Doom 3 (PC) Reviews

• Addiction Level

• Graphics

Doom 3 (PC) - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Doom 3 (PC)

Doom 3 (PC)

“Excellent graphics and the pretty good design i.e....”

Written on: 17/12/2008

Excellent graphics and the pretty good design i.e. structure of the buildings. Odd arrangement of exploding barrels in the rooms and more bizarre symbols and objects; could have been even creepier!
Well recommend Doom 3 for the PC… Read Full Review

“A good game that takes up a lot of space”

Written on: 16/01/2008 by Glover4Prez (23 reviews written)

A good game that takes up a lot of space… Read Full Review

“I decided to get Doom after upgrading my graphics card...”

Written on: 21/05/2006 by rudeboymick (16 reviews written)

I decided to get Doom after upgrading my graphics card and I was expecting some amazing graphics with gameplay to match. What I got was above average graphics but nothing special, and gameplay that was very lacking.

The game looks pretty good, but it didn't deserve all the hype it got over its graphics. They look nice and everything, but they aren't brilliant. the graphics were on of the main things that attracted me to doom 3, because I do like my realism, but they aren't as good as other… Read Full Review

“Doom 3 is a great game with a full on crazy effect and...”

Written on: 21/04/2006 by Galbytorix (23 reviews written)

Doom 3 is a great game with a full on crazy effect and the game is filled with evil monsters that attack you at every corner. The first stages are excellent and get you worked up but as the game progresses the levels get more and more desperate and easier to anticiapte. E.G 'I bet there's a monster behind this corner' says the gamer. 'o look, there it is...'__ so yuou get my point. The last level is really cool but still freaky with the fire shooting demon thing the size of a skyscraper but… Read Full Review

“I am a self confessed Doom nut, so I had been looking...”

Written on: 09/12/2004 by TOMLEECEE (121 reviews written)

I am a self confessed Doom nut, so I had been looking forward to this for ages. Ever since I first played the original all those years ago, I've owned nearly every version of Doom 3 (PC, Jaguar, Saturn, Snes, Mac, 3DO, PSX, 32X etc) and am still hooked on it. When I heard the specs Doom 3 would require, I purposely upgraded my PC so I'd be able to play it and boy, was I not disappointed.

The story goes a little like this: UAC have set up a research base on Mars and have a large team of… Read Full Review

“OK, so Doom 3, surrounded by media hype, been delayed...”

Written on: 15/09/2004 by o0ricky0o (4 reviews written)

OK, so Doom 3, surrounded by media hype, been delayed and delayed and delayed for god knows how many years, and now we have it, so it better be good right?

The storyline: scientists mess about with teleportation, they open a gate to hell, monsters invade Earth, nearly everyone is killed except you, you're the only person with intelligence enough to use a gun, fight about 1243987243987 monsters, close the gate to hell, go home, nice plot eh?

Now we have that bit out of the way, lets look at… Read Full Review

Particle's Response to o0ricky0o's Review

Written on: 30/04/2005

Doom 3 was only in production for five years and not even that. The game was not delayed and infact came out earlier than the planned 2005 release. Half-Life 2 on the other hand was delayed a huge amount. Your opinion of the game is your own, but the claims you made on delays are bogus.

Read 1 Comment

“Doom 3 - While I think the graphics are nice, I found...”

Written on: 14/09/2004 by emot (1 review written)

Doom 3 - While I think the graphics are nice, I found it quite dull after the first hour of playing it. I kept expecting it to improve, but it never came. I wouldn't waste my money on it… Read Full Review

“After the excellent game that was Far Cry, I sat back...”

Written on: 26/08/2004 by roelkoel (1 review written)

After the excellent game that was Far Cry, I sat back and waited until Doom 3 was released.

Initally I liked Doom 3, the first level was a good introduction. but after the first level the game went downhill.

