I don't want to be a kill-joy but....

chriswilliams400's review of The Lion King (U)

“I don't want to be a kill-joy but....”

Written on: 18/07/2012 by chriswilliams400 (8 reviews written)

Ok, so when it first cam out I loved The Lion King. I watched it about 3 times at the cinema (with my then GF - she even got me the soundtrack) and if I was writing this a year ago or so I would no doubt have given it 5 stars, but something has changed.

What has changed is not the film, but my circumstances. I now have a little man who I sit down with to watch films and it's got me thinking - What sort of message do films give?

I most cases (Shrek, Kung-Fu Panda, Walle etc) I think the subtext is pretty positive, but for the Lion King I can't help thinking that the message of the film is at odds with what I want my little one to believe.

The Lion King is not about the little guy who beats the odds. The Lion King is about a boy who because of his parents has a God-given right to be a leader. Everyone should know their place etc.

Now I'm sure that I'm over thinking this to some degree, but given the choice I think I'd prefer him to watch something else - Something that says no matter who you are you can make it (if you work hard etc).

I'm sure I'll be shot down for this opinion, but I thought I'd share it as it's a take on the film that I hadn't even previously considered.

• Cinema