It works if you follow it!

verethragma's review of Nutracheck - www.nutracheck.co.uk

“It works if you follow it!”

Written on: 03/09/2019 by verethragma (1 review written)

Whenever you read about people trying to lose weight, it sounds really hard. Especially calorie counting. When I found myself 10kgs than I wanted to be and decided to do something about it, I expected losing it to be very difficult, involving hunger pains and no cake or chips for at least a year.

Within the week's free trial of using Nutracheck I'd signed up for a year's membership. Not only had I lost several pounds during that week, but I realized that calorie counting didn't have to be onerous. Unlike another app I trialled at the same time, NC has a database full of foods that you find at any British supermarket. So, it's quick and easy to type in or scan the barcode of any food, weigh it up, and log the calories. I find that my slightly-obsessive personality really enjoys monitoring the calories and nutrients allocated to me by the app (depending on the personal details and goals entered at the start) and being able to immediately see the implications of my choices. Because the app tracks the macros (carbs, fat, sat fat, fibre, salt, sugar, protein) and not just the cals in my diet, it's really helped me to choose much healthier options overall. I also appreciate that it offers a place to store weight loss measured on the scale over time but also other body measurements (eg waist size). The downward graphs are really motivating!

I'm now in my fourth month of using Nutracheck, and I have lost the entire 10kgs and a little more. I have increased the amount of exercise I was doing previously to speed up the process (and bought an Apple watch which sends my burned cals info straight to the app), but the biggest change has been in the portions that I eat. Chips and cake are not necessarily off the menu, they're just on the menu less frequently. I have realized through the app that eating them, however tasty they are, doesn't keep me full and so isn't 'worth' the huge calorie spend. My plan is to see out the rest of the year's subscription to make sure I can keep my weight at this current level over time.

I've not really used the forum much. People do post useful tips (after all, we all share the same basic physiology), but I'm not really a social person and the emotions that often run high and low there have put me off.

The only thing I've noticed to be lacking from the app is in the pre-programmed eating-out/takeaway information. Sometimes it doesn't include enough vegetarian options to cover what I'm eating. It's easy enough to enter a guesstimate of the cals in my (infrequent) Chinese mock duck takeaway, but this doesn't match the brilliantly high level of vegetarian options available in the supermarket part of the database.