Lloyds Bank Platinum / Gold Current Accounts Reviews

• Ease of use

Lloyds Bank Platinum / Gold Current Accounts - Ask a question now

“They do not cover you for anything and insist that...”

Written on: 18/08/2020 by Lukebutcher77 (1 review written)

They do not cover you for anything and insist that their approved engineers get to look at the phone before Apple do. Apple condemned the damaged phone as beyond repair and state it needs replacing. Lloyds refuse to replace it. Left with a broken phone, with cracked front and back that I cannot make or receive calls on. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY USING THIS BANK ACCOUNT

“Travel Insurance. No chance of a claim.”

Written on: 12/06/2016 by HanaRussell197 (1 review written)

On 3 occasions I have attempted to speak to someone with regards to making a claim. 1st lost baggage, I went without my baggage for 10 days in spain. 2nd Hospital treatment after an injury abroad. 3rd cancelling a flight. Each time I have been passed around different numbers all seemingly very helpful until I come to the claims department which is a different story all together, immediately aggressive, evasive and with no sense of empathy at all. Each time telling me I'm not able to claim before I've even finished speaking! Please please never upgrade with this back. I have banked with them for 30 years and they are a disgrace!

“On line banking”

Written on: 13/02/2015 by qzCrowley429 (1 review written)

I have recently contacted Lloyds call centre to 1) reduce my overdraft and 2) cancel my credit card (which I haven't used for years). Despite cancelling my credit card it still appears my on line banking screen with the same credit limit appearing. There appears to be a disconnect here, in that they either haven't cancelled my credit card account or they haven't updated the on line banking summary of services I have with the bank. Why in todays world with technology do I find myself having to make several calls to a Plc organisation to resolve what should have been sorted weeks ago and when you call you get passed from department to department being asking DP and security questions time and time again! This is so frustrating and I have to find time to call again for issues to be fixed that should have been done right the first time! Rant over!

“On line banking”

Written on: 13/02/2015 by qzCrowley429 (1 review written)

“Keep away from this bank. I went £30 overdrawn for a...”

Written on: 16/05/2010

Keep away from this bank. I went £30 overdrawn for a very very short time and they fined me £92 pounds.

I can afford this fine but I am outraged that this dispicable (so called bank) is hurting people with these un-called for and bloated fines.

Keep - Away. I cancelled my account and hope that you do as well.

Firebyrd's Comment

Written on: 10/11/2015

if you went overdrawn without an autherised overdraft it's your own fault, and if you can afford the fine why did you go overdrawn in the first place.

Firebyrd's Comment

Written on: 10/11/2015

if you went overdrawn without an autherised overdraft it's your own fault. and if you can afford the fine why did you go overdrawn in the first place.

Read 2 Comments

“I expected a better service from the insurance side. I...”

Written on: 21/02/2010 by lesliea (1 review written)

I expected a better service from the insurance side. I have had problems with my mobile 'phone and after four returns I am still without a working handset.The last twice it has been returned to me the repair has not lasted a day. I asked to speak to a supervisor to complain and was fobbed off. They call it a service.
I would have liked to have known the level of service before I authorised a direct debit.
One repair yes, two repairs maybe, still no replacement after four. Unnaceptable.

“I don't have any bank account in Lloyds but I have had...”

Written on: 23/04/2008 by cugiiii (1 review written)

I don't have any bank account in Lloyds but I have had really huge crass service there.

I deposited 1516.67 pounds via Deposit point box at Hanover square branch on 18th Mar to other's account.
Account holder called me that money hasn't been cleared to his account yet on 29th Mar.

I'd claimed about it on 1st Apr and heard it would take 2 weeks to investigate.
So I visited 3 days to check how it has carried out and haven't been told any about it.
Just been told to wait for the call by a branch manager.

It's been 3 weeks already and I haven't got any call from the bank.
I think I was patient enough and waited with trust. I was convincing myself it just takes time but it will be cleared soon.
But!! Manager told me that they can't give me money back because they couldn't find any envelope or any single money even though there is CCTV footage that I deposited money.
I was in a panic and I couldn't talk carefully because of bursting tears from shock at that time.

I remember very clearly the time when I made it because I withdrew money in Barclays which is located just 1minute walk from Lloyds. I've got the receipt of withdrawal and it said it had been made at 10:46.

