I thought Bosch was a quality brand. Now I know better.

Bosch Rotak 40 Electric Rotary Lawn Mower
2.2

DavidCarr's review of Bosch Rotak 40 Electric Rotary Lawn Mower

“I thought Bosch was a quality brand. Now I know better.”

written by DavidCarr on 07/04/2013

My Rotak 40 expired in a flash of sparks from the switch array on the handle. It is about three years old and was bought to replace a Flymo I had for 16 years. Until it gave out I was satisfied with it without being particularly impressed. It cut closer to the edges than the Flymo but I still needed to strim so any advantage was negligible. I was far happier with it than the Bosch strimmer though. I felt that it would be better suited to someone left handed it has never felt comfortable to operate, and the strim-wire supplied with it was incredibly flimsy, it broke every few seconds. The machine still works though which is something to be grateful for.

I tried to find a Flymo similar to my old one without much luck. Most in B&Q or Homebase were either too small or hovers (I prefer all the power to go to the blades rather than half to generating lift). I've settled for a Qualcast which came with a strimmer and used both for the first time today. Initial impressions are good but its too soon to give a recommendation. I can categorically state though that the strim-wire supplied with the Qualcast is a vast improvement on the Bosch. 100 pounds for the mower and strimmer combined in Homebase. It sounded like a good deal and nothing has changed that impression yet.

• Electric