Unsure if this is too good to be true?!

• Location

O'Donnellrl162's review of Davenport Green Hall, Greater Manchester

“Unsure if this is too good to be true?!”

Written on: 07/12/2014 by O'Donnellrl162 (1 review written)

Hello, just wondered if anyone could give me any advice about this venue. We have been to visit the grounds a few weeks ago and found them to be wonderful. We absolutely loved the place but was very put off by the toilets as they absolutely stank and did not feel at all clean. There was however a wedding on the day before so just figured it could be that.. although I still think with a good clean the toilets could be much better with a refurb. The staff member who showed us around was very helpful and seemed to offer us an exceptional discount! There was mention of a michelin star chef and to be honest everything just seemed to be too perfect, alarm bells started ringing thinking maybe it was too good to be true! So we get home to do a bit of research and see so many bad reviews which was a little surprising.. so we look into it further and see the past 2 food hygiene ratings (0 and 1) and have been immediately put off. We are gutted as we liked the venue so much! However, this is something we cannot really look past. Can I just ask how other peoples experiences have been? A few people have said the place is very unprofessional, but I have seen good reviews to. We certainly will not be booking due to food hygiene as it is rather appalling to get 0 and then only improve with a 1. However, we will probably keep our eye on this and hope it improves. So.. The price seems too good to be true! Is it??

• November 2014

Date visited

• Location

Lkc77's Comment

Written on: 10/12/2014

We have booked our wedding here for August and I know a few people who have already married here and nothing but good reports. It is out of season and they are doing more to the venue in the new year

Written on: 23/12/2014

Hello, thank you for this review. We have decided to not consider this venue anymore. I'm not sure if you have seen below comments on my post, but the Manchester Evening News and Daily Mail have articles exposing the venues filthy habits and these were reported today following a visit from environmental health. I originally deliberated from writing this on your post as the last thing i would want to do is put doubt in your head, knowing it has been booked. However, i feel it necessary as you have paid for a service and under recent conditions feel you may be entitled to claim money back. If this is something you wanted to do, definitely check out the article and maybe contact someone for advice with regards to this.

Sanjit25's Comment

Written on: 11/03/2015

I forgot to mention, the large marquee has been removed following a planning dispute I believe. Shame as I was looking at booking it for our reception.

Sanjit25's Comment

Written on: 11/03/2015

Davenport Green Hall is now called The Cheshire Hall

Siobhan_Hodson's Comment

Written on: 22/12/2014

I am looking at this venue but was 100% put off by the recent article in the MEN - this place has had it's licence revoked due to a client going to the council about the kitchen - the place is discusting behind the scenes although it looks amazing everywhere else! DONT GET MARRIED HERE!!!!

Written on: 23/12/2014

Thank you so much for this update! Did not expect it to be this bad! Cannot believe how disgusting the conditions are. Thank god someone reported it!

Joannemorris01's Comment

Written on: 22/12/2014

See Manchester Evening News today... I had a nightmare with the organisation amongst many many other problems. Contact me directly if you wish.

Helensmith1978's Comment

Written on: 22/12/2014

Our experience of DGH was terrible!
We were told the toilets were to be sorted before our wedding day, they were not, we paid to cater for 150 evening guests, and about 20 were fed, and the bacon baps were cold and the fish cones too salty to eat (apparently as we didnt even know they had served food nor did the majority of our guests!)
we were left feeling bitterly disappointed.
the bridal suite and guest rooms were damp and dirty.
the staff made promises they did not deliver, and we would certainly not recommend to anyone to waste their money here.
The venue is beautiful, such a waste.
Having just seen the reviews in the manchester evening news this week, they only confirm what we sadly found out on our special day!
dont waste your money, your special day should be everything you dreamt of and discussed with your wedding coordinater and venue, not what you are promised but not delivered.
i wouldnt even award one star, but it is compulsory i do to write the review.

Written on: 23/12/2014

I cannot thank you enough for this review. To be honest we wouldn't of booked with current food hygiene ratings, however it will never be considered now. Shame really as it is a beautiful venue. Apologies that you found this out too late. I still cannot believe the MEN and Daily Mail articles today! How does a business let conditions get so bad?! Disgusting even. All is well that this has been exposed, hopefully those who have booked weddings there may be able to cancel!