HSBC sucks ! HELP !

Ingrid_1's review of HSBC Bank

“HSBC sucks ! HELP !”

Written on: 14/06/2012 by Ingrid_1 (1 review written)

I am French and I have been working in the UK for a year. I went to HSBC to open a bank account and I was told I couldn't have a current bank account. Fair enough. Even if a friend in the same situation had a free current account (how ironic !), I stupidly opened a passport account "especially made for foreigners" (hear -a racist rip off for poor lost foreigners). I paid an 8£ fee for 12 months. I have now moved back to France...and worst surprise ever !!!!! I CAN'T CLOSE IT FROM ABROAD ! Even if I have a registered letter, they don't want to do it ! No friend can close it for me.
How did you do to close the account? I dont want to give them any more of my money. I am desperate.

Please email me on [email protected]
Thanks !
Ingrid

Dingding1's Response to Ingrid_1's Review

Written on: 15/06/2012

That's crazy. I would think a signed letter is official. Even a fax should be official. That should be enough notice to close the account and simply cancel any payment from that point onwards. Provided you do not owe money on that account at the time.
The trouble is we don't trust these banks to be 'fair' and there is always the worry that they mess up your credit score with nothing you can do about it.