Ball Tearing Sports Tourer

• Build quality

• Reliability

Guest's review of Kawasaki ZX9R ZX900 F2P

“Ball Tearing Sports Tourer”

Written on: 27/05/2017

Bike-2002 F1
Believe me when I say the F1 and F2 are faultless...in every respect...even with stock pipes, stock rear shock and forks and yes, they can be a sports tourer and a VERY competent one at that.
This bike will slay many other machines (even big red v twins) in the hands of a competent rider and will have you dragging knees and looking for the apex. The key....you must spend time...a lot of time getting the suspension and ride height set up CORRECTLY, when you do you will be amazed at how competent this machine really is. A correctly set up F1/F2 will never shake its head or get out of shape and they simply do not need a steering damper, they really are that stable.
I am 48yo, 6'1" and 86kg nude. I feel no need what so ever to replace the stock screen with a double bubble etc. The stock screen is perfect. My shoulders and helmet are in clean air and at 120kmh the 9 is the most comfortable sports machine I've ridden. At 220kmh it is pure rock solid bliss and just humming nicely.
I live in the mountains of South East Australia and regularly do 400km 'loop days' around my favourite roads. Does my back hurt?...nope, shoulders?...nope, knees?...nope, neck, wrist? no. Now the critical question...does my butt hurt?... No, that seat is pure bliss, wide and supportive with plenty of room to slide forward and back.
Good solid tank range of around the 300km mark depending on your wrist and the headlight is nothing short of excellent (the rocker can be positioned half way between the high and low beams, with a bit of dexterity, to have both on at once).
In summary, don't think twice...just buy one. Everyone whose sold theirs now wants them back!

• 2002

Year Manufactured

• 3 years

Length of ownership

• Build quality

• Reliability

Curvecrazy's Comment

Written on: 19/03/2018

Awesome. This has me pretty excited if I do say so as I just grabbed one of these up, in a snowstorm, a few months ago. I’ve still not ridden her but I’m hoping she’ll prove to be the great all around bike so many claim her to be. Mine wasn’t maintained as well as I’d have hoped by the two previous owners and I’m going through suspension front and back now. The rear linkage neve4 got any grease in 33K miles and the forks may have been gone through once. I’ve replaced the rear shock with a Penske 3 way. I’m replacing bushings in the front forks along with seals and oil too for starters (first ride “Yey or Neigh” LOL) to figure out where to go from there to find my “right place”. She seems reasonably comfortable at a standstill but I’m toying with the idea of a comfort bar kit. Your raving review of headlights as “excellent” makes me smile. Why why why do manufacturers put feeble useless headlights on b8kes in the name of styling? Form vs function makes me wonder. Not sure what the prior owners did to the carbs but that’s next project going through that. It’s got a Yoshimura RS1 slipon. I really like the smooth off/on response of carbs vs EFI and many have praised the keihins on the F1/F2 as being exceptional in that respect. Time will tell. The previous owner had lowered the bike so I had to replace the dogbones and back up to stock ride height plus 8mm at the rear shock mount and 6mm or so showing above the triple clamps up front. I’m sure hoping the end result is worth it and I end up as happy as you. A well sorted 135-140ish rwhp is right about my happy place on two wheels assuming a planted and stable chassis with good all day comfort. I’ll probably start out with stock gearing, which various owners claim is “Great” and fettle from there to suit. Mainly I’m wanting good strong acceleration off 30-120mph corners and I see top speed almost never so that’s not a concern. Gas mileage secondary to “right” acceleration. Mmmmmmmmmm. :)