An obvious flaw....

• Durability

• Style

DereonSchmidt218's review of Titano LCD Tower Fan

“An obvious flaw....”

Written on: 16/06/2014 by DereonSchmidt218 (1 review written)

I've had the same Honeywell remote control fan since 2005, used it almost daily in our bedroom (it's rediculously hot in there pretty much all year long). It was a great fan and cost me about £70 at the time, but from years of constant use the bearings started to fail and it became rattly and loud. After a few semi-successful attempts at fixing it I thought I may as well buy a new one.

I found the 'Titano Tower Fan' in Maplin at the weekend and thought it looked pretty nice. Had all the features of my old one and came with a remote control. The big bonus for me though was the height, as on most tower fans if you use them in a bedroom, most of the cold breeze is wasted as it's just blowing into the side if the bed. (I would sometimes have to stack my old Honeywell one on top of a chair in the summer just to actually get most of the air up to bed level) but the titano is almost twice the height of my old one.

It has a huge blue display and looked great in the store, I got it home and set it up in the living room to test it. I was really impressed with it, I thought the display and all the little blue lights all over the place made it look really smart. I even got a bit of a deal on it in store as it was an ex display item, I couldn't believe my luck...

Later that night I carried it upstairs and plugged it in as happy as Larry, I fired her up, flicked it onto oscillate and jumped into bed patting myself on the back for buying such a great fan... But then I saw the huge flaw...

Not only was the huge LCD display lighting up the entire bedroom, but the blue neon lights combined with the oscillating function turned our bedroom into a mini nightclub! It was as bright as having the TV on in there, and there's no way to switch the lights or display off!!

Normally you would never even notice how intrusively bright this thing is, but in a pitch black bedroom when you've got blue flashing neon lights flying all around the place it's a little hard not to notice.

I ended up throwing a t-shirt over it just to get some sleep! A simple 'display on/off' button would have been amazing.

If you're a clubber or a raver, save your money... just invest in this fan and stay at home.

If you're looking for a ultra modern, neon, sleek looking LIVING ROOM fan and are a fan of Tron, buy this fan.

If you're looking for a bedroom fan and have become attached to your retinas and/or enjoy sleeping.. DON'T buy this fan.

• 1 - 6 months