I was very worried depositing money via Deposit point box because there is no receipt given with that service. That's why I've checked with one of staff in the bank first and did it with trust because he said it would be safe and they will contact me when something is wrong.

But I haven't got any response from bank even if an accident has happened and Bank should take the responsibility for this case because they don't offer any receipt. ( I am using Deposit box in Barclays but they have clear receipt from envelop with bar code and Deposit slip for customer)
Lloyds bank customers have to use that Deposit box on their own risk???
Nothing is logical with that box, please offer receipt for it to prevent people from falling a victim to this case.
(It should be digitalized for customer to check on the spot as soon as deposit has made )

☆☆☆☆☆

“I've banked with Lloyd's for around 25 years. They...”

Written on: 30/09/2007 by johncfield (3 reviews written)

I've banked with Lloyd's for around 25 years. They used to be very well run, with supportive branch managers and very efficient services. In the past few years, they've gone seriously downhill - partly due to some very crass centralisation.

*At one point, they offered me private banking but then never replied when I asked for a meeting and advice.
* When I asked them to check on a cheque book in case it had gone missing, they admitted that they had no idea where it had been sent to. They then, without telling me, cancelled the cheque book I was using. I still haven't had an apology after six months.
* They appear to have wiped off my signature from their branch records, making it impossible for me to cash a cheque larger than £200 without my passport - despite the fact that I have a bank card. Only one branch has come clean about what has happened - others have said that I have to bring a passport and register with the individual branch. They include the branch at the university where I work - who refuse to accept university ID with my picture on it!

It is when you try to take up any of these issues with their customer services that you come to realise how detached from reality Lloyds has become. I've had two confused and badly written letters from their customer services department, both of them showing that the writer hadn't bothered to study my complaint and couldn't be bothered to phone me about it to clarify things.

On 6th Sept 2007, their main customer services line had a message on it saying that nobody was available to take a call (I kid you not!). Of three other numbers I had, one put you in a loop and kept offering to ring you back later, one had been turned into a fax and one was a switchboard that could only try (and failed) to put me through to a branch.

This is a very badly run bank which clearly has become so bureaucratic and centralised that it has lost all concern for its customers. Alternatively, I suppose it may have become so hopelessly complacent that it never checks up to see if its customer services are operating properly.

I'd advise anybody looking for a bank to avoid Lloyd's. I should add that I currently have a lot of money on deposit with them. That shouldn't make a difference. But If they treat a long-serving customer with assets in this way - imagine how callously they are likely to treat a new customer with limited funds.

After 25 years, I'm looking seriously at alternatives.

Dr John Field

“I went into my branch about 12 months ago. They took...”

Written on: 20/02/2007 by macca160670 (15 reviews written)

I went into my branch about 12 months ago. They took me to a side room and said they could save me money. Before I knew it I had upgraded my account. It wasn't until a month later, that upgrading meant I paid a monthly fee, as I wasn't leaving enough money in the account (well it was a current account! Who keeps spare money in them?)!! I cancelled the upgrade immediately, and I happily went back to a normal current account.

More recently I was looking to have a short term overdraft limit. I was looking for £4k, and it came to light that having £4k on overdraft was cheaper than paying for a car on credit card, and cheaper than having a car loan... Excellent I thought. Yet again I was being persuaded to upgrade my account, and was being told how the overdraft interest rate would be lower etc. I asked the girl at Lloyds to explain, and she told me on a current account the interest rate would be 1.44% per month, and if I upgraded it would be just over 1%. What was the downside I thought? And when pushed, the girl explained that for the first three months to have an upgraded account would cost me £10 a month, and thereafter £15 a month ... so how is that cheaper again?? Well, I'd get free AA cover (I already have it on my new car), free travel insurance (which I get with the holiday company I use)...

So to cut a long story short, it will cost me £69 for a year to be £4k overdrawn on my good old current account, yet if I upgraded my account it will cost me £169 for the year?! The girl on the other end of the phone eventually said "do you want the overdraft or not"!! Yep I wanted it, but I think I'll keep my current account thanks.

Ask lots of questions when you are opening any of the Lloyds Bank Platinum Gold and Current Accounts.

“We never thought we'd have to change banks. We wanted...”