I'm running the game on a decent PC (Athlon XP2800, Geforce FX5600, 512MB DDR) and have to set it to "medium" with no anti-aliasing otherwise the frame-rate drops to the point where you can't control what happens when you get attacked by a monster.

The game itself seems like a step… Read Full Review

Tomleecee's Response to 167363_roelkoel's Review

Written on: 09/12/2004

I think you have missed the point with this review. Doom was always about running down corridors are blasting things. Just because Far Cry, Half Life etc have more involving plot lines doesnt mean all games have to be similar. Its akin to giving Serious Sam a low score just because there's no plot. Doom 3 is a Doom game and any meddling with the formula may have left fans of the original cold. Some of the points you make are perfectly valid (destructable environments etc), but the industry's obsession with trying too hard to improve an old idea can sometimes result in a mismash of a game (look at spyhunter). Doom 3 is, was and always shall be a no brain shooter.

Read 1 Comment

“I must say, i was very enthusiastic about Doom 3. And...”

Written on: 18/08/2004 by jabronibasher (22 reviews written)

I must say, i was very enthusiastic about Doom 3. And as much as I loved the original Doom, there are certain factors that were slightly disappointing.

First of all, those of you expecting innovation and open-ended gameplay, look elsewhere. Doom 3 is very straighforward, much like its older brothers. The formula is simple: shoot everything that moves using a variety of big guns.

The enemies in the game, though numerous in variety, aren't very smart, especially for a horde of demons bent on… Read Full Review

“I found Doom 3 fun for the first couple of hours, but...”

Written on: 17/08/2004 by towniceman (1 review written)

I found Doom 3 fun for the first couple of hours, but am now at the point were it seems like the same old crap, yes the graphics are amazing and the sound is creepy, but once you get past that there are no real improvments to gameplay, you wander around in the dark a lot inside different buildings. At least with Farcry you had an assortment of environments, buildings, jungle, water, boats, etc.

The gameplay is the same as the first, you run through outpost after outpost killing monsters. You… Read Full Review

“Doom 3 is extremely well made...with attention to...”

Written on: 13/08/2004 by hellKnight2004 (1 review written)

Doom 3 is extremely well made...with attention to detail...realtime lighting, shadows, even dust particles in your flashlight! The sounds/music is awesome, especially if played on a system with 5.1...very scary. Not one character/zombie/demon gets stuck anywhere/out of place (like FarCry, which is just full of bugs!) Personally, I encountered NO glitches during the entire game.

Best plays on...P4 3.2GHz o/c to 4Ghz, 3GB RAM, ATI Radeon X800XT...played on resolution 1280x1024...with full AA… Read Full Review

“The graphics on Doom 3 are super good. Way too good...”

Written on: 10/08/2004 by fx5900 (1 review written)

The graphics on Doom 3 are super good. Way too good compared to those other games. Seriously, I think the game is terrible. It's just another version of the old typical Doom game, but with better graphics. The graphics mean nothing if the game play is no good. I'll stick with UT2004. Man, I can't even imagine how horrible the multi player will be for Doom 3. UT2004 still rules as far as game play and it's way more enjoyable. Anyone wanna buy my Doom 3? It's a piece of junk with good graphics… Read Full Review

Jackalite's Response to fx5900's Review

Written on: 18/08/2004

I agree that the graphics are great but didn't you expect the game to be dark and samely as Doom 1? Having this in mind, I purchased Doom 3 and feel it's brilliant. The sound is as good as the graphics and why have you put no multiplayer? There's a basic multiplayer here, but the single player game is the main focus. The single player game, compared to UT2004 (a multiplayer game) is amazing. If you are a multiplayer fan this won't equal that of UT2004 but otherwise Doom 3 is bloody ace. (very bloody at that!)

