Terrible to deal with

• Overdraft Facility

Guest's review of HSBC Student Account

“Terrible to deal with”

written by on 17/09/2014

I decided to stick with HSBC for student finance after holding a current account with them for years as well as the seemingly good incentives of the large overdraft of £3000 and the £60 Amazon gift card.

I set up my account in branch and after enquiring about the overdraft I was told the maximum this would be was £750 however this could increase over the years (definitely not the £3000 their adverts promise). In the following week I received my new cards in the post however still no sign of my Welcome Email with the £60 gift card.

A week after the account had been set up I enquired in branch and they told me "they couldn't speed up the email process" and I'd have to "wait it out" which was completely unhelpful. Two weeks later and I had still received nothing so I went back into branch and was told as long as my account had been set up for a week I could go online and register myself to get Student Exclusives - something I hadn't been told in branch a few weeks ago!

When trying to register I was always met with an error message telling me that my date of birth and email address didn't match anything on their system so tried to ring HSBC directly. They changed my email address from capitals to lower case which again was extremely unhelpful as I could have done it myself and still didn't solve the problem. I was told to contact the Student Exclusives company individually as HSBC were not affiliated with them directly. After contacting them, I got a reply telling me to do all the things I had already done and notified them that I had done therefore had yet another pointless response. At this point it was two days before I left for university and there was no chance of me receiving my gift card, purchasing essential items for my course, and having them delivered in time.

I am deeply disappointed with HSBC in terms of their student accounts and I recommend not being drawn in by their incentives as it turns out they are virtually non-existent.

• Overdraft Facility