STILL One of the Best Drum kits ever made!!

• Sound Quality

• Appearance

Hood444's review of Premier Signia

“STILL One of the Best Drum kits ever made!!”

Written on: 24/12/2018 by Hood444 (1 review written)

I bought a Sapphire Signia kit new in the early 90's after searching for my ultimate kit and not finding everything I wanted in one. But the Signia kit had everything I wanted! Thin Shells, reinforcement hoops, lacquered finish, maple, small lug contact, non drilled tom mounting, shells put together at an angle vs. straight, offered 18" deep kick drums with stand receivers which I needed for my Voelker style rack, undersized toms, beautiful color, and sounded amazing!!

My other options were GMS, Noble & Cooley, Yamaha Maple Custom. The Signia encompassed all the features I liked in all these makers, and didn't come with a 6+ month wait time. GMS only offered virgin Kick Drums, Yamaha only offered 16" kick drums at the time, and Noble & Cooley had a huge wait time and cost. I still paid a few grand for my kit, but I wanted the best kit I could find!

I ordered x2 - 22x18, 10", 13" 16" and matching Snare. In hindsight, I would have ordered all the sizes. Since, I recently found a couple orphan matching drums in England which I bought and brought back to add to my kit. I scored a 12" tom and 14" tom. Now if I could just find an 8" and 18" I'll be set! (Not that I'm not already)

I've recorded and toured with these drums many times, and still love them! Nicko McBrain of Iron Maiden (who used to play the Signias) told me "Some of the best drums ever made! Never get rid of them!" So I will take his advice!

I turned a friend on to these shortly after I bought my kit and he also bought a set of Signia's which he still has today as well!

Too bad Premier has gone in the toilet, but I am happy to say that I own a piece of their greatest masterpieces!

• Sound Quality

• Appearance

• Advanced

Reviewer's Musical Standard