Don't bother!!

• Practicality

• Reliability

tvDugan12's review of Fiat Grande Punto 1.4 8V Dynamic Dualogic

“Don't bother!!”

Written on: 09/10/2014 by tvDugan12 (1 review written)

All I can say is DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY.
The only good things about the car in my opinion are that it looks alright and is pretty comfy inside....
However this is strongly outweighed by the fact that this is the MOST UNRELIABLE CAR I HAVE EVER OWNED!!!

On 4 separate occasions the car has broken down, 3 of these being in the past month. Once when parked and twice in the middle of the road my car has suddenly jolted into neutral and refused to go into gear, displaying error messages "Check transmission", "Gear unavailable", and insanely beeping at me. This has twice left me stuck in the middle of the road in very busy traffic. Dangerous.

The first time this happened it went to the Fiat Dealer, who "couldn't find anything wrong". It appeared to somehow reset itself following being sat at the dealer waiting to be looked at for a few days. Unfortunately I had no choice but to cough up £50 for them looking at the car and take it home, knowing this would probably happen again.

Surprise surprise, 2 days later the same issue has occurred and the car is now back at the dealer (nowhere else locally would accept the type of car because of its gearbox). It has now been mentioned that the actuator may need replacing, possibly costing £2000+.

I have heard that this is a common fault with the dualogic gearbox (including the Fiat 500 and Alfa's) and have now seen lots of other posts in various forums citing the same problem. Apparently this is a "known fault" that Fiat seem to deny exists. Unfortunately I just wish that I had done more research prior to buying the car.

I am going to get rid of this car ASAP and write off the entire Fiat experience. I will never touch a Fiat again. PLEASE DON'T GET ONE. It's not worth the risk of ending up with a dodgy one and having to fork out loads of money. If you really must buy a Fiat though, just get a manual!! Maybe they aren't so bad.

• 2007

Year Manufactured

• Performance

• Practicality

• Reliability

Drastic's Comment

Written on: 02/09/2015

Just as I feared, looks OK size is right, like the inside, but it's the age old problem, reliability.
Thanks for your review, Top job.