Forced updates rendered useless

Epson Workforce 545
2.5
  • Quality

ellielouya's review of Epson Workforce 545

“Forced updates rendered useless”

written by ellielouya on 11/04/2023

I bought this Epson Workforce 545 printer a few years back for around $200.

Worked great for a little while.

But cartridges cost a fortune. Waaaay overpriced. $60 to over $100 each, and they don’t last long. I print very little. And I only print typewritten matter. No photos. No pictures. Nothing that requires a lot of ink. Yet I was having to replace cartridges monthly.

So I found some by a different manufacturer that performed much better and lasted 6 months or more, for a fraction of the cost. Printer then worked fine.

Then I connected it to wifi and let it update. It’s been a problem ever since. The updates make it impossible to use cartridges not made by Epson. And you can’t just reverse the updates.

At first I was able to open the printer up and leave it open then unplug it and leave it sit for about a month. This erased the updates and it worked fine again for a while. Then I reconnected to wifi but this time I refused updates.

It updated anyway. Again making it impossible to use the affordable cartridges. And this time it can’t be reversed.

After already spending $200 on the printer I refuse to shell out $60 to over $100 monthly for cartridges when much better cartridges are available for around $10.

The printer I paid for accepted nonEpson cartridges.

Epson forced updates that altered it to only accept their overpriced cartridges.

Epson will not get one more cent from me. Not ever.

I see now the price of this printer is a whopping $1115. on the most popular website for variety shopping.

Epson corporation is the epitome of corporate greed.

Anyone wanting a 545 can have mine for free. Just come grab it out of the brown curbside bin on trash day. No thanks necessary. I promise day will come when you despise me for giving you this piece of trash printer. It’ll suck dry your children’s college fund.

• Quality