Written on: 23/08/2006 by robertriche (1 review written)

We never thought we'd have to change banks. We wanted to be loyal customers to Lloyds TSB. Probably for the rest of our lives. But now we can't because they're taking us for a ride.

I have been a very happy Lloyds TSB customer since 1991, when Barclays shafted me as a student, asking for their measly £300 overdraft back during my first summer holiday as a student. Lloyds immediately offered me a £1000 overdraft so I moved to them and have been very happy with them ever since. When I graduated and got a job in 1994 they were keen to sweeten me as a customer and continued to make me ever-more attractive offers. This culminated in my partner and I having a joint Premier Account (paying £15 a month for some useful, and dud, 'perks') a few years ago. About a week ago they announced that they were going to try to charge us an extra £10 a month, that's a total of £25 a month (£300 a year!) just for the privilege of having an account with them. Crazy. Having had no joy from their very helpful, but ultimately impotent, call centre staff, we did a bit of research. These added-value accounts are nothing of the sort! We now feel like we've been fleeced for the past few years, even though that we were happy because their customer service always seemed pretty good.

Anyway, we've now discovered that by:
a) 'downgrading' our Premier account (at £300 per year and 0.1% interest on our average balance of about £4K) to a Lloyds TSB Classic Plus with £0 charges and 4% interest; and
b) moving our savings to the Coventry BS 'first' account, which pays 5.1% on balances upto £250,000;
that we are going to save about £1,500 extra a year!

Lloyds TSB have shot themselves in the foot with us. If they hadn't put up their charges by 70% on our account we'd have been none the wiser, and would have remained happy customers - probably for the rest of our lives. Even when I've explained our dissatisfaction there was nothing the poor Premier manager could do for us. They have to charge us the new rate. I don't want half the services they offer with the account, and the other half we have anyway (Breakdown cover comes with our car for 2 years, home emergency and mobile phone cover comes with our home insurance). I'm sure I can help to prevent my identity being stolen by being careful, and most cards have some built in protection, so Sentinel is redundant. As for the other stuff, travel insurance you can buy for about £40pa to cover most family travel, and Lloyds offer of commission-free currency is offset by their rubbish exchange rates.

If you've been duped into one of these added-value accounts, I suggest you look at what's included, what you actually need and how much 'value' they really offer you. We were amazed.

Incidentally we used our disappointment at Lloyds to get quotes to compare other services they've sold us, and our home insurance will be £200 a year cheaper with Halifax!

So Lloyds TSB, thanks for the offer of the £300 a year Premier account, but no thanks.

Macca160670's Response to 256526_robertriche's Review

Written on: 20/02/2007

I totally agree. It is a shame really, as Lloyds is a good bank, but their staff must get some good incentives to sell te Platinum and Gold current accounts.

Read 1 Comment

“I have been a customer with Lloyds TSB since I fell...”

Written on: 03/08/2006 by Kieran McGeehan (9 reviews written)

I have been a customer with Lloyds TSB since I fell out with Halifax in 2001. During which time I have been in financial difficulties, but they did not treat me any differently.

With the help of the management at my local branch of Lloyds, I no longer struggle with my finances.
Now I arrange most things through them; My current and savings accounts, credit card and insurances, and I have never had a bad word to say about them.

I can access all of the information I want out of hours via telephone and internet. The Internet Banking facility is fantastic, and it works.
Even when I call in, the queues never last more than a couple of minutes, and the staff are always friendly, helpful and polite.

They do try to have me sign up to a new product every month or so, but they are in business after all.

A lot of other companies could learn a thing or two by the way Lloyds treat their customers.

“Cost cutting, reduction in call centre staff (wait...”

Written on: 01/08/2006 by Robins1 (3 reviews written)

Cost cutting, reduction in call centre staff (wait 'till the new automated service starts this month) it is not for the benefit of the Lloyds Bank Platinum/Gold/Current Account customer. The writing was very much on the wall when a trustees company was floated, and yet the trustees received no payment or incentive. Watch the fees rise as the benefits decrease even further.

P.S. Premier customers be warned - from 5K upped to 7.5k held in a low interest account for what new benefits?

“I have suffered several attempts to steal my identity...”

