Still good after 11 years, minor power-up problems

• Durability

• Style

• Service & Support

53Lacroix's review of Stoves Genus Stainless Steel Electric Double Oven

“Still good after 11 years, minor power-up problems”

Written on: 08/01/2020 by 53Lacroix (1 review written)

We got the Genus 900 brand new in 2009. It takes a bit of getting used to. Maybe we've been lucky reliability wise. It's extremely useful in the Genus quick cook mode. Bread is very quick to make with it. You have to pay attention to the temperature & time suggestion sheet as some settings work better than others, so need either temperature or time adjustment or both. You get to know what is needed eventually but we keep our crib sheet hung next to the cooker for quick checks. Occasionally we get caught out by something we've not done before (I ruined a bit of Xmas pud in the re-heat function, too long & too hot I think!) Re-heat works better for veggie pizzas than the pizza setting, so worth experimenting.
Electro-Mechanically it is a bit flakey... we've had no door problems unlike some, neither have we broken or melted the control "button" (the actual word is banned on this website!) anyway this is an incremental "button" as found on some delicate hi-tech equipment & I did wonder if it would last, right above the top oven/grill door but it's survived ok. The circuit board is also still the original.
BUT.. cooker always switches right off when power is even slightly interuppted (power-cuts or fuse box off) & then has to be re-booted & it takes ages to go through self test, flashing lights & often stalling half way through. Usually we turn it off & wait 10 mins to start again & keep trying - it can take half a dozen goes before it settles, bit of a pain but doesn't often happen. It also has a VERY NOISY fan! My sis has a Zanussi & you can hardly hear the fan, this thing we call the Lancaster Bomber & have to whack the radio up... I called service & was pretty much told "they all do that sir". Cheap parts or bad design?
The main thing is it all still works. Can't recommend as it's no longer made & I wouldn't get another even if it was due to many people's problems with them

• More than 1 year