Basic motoring at its best

• Performance

• Practicality

• Reliability

Feud's review of Fiat Panda 1.1 Active

“Basic motoring at its best”

Written on: 02/10/2017 by Feud (5 reviews written)

I bought this little car intending it to be a temporary runabaout in 2009 for £1900. I intended to buy a "bigger and better" car a few months later, but nearly nine years later, I still have it, and it has never let me down in any major way.

It's easy to park, easy to drive and inexpensive to own. I've put 40,000 miles on it and yes, while I have had the brakes, tyres, shocks, battery, and timing belt renewed, these are all consumer items and at 75,000 miles the extremely modest 54 bhp engine is still pulling well enough to have hauled me up and down the motorway and A roads where it has no right to be.

I've averaged 47 mpg over that time, largely in fuel-sapping stop-start urban traffic and motorway dashes.

The best part of the vehicle? It's very easy to park, and just as easy to drive. The gear change mounted high makes it easy to shift. The worst part? Well, it's a little dated now - no air conditioning, ABS, or even rear head rests etc., but the new Panda has all these toys and more.

Would I have another? Absolutely. Fiat used to have a reputation for "Fix It Again Tomorrow", but based on my experience(including Toyotas, Hondas and a BMW) I would say the Fiat has been the most reliable and cheapest to run car I've owned.

• 20024