Words don't match their actions

• Speed of response

• Customer service

PriscillaCooper's review of RAC Breakdown Cover

“Words don't match their actions”

Written on: 26/07/2021 by PriscillaCooper (1 review written)

My car gave way on a busy dual carriageway at 5:40pm. I am female and was alone at a high traffic place so when I called they were quick only to answer first time and told me I was priority as I was seen as vulnerable and to expect someone to come in 90 mins. I had a text straight away saying my area was busy and to expect delays so they advised to park in safe place so with help of another driver I was able to move my car to a side junction as luckily where my car was near a junction off dual carriageway. Every 30 minutes I got a text saying they were busy and they MIGHT look at patrols in other areas and then another text to say they might look at trusted partner, several texts to advise someone will call when on their way, but no actions. So I waited and waited out by myself and when I realised the texts didn't really provide me any real updates I started to call them every hour and the later in the evening I called, the longer it took for them to pick up. The last time I tried to call was at 00:45 asking for ETA as finally at 00:01 they had advised by text that they were going to send out trusted partner and will get details to me shortly but when I realised they hadn't sent details I made this call at 00:45 and was on hold for 1 hour 6 mins only to be told when they picked up finally that there is a lot of people calling. I cannot say I'm surprised with their text updates giving false hope when really nothing feels like anything is happening behind the scenes. When they picked up this time, they put me on hold to contact the trusted partner and then advised me there was a miscommunication error and the job hadn't been picked up. So this is at 2am, over 8 hours of reporting the issue I am being told its not been picked up and they still couldn't tell me ETA. After this length of time, my fiance came 21 miles in the middle of the night to get to me at 3:00am when he realised there was a chance no one was coming. I hadn't eaten since 2pm and I had no food or drinks in my car. I couldn't even go to the toilet as there were no facilities nearby. It was an absolute nightmare and I was very disappointed RAC were never honest with me about updates at one point at 21:08 I was even given specific updates that they were going to be there in 29 mins, all these false hopes that someone was going to be there soon as I was priority, but I felt if I was priority, and waiting over 9 hours at 3am in the morning, how long were the waiting times for people without priority and what if I had a young child I would even be more vulnerable. When my fiance was on his way to me I ended up getting a call back, the first outbound call made to them about 2:20am to advise me to park elsewhere and they might not have someone until the morning. How I was told 90 mins at 5:40pm to be then told not until the morning at 2:20am very contradictory! They then said they would call me back within 30 mins. 50 mins passed and no response from them. By then my fiance had arrived, checked the car and ended up sorting it himself. So I drove back with him 21 miles and was all fine and got back safely finally at 4:10am. Then I fell asleep of course after such a long day, and I saw a call at 5:20am from RAC and I couldn't believe it, the so called 30 min call back ended up being 3 hours so as a female they were still expecting me to be there for 11 and half hours. Then I saw a text from them saying someone is on their way at 6:00am and they will be there 6:30am at the latest. So then I had two missed calls from them at these times too. So in the end if I had waited between me reporting this and them turning up it was a total of 13 hours and 45 mins. I believe this is way beyond acceptable and if I had known it was going to be this extensive length I would have called my fiance earlier, they should have vene upfront from the beginning and no promising 90 mins wait time. They said they are available 365 days a year 24/7 but don't expect them to prioritise you and stick to their words, because their actions do not match their words. 3 or 4 hours I would expect when busy even 5 or 6 maximum could push it if you know they are guaranteed to turn up but not 13 hours 45 mins and I just didn't feel like they were ever going to turn up and they were putting my physical and mental health at risk.

• Speed of response