Classic motorcycle!

• Reliability

AlexanderFodor's review of Suzuki GSXR600 SRAD

“Classic motorcycle!”

written by AlexanderFodor on 07/10/2013

I've been riding for 30 years (horrors! That long?!) and though I was always tempted to get the Suzuki SRAD I never quite got round to it. A month ago I picked one up off the net. Mon Dieu - why did I wait so long?!

The bike is simply gorgeous, leans into corners with confidence both at low and high speeds. Power delivery is smooth, and lacks that rapid lurch into the powerband that many bikes have but then that's only exciting in a straight line and when cornering's your thing that can be tricky - I keep picking the wheel up in corners as I push the power down and am loving it!

It flicks from side to side with a solid feel, and the weight seems surprisingly low, I used to have a Bandit and that felt a lot heavier (plus that had the steep power curve). It is a bit lower in peak power than say the zx6r from the same period but which is quicker on a track? Dunno, I suspect the superior mid range power on the gixxer may be worth a bit in lap times.

It was the style that struck me when these first came out in the 90s though, that classic large café racer tail hump and the voluptuous feminine curves are just so sexy and unique (no I don't take the bike to bed with me at nights!). That's what will make this bike such a classic. There are no others like it, and in a time when more and more bikes just seem to be clones of each other it doesn't look like there will be.

On the style side the only downer is that so many seem to just be the boring old blue and white paint jobs. There are other colours but these seem to be much rarer. Doesn't bother me, mine's a custom spray job!

All in then, give one a try. There's a lot of them around now and at very good prices, plus many were just Sunday poser tools (mine averaged just over a 1,000 miles a year) and they're unlikely to be mega thrashed. Build quality's good too.

Happy biking!