132 hours to relay my vehicle home...maybe

• Speed of response

• Customer service

HighlandMac's review of LV= Britannia Rescue Breakdown Cover

“132 hours to relay my vehicle home...maybe”

Written on: 20/07/2021 by HighlandMac (1 review written)

Had a ruptured fuel pipe on my van on the motorway. Took 2.5hrs to get my van and me to the services 4 miles away.
They said they couldn't relay me and the van so hired a car for me to get home and said the van might be back before i am.
24hrs after i got back I rang them as I'd had no word on when it was going to arrive. They told me it was in the recovery company's yard and would be another 2, possibly 3 days. 3 days later I still hadn't heard so rang again. Still in recovery company's yard and wouldn't be with me until at least another day. I was only able to take from the van what I could carry so all the material and tools I was going to use to work on my house during the good weather are still in the van in a yard somewhere.

• Speed of response

• Customer service

Highlandmac's Response to HighlandMac's Review

Written on: 22/07/2021

Another day gone and another promise broken. Still no sign of my van.

Diverford's Response to HighlandMac's Review

Written on: 09/08/2021

Has your vehicle arrived?
Is it and or the contents complete?
Did you have to keep chasing BR for update?

Highlandmac's reply to Diverford's Comment

Written on: 09/08/2021

It eventually arrived, 182 hours after first being recovered, having been driven around a yard until the entire fuel system was empty, when I'd requested it not be driven as from experience it takes hours of effort to get it back running right after being run completely empty.

Contents were complete although all the food was wrecked and smelly.
Only the potatoes were kind of okay as they'd been lightly baked in the back of the van.
I had to constantly chase BR. They never called me with any updates at all during the week and a bit they had my van.
They offered some compensation but it didn't even cover the food I'd lost.

Diverford's reply to Highlandmac's Comment

Written on: 09/08/2021

Thank you for the update. Really does confirm my suspicions that not traveling with the vehicle is not a good idea.

Seven days to get your van back is just not good enough. You could have been enroute to a place where you were stopping for a few days and could have had the vehicle repaired once you were there. Or as in my case, vehicle sold and was collecting replacement 5 days after the breakdown.

Good to know that the van contents were complete.
I've asked BR direct and subsequently via the CSMA on what would happen to vehicles transported separately to the owners; your (and others) comments on here does not give me confidence that BR is particularly interested once they have seen the vehicle recovered and the people a means of getting to their destination.