Ring fell apart

Guest's review of The Jewellery Channel

“Ring fell apart”

Written on: 10/02/2020

Bought an opal and diamond ring set in silver, on the fifth wearing my daughter noticed stone was missing, luckily found it, the claw had snapped off. TJC would not repair it without substantial charge as it was more than 30 days since purchase. Having made silver jewellery years ago I know that if silver is shaped by casting (rather than shaped by hand) as this ring was, it can be affected by minute air bubbles or crystallisation which weakens the structure. Customer service (NOT) was incredibly rude and sent ring back to me although I hadn't requested that. Took it to a couple of jewellers who confirmed it was cast not 'handcrafted' as TJC claim and also that the value was well below what I had paid. I have bought several thousand pounds worth of jewellery from TJC and feel quite disgusted with my treatment. Silver jewellery has been found intact in Viking graves - I'm sure the Vikings didn't take off their rings and put them away carefully before they went into battle! I couldn't even wear mine five times without it falling apart!

• Lifestyle

Channel Type

Stepheddleston's Comment

Written on: 31/07/2020

The 30 day guarantee is totally separate to your consumer rights in that the ring has to be fit for purpose clearly it was not .you need to speak to a manager not the person in the contact centre. They are wrong in law. Also contact resolver which will speak to the seller and push for a satisfactory outcome . It’s called Resolver.