Debenhams Wedding Service Reviews

Debenhams Wedding Service - Ask a question now

“Stockton-on-Tees wedding suit rental - excellent...”

written by RobMiller50 on 13/04/2019

Went to Debenhams store in Stockton-on-Tees to hire four suits for my wedding. The lady who does the rentals is amazing. From the first meeting right the way through, she was lovely, helpful, funny and knowledgeable - even to the details like leaving the bottom waistcoat button undone (dates back to the days of King George, apparently...!). Nothing was too much bother, she knew what went well with what and always kept me well informed. Our wedding was on the Thursday, we picked the suits up the previous Saturday, and the same lady made sure everything fitted perfectly, helped people tie their ties so they all looked the same, and generally made us feel special. If something had needed changing, this wouldn't have been a problem as any replacements would have been there on the Tuesday in plenty of time for the wedding (as it turned out, one handkerchief had gone astray and this was in on the Tuesday as promised). The suits were (in my opinion) very good quality, and I thought the price was very reasonable considering we got the suit, waistcoat, shirt, tie and handkerchief all in the price. We also got an extra 10% off by signing up for a Debenhams card. All in all, I couldn't recommend Debenhams Stockton-on-Tees suit rental, and especially the person I dealt with, highly enough. I certainly wouldn't hesitate to use them again - amazing customer service and a quality product.

“Left the groom with no kilt!”

written by adamreid13 on 06/09/2018

As the groom I had 6 outfits in total at different stores throughout the UK. Despite all of us taking the time to visit and get measured everyone had something wrong with ththe outfit. After 3 visits in 2 days before the wedding and they still tried to supply a shabby ill fitting outfit I had to go somewhere else and pay through the nose last minute to take it home that day as Debenhams Oxford street left me stranded. They take no responsibility, give no money back and don’t want to know. Stay well clear!

“Debenhams Wedding Suit Hire (Rank Amateurs)”

written by 189Sinclair on 13/06/2017

The title highlights how the Debenhams system works. Basically the Groom appears to get a fair service with his store being the lead store, but the rest of the wedding party has to muddle along with their local disinterested outlet. I am guessing that the local store does not get any money out of the hire, perhaps this could explain their lack of interest? In my case the local store fitting was something of a joke they only had trousers in my size so I was not able to try on jackets or waistcoats. Apparently a nuance of the system is that everyone has be the same fit in shirt, so if the Groom is slim fit everyone else has to be! Trying to find out what was going on was a challenge, the only contact number was at Head Office and they could not get through, I was finally left with a direct dial number to do it myself. With 16 days to go and no sign of a fitting I contacted them to express my concern to be told that "nothing had changed" and that delivery was expected the week of the wedding. Clearly having not been properly fitted (nor told the date of collection)it would be too late to correct any errors. Communication with the store is a real trial, even email replies appear to be near impossible to access as their wedding login has no link to access replies only a send button for messages. (well done I.T.) Weddings are stressful times, Debenhams hire service does nothing to reduce this.

“Shocking service and didnt have a clue,,,,”

written by lampshades on 07/08/2016

You go to a big store like Debenhams for your big day and you do all the work it was Shocking and wouldnt go near the place again for wedding suit hire we had 5 suits ordered 3 were fine and the other 2 were a joke we had a mini best man of 11 and he was sent a suit for a 5 yr old and then the other bestman suit was sent to the store and instead of sending back the little suit they gave it back to me and put the last bestman suit to go back i found thos out the day before my wedding a Sunday the manager had gone on holiday but never mentioned this and her assistant was out of her depth she kept saying it SHOULD get here i was absolutely astonished she said should i had ordered these at least 2 months before. The hire place should be shut down completely shocking service for a lot of money this was Debenhams in Derry... WARNING KEEP AWAY.....

“Never made to feel more unwelcome...”

written by on 08/04/2016

Upon arrival at the Glasgow Silverburn store, the gentleman who was staffing the fitting room was condescending and made me out to feel like I was stupid because the measurements I provided online were not quite right. I was handed the suit to try on and told "they were just talking about me, and it probably won't fit", with a smirk and a chuckle. As the store does not stock different sizes, and apparently the warehouse will only ship out one set of clothes for the appointment, there was no opportunity to correct my error. The entire time I was there I felt completely unwelcome. I would not recommend this service to anyone. Debenhams could improve their service by actually offering the opportunity to try on different sizes, perhaps one up and one down from the requested measurements, as different cuts/brands of clothes frequently do not fit the same.

