Very enjoyable meal.

• Quality of service

• Quality of food

Olson183's review of The Ivy On The Square, Edinburgh - www.theivyedinburgh.com

“Very enjoyable meal.”

Written on: 16/08/2019 by Olson183 (1 review written)

Last night we ate at the Ivy On The Square in celebration of my mum's 80th birthday.
We had a wonderful experience.
The food was delicious.
One small gripe is that the batter on the fish (fish and chips) was very dark and very hard so that twice when my son cut into it, pieces shot off his plate and onto the floor - I think the batter was overcooked.
Aside from that, everything was really tasty. My mum raved about her lamb rump and enjoyed the chocolate bombe so much that she pretty much inhaled the whole thing and my spoon (obtained from the waiter on the basis that my mum never finishes a dessert) was left unsullied by chocolatey, salted caramel, honeycomb deliciousness - serves me right: always order your own bombe because if there is a person in your party that orders it, they will NOT share!
Just a quick word on service. The restaurant rang the day before to confirm the booking and to let us know we'd have the table for two hours and held the table for five minutes longer than their usual fifteen minutes when I rang them en route to tell them we were stuck in Festival traffic. Top service.
Best of all was our lovely Spanish waiter. He was really friendly, attentive, knowledgeable and utterly charming - he greatly added to the enjoyment of our experience.
If you want to eat really delicious food for a special occasion in a beautiful restaurant you can't go wrong with The Ivy On The Square, Edinburgh.

• British

Food Type

• Over £25

Average cost per head

• Once or twice a year

How often do you eat here?

• Refined