Company is a Ripoff!

• Reliability

Guest's review of Elecscoot-3 Electric Scooter

“Company is a Ripoff!”

Written on: 15/03/2017

I bought an electric scooter from Elecscoot several years ago. It was a disaster. After sitting outside for only a couple weeks, various chrome parts, including the mirrors started to rust. It didn't take long to realize this was a cheap piece of Chinese junk.

I also had electrical problems and the lithium ion batteries kept swelling up and failing. Because of my distance from the dealer, they sent me new ones and instructed me how to replace them. As an electronics technician, this didn't bother me. However, after I took things apart, I was shocked at how sloppily put together everything was. The electrical wiring assembly was terrible. In some instances, I could grab wires and pull them out of their connectors with little effort. Crimping and fastening were totally inadequate.

One day while riding, part of the front suspension fell right apart. It was fortunate I wasn't thrown from the scooter—I could have been seriously hurt. Further investigation showed many, many parts on the scooter were loose. The entire assembly was extraordinarily cheap and sloppily put together. And rust was appearing everywhere. The quality of the metallurgy was extremely poor.

As an electronics technician, I can also report a fatal design flaw that eventually rendered the scooter unusable. The scooter did not come with a battery management system. (BMS) Only their most expensive scooters came with a battery management system. This device separately monitors and charges each lithium ion battery individually.

Instead, the batteries were simply hooked in series as a group...and charged as a group. I discovered this CANNOT WORK long term. No two batteries are exactly alike. Over a short time, the charge levels for the individual batteries started to drift apart. At the end of a drive, some had more charge remaining than others. As a result, when charging them as a group, some batteries were overcharged, while others were undercharged. The overcharged batteries were quickly destroyed.

To their initial credit, Elecscoot sent me a number of replacement batteries over a period of several months. However, that itself presented a problem: The batteries came fully charged. They are then hooked in series with other batteries that might be only partially charged. (The included charger cannot charge batteries individually.) As a result, from day one the batteries were unbalanced. The new batteries were quickly destroyed. There is no way to fix this. A Battery Management System is an ABSOLUTE MUST to charge groups of lithium ion batteries together.

After months of continued failures and problems, Elecscoot stopped answering my calls and emails. I never had more than a few months total use of the machine. After the second year, the scooter was a horrible looking, rusted out piece of unusable junk. I wound up taking it to a scrap yard. It was an expensive mistake costing me thousands of Pounds.

The fact is, these electric scooters are cheaply made pieces of Chinese junk and not fit for purpose. They should not even be allowed into the UK, as they are dangerous and very poorly made.

In a word, STAY AWAY FROM ELECSCOOT!

• Two Years