Classic Mullard Sound

Dynacojoe's review of Mullard Re-issue EL34 Valves

“Classic Mullard Sound”

Written on: 18/12/2012 by Dynacojoe (1 review written)

My introduction to the tube audiophile world started when I heard my Dynaco ST-70 for the first time. It was indeed fortunate that it had a quad of excellent vintage Mullard EL-34 xf2's that still had good emissions and good match as shown by grid shift method. I soon learned that it would be a pricey proposition if one of those tubes burned out and I had to replace them with another vintage matched quad. I figured a burn out was a real possibility for power tubes I would be be running all day.
So I started tube rolling and was finding that most of what I tried was not too pleasing. But soon I tried a quad of these Mullard Reissues from the Saratov plant of New Sensor. I could hardly believe it! They were very faithful to the originals. With the exception of a slight improvement in detail, they sounded much the same as the vintage xf2's to me. They also seem built to last.
I have about 2100 hours on them and they are still as good as new. In fact they don't even look aged and the bias could go without tweaking but I do it anyway. I would have just ordered Reissues in the first place if I'd had any idea how nice these were going to turn out!!