Motorcyclists Avoid the RAC they'll leave you stranded!!

• Speed of response

• Customer service

Vtwin's review of RAC Motorcycle Breakdown Cover

“Motorcyclists Avoid the RAC they'll leave you stranded!!”

Written on: 10/01/2021 by Vtwin (1 review written)

My Motorcycle rectifier fried on the M6, luckily the engine chose the perfect time to cut out-just before junction 34.I managed to coast down the slip road and park my machine in a safe place. I phoned the RAC, the voice said I was in a queue, I was left on hold 55 minutes before someone answered. I explained the problem and the operator said "someone will be there in about 90 minutes. After 2/1/2 hours still no show so I called the RAC again, after 40 minutes I got through. The operator was very apologetic and I would now be a priority, I obviously wasn't as 2 hours passed and no show from the RAC. After I had been stood in the same place for over 5 hours I called my Wife to tell her I'd had enough of waiting and I would have one more try and if nothing happened would She come and get me? I got through to the call centre after I'd pushed the bike to the Holiday Inn just down the road {they still couldn't say when they'd come}So I phoned the Police to tell them that I had no choice other than to abandon the bike. I then phoned my Wife who drove the 40 miles to come and get me. I got home and phoned the RAC again, they were very apologetic. I said "well I'm home now but my bike is in a hotel car park, are you going to retrieve it? I received a call from a taxi driver who'd driven from Blackburn to the Holiday Inn to pick me up so where are you? The RAC had sent a taxi to pick me up and take me home, this is despite me telling them that I was abandoning the vehicle and telling them my Wife was coming to get me. An independent rescue service rang me from Penrith at 11.00 pm, they thought I was still with the bike, I said "I am now at home; if I was still with the bike I would have been stood there for over 9 hours by now". My bike was returned at 1am the next day.
Two years ago my bike broke down because of a minor issue, I called the RAC for help, in the end they said that they said they didn't have a patrol to send and that's that!! I called my Wife who put my tools in the boot and I fixed it myself by the roadside. I also have Classic bikes and the policy includes rescue cover. My Norton had a rear puncture, my cover could send a number of operator's but they sent the AA. I was very impressed with their rescue set up for Bikes. After 16 years with the RAC-good riddance and I'm going to try the AA.

• Speed of response