Great savings rates but shocking customer service

• Telephone Banking

• Internet Banking

• Local Branch

• Cash Point Facility

cathysissens's review of Newcastle Building Society

“Great savings rates but shocking customer service”

Written on: 23/02/2014 by cathysissens (1 review written)

I opened a 30 day notice - 5yr fixed term ISA on a great rate after seeing it on Martin Lewis's website. It was due to mature this August but as I'm buying a house, I needed the money...so I tried to get my money back. The 30 days notice was put on the account no problem. I just had to send them confirmation in writing which I did.
That's when the fun and games started.
When I phoned to check all was proceding ok, they told me the letter had never arrived and must have been 'lost in the post' so I resent the letter(recorded delivery this time).
This letter arrived but I then received a call telling me they couldn't give me my money as I'd changed my name (a lot happens in 5 years...I'm now divorced!). I had alerted them to this at the time, but they had not actioned the request (passport and driving license not being enough proof of ID). To give them their due, they had informed me of this by letter and they requested the deed poll. I sent a certified copy of the deed poll and assumed this had been actioned, however, it turns out this was also 'lost in the post'. How unlucky?
So in a last ditch attempt to get my money before my house sale completed, I sent the original copy of my deed poll to them (risky but seemingly necessary - so recorded delivery once again) with a polite note asking that they return it to me using recorded delivery. Given how important it was to them to have my deed poll before they gave me my £5000 back, you'd think they would understand - especially when you take into account the mishaps with post that obviously occur frequently with the Newcastle!
Anyway - they did receive it, the money has finally been released (after 40 days) but just to add insult to injury, the deed poll was handed to me by one of my neighbours (wrongly delivered!) and very much unsigned for/unrecorded, totally bent and battered.
I am so unimpressed that I'm leaving a review - not my thing usually!