2 tow trucks & 10.5 hrs to get home

• Speed of response

• Customer service

gvClancy55's review of AA Breakdown Cover

“2 tow trucks and 10.5 hrs to get home”

Written on: 19/05/2022 by gvClancy55 (1 review written)

I took my grandson racing at Darley moor on the above date.

First thing in the morning my grandson complained of feeling unwell and was rushed into Derby hospital for immediate surgery.

I needed to take the van home but the brakes failed.

At 11.05 I called the AA for assistance.

At 11.09 Richford Motor Services called to get the correct location and said they were coming out.

They arrived and said I needed a tow truck (I had already said this)

I waited until 15.44 for a truck.

They eventually arrived and loaded me up.

I thought that since I had made my initial call at 11.05 (4 and three quarter hours) that I would be going home. I was very worried about my grandson, in the hospital having surgery.

No the truck said they were taking me to junction 15 services where they said I would have to phone you for further assistance. They found this rather amusing. I did not !!!!

They could not take me to services due to the motorway being closed, but dumped me on double yellow lines at junction 16, with no toilet, and alone under trees.

I phoned the AA at 17.03 to say where I was and again at 17.25.

The AA phoned me back eventually at 17.59 to say they had ordered a truck and to check my location - they thought I was at junction 15

At 19.02 I called the AA again as I was still sat there, they said the truck would be with me by 19.00 ???? !!!!! Really. Eventually they said 19.15.

It eventually arrived at 19.23 (8.23 hours since my initial call) Now I am a nearly 70 year old disabled old lady sat on double yellow lines in the dark with nothing to eat drink or no toilet. I was in immense pain from a spinal injury and worried sick about my grandson, and my battery on my phone was going.

The truck that eventually picked me up was from Wolverhampton - he was from Burke brothers, absolutely fantastic, and took me all the way home, eventually arriving home at 21.25 so 10.5 hours after my initial call.

This is absolutely disgraceful.

The reason Richford could not take me all the way had nothing to do with zones, you totally lied to me, it was because they do not have tacos in their vehicles, (so their drivers can work 12 hours and do not have to take the breaks, but the down side is they can only work within 60 miles of their base)

This is an absolute disgrace, and you really do need to review your policies. Had I known this I would seriously have though about the cover we all took out. Green flat take you all the way home without stages !!!!!

The AA used to have a good reputation but you are now using far too many inferior sub contract garages.

I suggest you look at these garages and if they do not have tacos you do not use them!!!!! I would have been better staying where I was until Burke were available as at least there was a somewhere to eat and toilets and people I knew.

I trust I will get a full apology and you will review your recovery service.

• Speed of response

• Customer service

The Aa's Comment

Written on: 20/05/2022

Hi there, we're sorry about the delay. We aim to come out as quickly as we can and if a recovery is then needed, the time can be affected by the availability of local Patrols, traffic and weather conditions. Also, we use legged relays within our recoveries to make sure Patrols stick to their driving hours and within their areas. We hope you and your Grandson are okay, and you got home safely.

Mummy2Hhs's Comment

Written on: 05/06/2022

This review is helpful. They sound just as bad as RAC. We had a very similar experience and I was looking to change recovery services. They dont obviously highlight this stuff when they are selling the product. I couldn't believe it when they recovered to 30 mins down the road etc....it's crazy....apparently its referred to as being "legged" something I wish I had known before!!!