“AVOID AVOID AVOID”

written by 1981Fernandez on 10/09/2014

Never ever ever hire suits from Debenhams. They are total rubbish and the staff haven't a clue. They are totally unreliable. Sent us off to Ireland with NO trousers for the 'father of the bride'. Luckily in the end they had to courier a suit across to Ireland which finally arrived at 5pm the evening before the wedding. Bad communication between shops, had stress from beginning to end. AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Golfingirl's Comment

Written on: 24/02/2015

Eeeeek! Thank you (and the previous reviewers) for your warning. I was literally about to order from them this weekend but won't be risking it now!

Read 1 Comment

“They do not honor promises!!!!!!!!”

written by zpGallagher365 on 07/08/2014

Just 6 days to go to our daughter's wedding and still don't know whether Debenham's at Walsall will be supplying the father of the bride's suit. When ordered in February, we were told it would arrive 10 days before. Early this week we were told there would be a delivery today, but we still don't know if it has arrived as the department closed at 4.oopm and there was no-one there to advise what was happening. My advise to anyone is DO NOY USE THIS NON SERVICE FOR YOUR WEDDING. They are causing us endless sleepless nights and we have no idea whether the rst of the wedding party's suit will be provided either.

“terrible!!!”

written by on 10/06/2014

Would strongly discourage any one to use Debenhams suit hire in Norwich. The whole service has been a utter joke, and caused us massive stress just before our wedding. Not only did they lose peoples measurements, get every thing completely muddled up, there measuring was so far out items of the suits were fitting my 2 yr old which were suppose to be for my 5 yr old and the other way. We got measured months in advance and less than a week before our wedding they told the father of the groom they were un able to get his size, so he is now going to have to wear some thing different to every one else, as they didn't give us enough time to go else were. We are thoroughly disappointed with there service and wouldn't recommend them at all.

“Avoid if you can!”

written by HeathSelf on 29/04/2014

Awful service from start to finish - well I say finish the saga continues on and on! A few of the particularly bad points: they showed purchased items as unpurchased so people bought the same gifts. Luckily they don't appear to have charged the initial buyers but some are unaware their chosen gifts were reallocated. They never sent a 'giftcard' to which all our giftvouchers are allocated to. They didn't deliver some of our gifts so we had to chase up only to find out they no longer do them - will they ever have told us?! Overall, really useless - please don't bother.

“Kalina at Ilford store is fantastic ”

written by PrestonCross on 23/03/2014

Just signed up to hire suits at the Ilford store and Kalina who works there is great she couldn't do enough for you.

“Wedding list failed us....”

written by on 15/03/2013

Hi. We signed up for this as the Brighton store are lovely and helpful - and all our guests are spread out so the online service was "sold" to us. It has never worked though... 3 out of the 4 weeks now it has been unavailable - and our guests are asking us what to do - I am emailing Head Office (no phone number) and they politely tell me it will be next week blah blah blah It is the ONLY stressful part of organising our big day, and making us look like fools.

“Awful, awful awful”

written by BauerJ on 01/09/2012

Please take my advice and do not touch Young's suit hire at Debenhams with a barge pole. I had 7 groomsmen scattered around the country all needing suits so going with a trusted brand like Debenhams seemed like a sensible option given their availability for everyone. So despite arranging an appointment I didn't get to try anything on. List of issues: - Groomsmen receiving poor service, most being told to go away and book appointments despite only needing to be measured. The whole point of using a major retailer like Debenhams was for the ease and I naively assumed slick processes they would have in place. - After complaining to Youngs via email abou the lack of service, I was aAssured that the suit would be available for me as the groom to try on before the collection date - never happened. 8 days before my wedding go to collect the suit to find the trousers and coat both far too long and it will be Thursday (2 days before my wedding when replacement will be in - fingers crossed). So the first time I get to wear the suit was 8 days before the big day and to be honest actually actually hated it but too late to do anything. Discussed my unhappiness as with by best man who said the suit was "alright". "Alright" is not quite the level I was going for on my wedding day. All this resulted in a very upset bride to be as you can imagine. So this morning I threw myself on the mercy of a local suit hire shop. The service couldn't have been more different. Measured me up properly, tried on a number of suits - spent an hour and half of 1-on-1 service which was excellent. I now have a different suit but in the same fabric as my groomsmen as it was too late to re-fit all of them but I feel happy. The suit will be ordered on Monday and delivered on Tuesday evening and they will make the small alterations for my personal fit. Same price as Youngs too. My advice is even if you have dispersed groomsmen is to use a local suit hire shop where all they do is suit hire. I had first visited Debenhams in June, 3 whole months before my wedding and they still cocked it up. 3 months is more than enough time to get your groomsmen to visit you to get fitted at your local hire shop and have an excuse for a few beers in the evening. Whatever you do though, please don't go with Debenhams. Nearly ruined my wedding.

