Sick of the word character,

489Kelleher's review of Escape To The Country

“Sick of the word character,”

Written on: 27/09/2017 by 489Kelleher (1 review written)

I like the idea of this show but..... I have several problems which reduce my enjoyment and at times makes me want to throw things at the TV. Firstly, why are participants often shown property that demonstrates many things they didn't ask for or definitely didnt want. Why only three houses in one hour. Too much time wasted showing contestants gardens or woodworking etc etc. very boring. But the one thing driving me to distraction is the constant word character. To me this means old, unattractive, ugly wooden beams, low ceilings and dreary usually dark rooms. This is why so many homes have all the lights on to make the rooms appear light. I detest the sloping ceilings in upstairs bedrooms designed to cause sore heads. i suspect this show is an advertising medium for real estate agents with hard to sell properties. And I can't stand little Jonnie Irwin who is so rude, trying to sell homes which the contestants don't like or homes which bear no relationship to what they requested and being peeved if they don't like the homes. His attitude is that if you ask for three bedrooms, a kitchen and sitting room and if the selected house demonstrates those requests , then why don't they buy it. He has no concept of kerb appeal or style or personal taste. Most people know when they see the right houseinstinctively. And the show's concept of what is a modern house is laughable.