Would not recommend, hopeless

From 1 review

CadgeLin's review of Murray - www.murrayestateagents.co.uk

“Would not recommend, hopeless”

Written on: 02/05/2017 by CadgeLin (0 reviews written)

My son moved away to study a PHD at Leicester University. We looked around the area and he decided to find a rental property in Melton Mowbray. He eventually found a property being advertised by Murrys of Oakham. We went ahead with the rental application and from the start it went wrong. Whoever typed up the details did it wrong and the checks could not be completed until we were contacted and put things right.When it came to collecting keys from Oakham, this was very rushed and my son had all this paper work thrust at him and didn't get time to read it all properly.We had no transport and had to rely on trains, it was pouring with rain and the trains only run one an hour and we had to get the train to Melton. I asked the staff at Murrys if someone could drop us off, they would not, so asked them if they could phone a taxi again they would not. So we were sent out in the rain to try and get one, which we eventually did and it cost £32. When we reached the property we were shocked to find the state it was in. It was filthy, no carpets had been cleaned, the windows were dirty inside and out, the bathroom and kitchen were filthy but the worst was the fridge. When we opened the door to look the smell was unbearable, we were nearly sick. It had mould on the shelves and stagnant,green water in the ice tray. I have never seen anything so bad. It took me about 3 hours to get it to an acceptable state.. He had many problems with the property while he was there but any maintenance was not top of their list. Many of the things he reported were not done. He looked after the property and the garden well, kept it clean and in good order. But that did not stop them from giving him notice to leave, without giving a reason. Which I find disgusting, we left it spotless although we didn't find it that way. I would have liked to leave it in the same state as we found it but he would have lost his deposit. Also their fees were more expensive than other agents.

• Rent Property