Guest2014123's Response to BauerJ's Review

Written on: 26/08/2014

Exactly the same experience. Our suits with Debenhams turned up 3 days AFTER the wedding! Disgraceful.

Read 1 Comment

“Youngs at Debenhams Ipswich”

written by Dabsoftheyard on 15/03/2012

My son decided to go to Youngs in the Ipswich Debenhams to hire the suits for his forthcoming wedding where we were served by Russell Smith. He is a very smart, friendly young man who knows the full range of the hire products and gave us excellent service. Nothing was too much trouble and he made sure that we were measured accurately, that we were shown a wide range of alternatives until we were satisfied with our choice and that the items were available. All were delivered on the promised date and Russell ensured that all was well with the fit and that we could all tie the cravat properly! Many thanks Russell.

“Avoid like the plague!”

written by on 17/02/2012

I chose to use Debenhams Colchester to hire suits for my upcoming wedding; based on the cost, the suits themselves and Debenhams being a trusted name I felt confident going with them. After the initial fitting and choosing what we wanted we were assured I would be contacted shortly to have a try-on. In five weeks I heard nothing. I eventually contacted them myself only to be told a suit had been waiting for me for the past 3 weeks, but they lost my phone number! This should have been enough to concern me, but what followed was far worse. Not only did the suit not fit the staff member I had to deal with was unbelievably unwelcoming and treated me as nothing more than an inconvenience. I was told (after I had to give my number again) I would be contacted shortly for another try-on. Another 5 weeks passed and no contact again. I called voicing my concern only to be told I should have been contacted as a suit was waiting for me! As it fit this time and was what I wanted I decided to go with them, sorting through lists of groomsmen and fathers of the bride and groom and where they could try on suits convenient to them and a quote. I was quoted too highly, told them I thought it was incorrect only to be told I was correct and it would be changed no problem. When I went to pay the deposit two days later no note had been made that the cost was too high and was treated as if I was making a fuss over something that was my fault, but were very happy to take my money might I add! They assured me they would contact me to amend the price if that was what was required. Again, no contact in over a week! The straw that broke the camel's back came when a groomsmen went for a fitting only to be told that they had no idea who he was or what he needed a fitting for. It was highly embarrassing for the two of us and after a call to customer service to complain, it took a stupidly long time for a member of staff from the store to contact me and investigate the complaint. It was also then that I found this site full of complaints! They admitted that they had made an error with the cost and although I wasn't after any, no compensation was offered and I had to wrestle an apology out of them. This entire process started in early November, it is now mid-February and I have nothing to show for it with my wedding two months away. I took a risk in asking them to refund my deposit and go elsewhere, which I will give them credit for they did no questions asked. I went to Moss and what a contrast! The bulk sorted in my first visit, deposit paid and only took half an hour by friendly and highly competent staff. I hate complaining about anything but do not wish for anyone else to have to put up with "service" such as this, unless you like, rude, incompetent individuals who do nothing but make everything 10 times more stressful. I would never recommend them to anyone.

Hi,

When you get measured the suits come in the Monday of the wedding week, if you want a try on before just go to the debs web site, and you can order one in, to your local store, nothing could be easier!

Read 1 Comment

“Shocking stressful and would never recommend!!”

written by on 05/01/2012

I wish we had read the reviews before using debenhams for our wedding suit hire!!! Suits were sent to the wrong stores and I was asked to go and collect them!! Wrong dates from debenhams for collecting the suits - they weren't in and we weren't phoned in advance. Not one call from debenhams in 10 weeks. My nephews suit arriving with trousers 4 sizes too big, an adult tie, the wrong jacket and a shirt 2 sizes too big - we were asked to come back to collect again with no apology. We asked for it to be couriered to the home address and they said there was no guarantee it would arrive. Other suits arrived at the wrong store and I had to repeatedly request they were couriered to the correct store - it wasn't forthcoming on their part. I had to ring debenhams SIX times to check progress on all the suits - no pro activity on their part. No answer on the Hastings stores phone for 2 days. Totally shocking service - avoid!! One week till the wedding and no where near sorted.

