Disgustingly bad service from the Phone Co-op

• Reliability

• Speed Consistency

Douglas379's review of The Phone Co-op

“Disgustingly bad service from the Phone Co-op”

Written on: 12/11/2020 by Douglas379 (1 review written)

I am writing this review on behalf of my partner who, a week ago received an unsolicited phonecall from the Phone Co-op claiming she had run up a £90 data browsing bill on her mobile - originally she had bought a non-data package from them and at the point of sale was assured that browsing data could not be used - and the only solution was for her to sign up to an additional £8 per month data plan which would have "locked" her in to a lengthy contract. Obviously she was alarmed by this and queried the bill as she did not understand how the charges could have arisen as they seem to have coincided with her ordering a new SIM card as service here is very poor and it was hoped that it may improve it - it hasn't . At one point during the conversation she queried whether her SIM card could have been cloned. A short while later she received an email from the phone co-op rebuffing her concerns and, in the first paragraph lampooning her for asking whether her SIM had been cloned and telling her to ring Action Fraud (the Police Fraud reporting helpline). She wrote back explaining that she was unhappy with the way the matter was being dealt with by him, questioning some of the points he made in his email and asking for his line manager's details. He responded but still did not include his line manager's email. Today my partner received an email claiming that she has a bill for £120 from the Phone co-op which, when one considers that she signed up for a £7.99 per month package is not at all reasonable. She rang and complained again and was told that she could look at the bills online using her online account - an online account that has never been set up by the Phone co-op. My partner then insisted that a PDF copy of the bill was sent to her but, of course, it has not been received. Currently she is talking with Action Fraud the Police fraud reporting service (a course of action recommend by the person she first dealt with in his email first email) as within the terms of her contract it would not be possible for her to have used the data. This has to be the worst customer service experience my partner and I have ever come across. She has now left the Phone Co-op and I today placed my order with another supplier (which, incidentally, between the two of us are worth around £40 per month to The Phone Co-op in lost business - we have both been customers for around a decade).

To summarise the key points are: that the data was run up/allowed to be run up, without her knowledge, within the terms of a "no data" package which should not have been allowed data to be run up (so in contravention of the Sale of Goods Act in force at the time of purchase 8 years ago). The issue of another SIM card, if it allowed data was also in breach of the Consumer Sales Act 2015 (the current consumer legislation) as it was issued just over one month ago. The Phone Co-op has not actively engaged with this issue, with the preron she dealt with having been offhand and lampooning my partner in his initial email and failing to give escalation details for his line manager - it is a legal right that these details be supplied to the customer on request.

My partner has been reduced to tears by the Phone Co-op's offhand and unhelpful approach and, when one considers that she has been a loyal customer for almost a decade it is shocking to find that customer loyalty is not only disrespected, but seemingly viewed as a matter for ridicule.

As a side note when I called the Phone Co-op to leave them the person I spoke to was utterly disinterested and suggested I could have texted instead.

This has undoubtedly been the worst customer experience either my partner or I have ever experienced and the Phone Co-op should hang their heads in shame for the way we have been treated.

• Reliability