I have to disagree

• Overdraft Facility

Guest's review of HSBC Student Account

“I have to disagree”

written by on 12/03/2012

I have to disagree with the majority of reviews here.

I first opened (or rather, my father did on my behalf) my current account with HSBC roughly 10/11 years ago, so naturally when I was accepted into university I went to them first.
I went into branch to speak to them and see what they would offer, and I have to say the woman I spoke to was really nice to me. She explained everything in simple terms, gave me tips on how to avoid charges, joked with me about university life etc.; it was actually a pleasant experience.
I was given a £500 overdraft & £500 credit card on the spot.

Once I got to uni I didn't really have to deal with them a lot since the services I already had were enough, however there were times when finances were tight, so I approached the bank who were more than willing to help out. They have never caused me any problems and whenever I had a problem they were the first to help. I needed to increase my overdraft limit a couple of times for reasons that were completely out of my control, and everytime I applied online I got an instant response, everytime within minutes the money was made available to me (obviously, since then this has all be paid off - they may have said yes in the first place due to my credit rating, I don't know, I just know they agreed). When I graduated I had £1750 available to me via my overdraft with HSBC and the £500 credit card.
Even the branch in London where I'm in uni, the staff are really pleasant and seem to actually care.

My experience with HSBC has made me want to stick with them with my grad account and then all my other banking thereon, and I would definitely recommend them to any prospective students.

I have quite a few friends who have student accounts with NatWest, and they tell me nothing but bad things (demands for money, cancelling cards, refusing financial help etc). Granted, this could well be the minority,and I sure all banks do this to a few; and I emphasise that point, all I know is what I have personally experienced first hand with HSBC and I would whole-heartedly recommend them - I would recommend (regardless of the bank) that you look after your finances. Don't spend your overdraft "just because you can". It all has to be paid back and can be vital for 'unexpected' costs.

I suppose if you look after your finances, then you're not going to have a problem no matter which bank you choose, just don't choose a bank purely for the gimmicks they offer - choose a bank for their banking service.

• Overdraft Facility