Guest's Comment

Written on: 29/03/2012

can i just add the idea of going for a fitting is to makes sure it fits people are not reading the tearms and contracts that the staff give to you its up till 9 oclock of the day of your wedding for the staff to get it right so why complain about the staff when they are doing there job sometimes it can take up to 4 attempts on children its like hiring a car you cant have your goods till its all 100%

Hi,

When returning your suits please get them back the next working day after it's your wedding day, but why mess up someone else's by not returning on time.

Read 2 Comments

“disaster at DEBENHAMS!”

written by honest69 on 21/10/2011

hi all,came across this site as i was looking to inform anyone who requires info of our families experience when using Debenhams Wedding Hire Service, It was my brother and his now wife who thought they would be a good choice as they advertise a professional service etc and have all the stores around the UK which helps if you have family meeting up for a wedding that come from all over the country as ours do. Firstly the service i found from my local store was hit and miss dependent on who was actually working when we went in for our measurements(they have none of the items in store to try on either) then back again for the fittings,this seemingly was similar to the problems other family and friends found too throughout the UK. The system they are currently using is in transition

Hollynichols's Response to honest69's Review

Written on: 27/09/2013

You can arrange to try on an outfit in your sizes, by going to debs youngs web site, and ordering on line, if all debenhams had stock in every thing they hire, there would be no room for off the peg suits.

“very worrying”

written by on 17/07/2011

I wish I had read these reviews earlier. Our wedding is a month away, but the signs are that we will suffer the same stress-inducing 'service' from Debenhams as previous reviews. Before, during and after ordering six formal hire suits, we checked that our far-flung relatives/friends could get measured and fitted at their local stores, and then finally collect their suits at the Edinburgh store (to save having to carry them in cars / trains / buses across the country). "Yes, yes, not a problem" we were told....until they actually tried to do it, and then we were told that this is not a service that they can offer. So suits will have to be carted across country, or alternatively collected in Edinburgh without a prior fitting (with no chance to correct things if they dont fit). If things improve by the time of the wedding, I will post an update... don't hold your breath!

Written on: 27/09/2013

It's a hire service, not a delivery service, it's your wedding the lest you can do is pick up your suits..........

“Avoid Avoid Avoid”

written by janeb on 12/06/2011

If you are considering using Debenhams Suit Hire for your wedding then I would strongly advise you to think again. We arranged to hire five suits for our wedding from Debenhams in Wrexham. We ordered in plenty of time (about 6 months prior to our wedding date) and chose Debenhams as it was possible for the Groomsmen (who did not all live locally) to collect their suits from their local Debenhams store. One week before the wedding, the day before we were due to collect the suits, my (now!)husband recieved a phone call from Wrexham Debenhams and was told by the sales person (with the very helpful opening line of 'Now don't shout...') that his suit had not arrived. The next day, all five of the boys went to various Debenhams stores to collect their suits where it transpired that a missing suit for the Groom was only the beginning. Several of the jackets and trousers were the incorrect size - they had even cut out some of the size labels, I guess to try and hide the fact there were the incorrect. One of the jackets was dirty and one of the Groomsmen had been sent a black, rather than silver tie because (I quote) 'We didn't have enough silver ties and black was the closest colour we had. Hmmm. In short, a total and utter disaster. Whilst they promised they would get all the problems sorted out in time, our confidence in them at this point was about zero. So in the end we got a full refund from Debenhams and ended up buying five suits from Marks and Spencers four days before our wedding, spending much more than we had budgeted for suits in the process. The whole attitude of Debenhams has been very disappointing as they have consistently refused to take any repsonsibility. We got the same line as others appear to have been given - that the suit hire is from Youngs and not Debenhams, depsite the fact that their brochure has the 'Debenhams' logo printed all over it. Their incompetence caused us a huge amount of stress, both financially and emotionally. I hope writing this review will spare other couples from having the same experience.

