Lousy build quality. Prepare for all plastic parts to break

Qualcast Classic Petrol 35S
2.5

Grantpt112's review of Qualcast Classic Petrol 35S

“Lousy build quality. Prepare for all plastic parts to...”

written by Grantpt112 on 20/04/2023

I’ve had my machine for 10 years now and my wife wonders why I keep bothering with it as it spends more time being fixed than mowing the lawn. In the last 5 years I can count on one hand the amount of times I have finished mowing and nothing has needed adjusting or broken.

I’ve replaced every cog, cable, belt and other miscellaneous plastic parts multiple times. It has never run smoothly from day one, the engine doesn’t have the power to run at low revs and increasing the revs means you have to run behind it. The 50+ year old Suffolk Punch which sits beside it still works and has had basically nothing changed other than the fuel switch and is still a delight to use.

The real icing in the cake is the grass box design. Who thought it would be a good idea to have a plastic grass box sat in a flexible metal frame which vibrates and bends and causes the grass box to pop out of place almost immediately? I’ve tried several grass boxes and carriers and none of them have worked so ended up drilling holes and making a latch mechanism to secure it.

I won’t go on about the cogs either as it’s been mentioned before. Once they break, and they will as soon as you hit a tree root or long grass, they are a pain to replace and require some basic mechanic skills

So if you pick one of these up second hand be prepared for some serious diy maintenance and a lot of time scouring the jungle website and evil bay for spares.

• Petrol/Gas