Buyer beware!

weir1536's review of Hillarys Blinds www.hillarys.co.uk

“Buyer beware!”

Written on: 12/07/2019 by weir1536 (1 review written)

I ordered two sets of shutters and four white roller blinds. The blinds were to replace existing ones fitted by Hillary's some years ago. The design consultant failed to inform me that the law now requires that I have child-safety catches, and I was horrified to find that the surveyor had screwed them to the walls, without permission, and with short cords we find hard to move. I asked to have these fittings removed and when I rang Hillary's customer service, they said the surveyor would do that if I signed a disclaimer, but he walked out on us.

This is the same company that fitted blinds with long cords in our son's flat in 2017, even though the law had been passed in 2014. None of us have children living in our properties.

The factory supplied the wrong blinds. At survey stage, I asked if I could change two blinds from white to cream, the colour I had had before in two rooms. I said I wanted like for like. The surveyor had no samples, so I chose the nearest colour on the website. I was dismayed when, later, I discovered that he had fitted blackout blinds - not like for like, as I had stipulated. I was not aware that I had ordered blackout blinds in cream, nor did the surveyor warn me that I was not buying like for like. The account manager later confirmed to me, and apologised, that the factory sent the wrong blinds and that they would sort it out, but Hillary's are now backtracking and refusing to replace the blinds because I signed for them.

I had asked the surveyor to put back my old blinds in the three rooms in whioch the wrong blinds had been installed, but he refused because they had long cords and it was illegal to put them up. Actually, the law does not apply to blinds installed prior to 2014 (these were installed in 2009), yet in the interests of safety it is recommended, not mandatory, that all existing blinds are made safe.

The surveyor also fitted two blinds in the wrong rooms, after I told the surveyor where they should go.

Hillary's have left us in a mess. The only thing they have offered to do for us is change over the blinds in the wrong rooms, but one is a blackout blind.

I've been chasing Hillary's for eight days for a resolution and got nowhere. They need to improve their communication and ensure that customers are properly informed about products they are buying. I have spent thousands of pounds with them over the years. They will not be getting another penny.