Jimscreechy's Response to fx5900's Review

Written on: 23/08/2004

Sorry, I have to agree with fx5900 here. Gameplay (at least for me) is far more important than graphics, which is not to say graphics don't play a significant role in game enjoyment. Typical examples where later games with improved graphics don't measure up to their 'New Improved' counterparts include, Comanche Gold - the earlier version with better gameplay proved far more popular and better to play than Comanche4 and, Colin Mcrae original which is arguably better than all its souped up bigger brothers.
<br>
<br>Incidentally, FX, I think the new unreal isn't all that!
<br>
<br>'See it and shoot it' was fine years ago when Doom led the way in the FPS genre, but now we have come to expect so much more. As titles improve and outstrip the achievements of ancient releases, developers must move forward not just in order to keep us interested, but to realistically stay competitive. Doom3 was released less than a week ago and already I am seeing it on the second hand shelf of 'Computer Exchange' If the developers haven't moved forward with our expectations, and simply repacked an original work of art expecting it to impress because of nostalgia, then let their shortsitedness be their demise.

Read 2 Comments

“Doom 3 - I am running on a p4 3.0ghz 1gig Ram with...”

Written on: 05/08/2004 by skippy13312000 (1 review written)

Doom 3 - I am running on a p4 3.0ghz 1gig Ram with 6800GT graphic card. I am running the game at 1600X1200 with AA set to 4X and all graphics effects set to high. I am having no trouble at all right now with it. However, I have played in nothing but closed in areas. I don't know what comes later so I might have to reevaluate my graphics level then. The gameplay is completely old school. It feels good. You are forced to relearn how to aim properly because there aren't really any near… Read Full Review

“Doom 3 is a great game to see for an hour or two, but...”

Written on: 05/08/2004 by vertex88 (1 review written)

Doom 3 is a great game to see for an hour or two, but actually quite boring for being the same thing over and over. Yes, the graphics are amazing but you need a $2000+ machine to enjoy them and the rest of the game is not up to par. AI is sad, no additional things added, one way scripting, etc… Read Full Review

“Doom 3 - After a quick run-through of the security...”

Written on: 03/08/2004 by CaesarRex (1 review written)

Doom 3 - After a quick run-through of the security level at a Mars outpost you get your hands on a gun and are thrown into the action. The first thing that happened to me when the first level had loaded was the sound of my jaw hitting the floor. The graphics are incredible. FarCry looks outdated after you have played Doom 3 and I think Half-Life 2 is going to have a hard time beating this. With the superb use of shadows, dynamic lightning and a very disturbing atmospheric background audio this… Read Full Review

“So far, I've managed to get my hands on the Doom 3...”

Written on: 23/05/2004 by Daed (3 reviews written)

So far, I've managed to get my hands on the Doom 3 Beta V2. And as this game looms half way through its beta stages, I think it looks beautiful but the dynamic shadows do eat up a lot of graphic memory. I don't think I need to say how dynamic shadows look like but.. it's not like normal shadows on games, these look REAL, shadows cast behind the character and shadows are also cast on the characters body. Light effects are effectivly used in Doom 3, the lighting effects is what will spook you the… Read Full Review

Jackalite's Response to Daed's Review

Written on: 18/08/2004

Doom 3 is a stepping stone for game technology and is a brilliant game, only brilliant due to the graphics and sound but still ace.
<br>I think this but I think Half Life 2 is going to beat the hell out of Doom 3 (literally) because Half Life 2 has it all! Gameplay, graphics, etc.

Read 1 Comment

“Although this may be a remake of the original Doom,...”

Written on: 23/04/2004 by jabronibasher (22 reviews written)

Although this may be a remake of the original Doom, there's no denying that it looks great. Let me rephrase that: It looks incredible.
Sceptics say that its gonna be the 'same' game. Obviously they havn't seen the trailer, otherwise they would've noticed the major differences.

Two reasons. First of all, the graphics are eye popping. Secondly, the creatures in the game may have the same qualities, but have gone through a major facelift.
Even with all these improvements, it's essential to know… Read Full Review