Cape Town Experience

aliceelW's review of Projects Abroad www.projects-abroad.co.uk

“Cape Town Experience”

Written on: 13/09/2017 by aliceelW (1 review written)

Over the summer I spent two weeks volunteering in Cape Town on the Human Rights High School Special project. I didn't really have any major expectations going into the project but if I did I'm sure they would have been blown away. While in Cape Town I got to work on many different aspects of volunteering. My first week was spent in the companies legal aid office while my second week was spent in a local township. While completely different experiences both locations were very rewarding and allowed me to feel like I was doing worthwhile work while I was there. The staff in Cape Town were all exceptionally helpful and welcoming which really contributed to the amazing atmosphere felt by all the volunteers.

In the evenings and at the weekends we were also given the opportunity to sight see and take part in more traditional tourist activities. I have no idea how we did it but we saw almost all of the Cape Town's main attractions without ever feeling rushed about it. We saw some amazing views and wildlife as well as visiting places and taking part in activities that gave us a better understanding of South Africa's culture and history. I don't feel like any moment of my trip was wasted thanks to Project Abroad finding the perfect way to balance and manage volunteers time. I highly recommend and hope to travel with Projects Abroad again in the future.