“Farcical”

written by on 28/05/2011

Ordered 6 suits from 4 different locations for best men, ushers, bride's father and groom (myself). Each person went into store with written instructions. Suits arrive 10 days before wedding. Half the suits had wrong waistcoat. One shirt was wrong size. Re-ordered shirt and waistcoats and was told it would take 2 days. Phoned after 2 days, items not delivered, wouldn't be in for another 5 days. By that time, I would have left for wedding overseas. Now have to rely on one of the ushers to stay around to collect items. With no guarantee they will be correct this time. These people fail to realise that this is the most important day of your life and they are adding to the considerable stress involved. Totally unacceptable service. Other reviews suggest that in the main that this is true with other stores, and there do appear to be exceptions of good service. Indeed, one of my best men reported a courteous, professional, service. Was first attracted to this service by the suits, the price and reputation of Debenhams. Granted, the service is provided by Young's suits but the sale point is Debenhams, and they should take responsibility. The system is poor in that you cannot monitor what is happening with the other suits (for example to check the correct item is ordered) from any one store. It's worth considering that on such an important occasion, paying that extra bit for a highly rated service is well worth it. My only regret is that I didn't check the review sites before choosing, and relied on the brand name of Debenhams.

Guest's Comment

Written on: 13/06/2011

Absolutely and totally agree, Debenhams wedding hire service is rubbish- my advice is don't even go there!

Written on: 27/09/2013

If you were traveling abroad, you should have put the date of travel as you wedding date, so the suits would come in early, this would be more expensive, but it is your wedding day, and if it's important to you, it's worth it.

Read 2 Comments

“The only reason that this has one star and not zero is...”

written by on 02/11/2010

The only reason that this has one star and not zero is that I cannot give it zero!
We ordered all of the suits from debenhams about 3 months ago, we did this cos my parents and his parents live at the other end of the country, and they could go and get measured near to where they live and pick them up from there, rather than having the 500 mile round trip to where I live. We also had problems that H2B is very tall, and my step-dad is very large, most of the local suit shops could not supply matching suits in both long suits and large suits. At the time of ordering we checked that everything was ok, and that they could get the sizes that we needed, they said yes and not to worry.
Problem 1- there is a new (opened end of last year )debenhams near where step-dad lives, and he should have been able to order suits from there since april this year, come august when they went to order it, nope they cannot order suits from there, they don't have the right internet connection (WTF), he will have to go to the next nearest one, another hour away.

problem 2 - Step-dad went to pick up his suit, there was no jacket, with a note on the suit from debenhams suppiliers (same ppl that do suits you and youngs suit hire) saying does he really need a jacket cos it is unavalible, well it was avalible 3 months ago when we ordered it. After several days trying to sort out suit jacket, debehams are getting it posted out to him.

problem 3 - H2B went to pick up his suit, and it has a note saying 'substituted item', they couldn't get trousers in the right size, so they just put in a different size, 2 sizes too small and 4 inches shorter! they don't seem to realize that there is a reason that they ordered that size! We were promised that the trousers would be deliveredon the tuesday before the wedding.

problem 4 - We went to pick up the trousers for the groom 4 days before the wedding, and arrived to find that the store did not have them.

We do not currently know if the groom will have any trousers for his wedding day, the store are going to try to order them, but I'm not holding my breath based on the rest of the problems that we have had.
I did try to complain in store and got fobbed off with 'it can happen during peak times' - we are getting married the first weekend in november, hardly 'peak times'

Do NOT order suits from debenhams, unless you want lots of stress a few days before your wedding.

Babs18's Comment

Written on: 02/11/2010

I found this review very helpful because...Debenhams are truly dreadful for mens suit hire. They blame the company [etiquette] that they are using, but surely after all this time, they should have realised there is a problem. My advice if you are getting married is DON'T USE DEBENHAMS FOR YOUR SUIT HIRE. Good for your wedding list, but with suits they will send anything in roughly the right size [which means it may not be your size at all], send you nothing, or it will be damaged. Hopeless.

Written on: 27/09/2013

Debs now use a new supplier youngs, They own the stock, and can supply all sizes and colours, the staff can only do so much, all the previous problems were caused by the old suppliers.

Babs18's Comment

Written on: 01/11/2013

I suggest that you read the latest comments Hollynichols from other customers recently. Clearly the problems are not sorted. And the fact it has taken you nearly 3 years to comment on this probably shows how much Debenhams really don't care......or how poor this department are in what otherwise we have found is a good store.

Read 3 Comments