checked the device still did not work.

After numerous calls chasing including an email to Utility Warehouse we still had not repaired the meter, but we decided as the bills look correct comparing with the years of actual bills where I had manually read the meters to give up reporting the issue and assumed as it was a smart meter it was sending the readings as I do remember on one of the calls with them the staff member saying that the meter outside was sending the numbers correctly and just to ignore the internal meter readings.

This year Utility Warehouse changed their name to UW and sent me a couple of texts in April asking for a meter reading the first 24th April I ignored as I thought it must be a mistake as we have a smart meter, but the 2nd text 28/4/20 I went to look at the meters and saw the Gas meter was dead and even when I pressed any of the letters it would not give a reading, so I contacted UW and asked them how to get the reading.

5th May we managed to speak to and received an email 29/4/20 I followed his instructions and the gas meter still did not come to life, so we replied with an email and included the photos of both meters.

1st of May we chased with an email.

5/5/20 He contacted us apologising that he was working from home understandably due to the Corona virus and had not been able to get into the office for the information connected with our queries. Then he said that having got me to check the meters again whilst he was on the phone that the gas meter definitely is broken, but cannot be repaired until the lockdown has been lifted and asked that we contact UW when the quarantine is over to book the engineer, we agreed to do this, he said in the meantime they would estimate the bills which we agreed as he said it would be estimated going on previous bills. He then sent confirmation of the discussion on email.

This bring us up to date with the huge £517.49 bill which I received via email, we called UW and explained that this is ridiculous there is no way that this is an average usage bill for us, she explained that the huge bill was because we had only received estimates and this was what was owed on the Electricity, which could not be correct, as the bills have increased over time and been on par with what we have used over the years with them. Further to the call they admitted it was their fault for not linking or registering the electric meter correctly. We created a spreadsheet showing the average prices we have paid, including back when I manually read the meter and there is no way we would have accumulated that huge bill. I have sent another chase email to Utility Warehouse, copied in the Which Award people as frankly I am fed up with them receiving awards when you only have to look on Mums.net to see many unhappy customers and their FB advert have many angry emojis.