Written on: 12/04/2006 by Ieuanfawr (68 reviews written)

I have suffered several attempts to steal my identity and attacks on my Lloyds Bank Platinum account (and credit cards), one of which seemed to be linked to the overseas call centre. None of the attempts were successful; I lost no money, but it has been stressful, time consuming and now restricts my choices in the financial market. The bank have been really helpful; closed the existing accounts and opened new ones without question or cost. I am now on first name terms with Account Integrity and the Fraud Investigators.

By agreement with the bank, I now conduct any business with a named adviser in the branch - like it used to be when I opened my account with Lloyds over 30 years ago.

☆☆☆☆☆

“I have banked with Lloyds for nearly 15 years, and...”

Written on: 17/03/2006 by pooj101 (1 review written)

I have banked with Lloyds for nearly 15 years, and whilst a student it was OK, but when I upgraded to a platinum account things went down hill. They are very unhelpful, they take ages to process payments, but they are very quick to charge your account for fees. I am fed up with them. They don't seem to reward customers that have banked with them for a long time, and they just treat you as a number!

☆☆☆☆☆

“I have had a Lloyd's bank account for 11 years, both...”

Written on: 05/04/2005 by Sparky Jim (2 reviews written)

I have had a Lloyd's bank account for 11 years, both Business and Personal. Business service is second to none, could not complain, but the service I have recieved in the last 18 months following some debit card fraud has been totally abismal. The collections centre in Brighton are staffed by rude and unhelpful people - Despite giving them crime reference numbers of NUMEROUS occasions they fail to accept fraud occurred. The Card Serviuce unit compound this matter by taking more than 6 months to log the fraud, and this despite the intervention of my Business account Manager.

Problems are still ongoing, I now have opened another "personal" business current account for all business matters..I pay for the services, but the service is excellent.

“Being an accountant I'm more financially aware than...”

Written on: 01/04/2005 by mk1978 (6 reviews written)

Being an accountant I'm more financially aware than most, and my experience with Lloyds TSB has been over the last 11 years.
I've never had problems finding someone to discuss my account with, and any detailed questions are passed on to relevant departments and dealt with accordingly within an acceptable time period (24hrs) - they're only human after all!
Any services which they've sold me have been of high value and use to me, the gold service charge of £10 per month which I pay covers not only my travel insurance but also my AA cover for my car - not only that but it gives me reduced rates of interest on my loan I have with them.

In addition, the online service is outstanding, and there is the added insentive of upgrading to a Gold "Plus" account online which gives you higher rates of interest on any money that is in the account.

Account transfers between lloyds accounts are immediate, as is cheque clearing between lloyds accounts.

They've given me an A1 service throughout my time with them and I would thouroughly reccommend them to anyone.

A word of caution to those of you reading financial reviews:
Banks ARE out there to make money, you need to be financially aware and follow things to the absolute letter or you will fall foul of terms you've been informed of. You need to always track exactly what is going on and always be aware of changes. You can't blame the bank if through your own negligence you go over your overdraft limit, forget to pay bills, or throw away post from 3rd party companies which are informing you of their interraction with your account. Its not the banks responsibility to look after your money, its their position to provide a convenient service and to give you notice of changes of terms and conditions. - sorry i just don't like hearing stories of woe from people that don't pay attention to whats happening!

“I don't generally write reviews, but having read the...”

Written on: 29/04/2004 by Yi13 (4 reviews written)

I don't generally write reviews, but having read the slating Lloyds have received, I felt that I should give them a bolstering! I have received exemplary service from Lloyds since I was sixteen, when I first opened an account. They have been helpful, and provided me with interest free overdrafts and good value loans when required, as well as sound advice.

Access to the branch manager can be arranged by a simple telephone call and she is always personable.

Judging from my friends' experiences with other banks, Lloyds is the most fair and reasonable bank for students by far.

I am currently looking for a consolidatory loan, and I hope on the next meeting with my manager she will be able to match the best loan rates on the market as I am loathed to go anywhere else.

☆☆☆☆☆

“Lloyds Bank Platinum/Gold/Current Accounts. God, where...”

Written on: 05/03/2004 by eacd (1 review written)

Lloyds Bank Platinum/Gold/Current Accounts. God, where to start... loans haven't been paid off on two occassions when instructed to move money from current account to loan account, resulting in extra interest being charged. Cheque books haven't been sent as promised. They don't offer a service in the branch to pay money from one account to another bank account unless you pay the £20 CHAPS fee... the wrong people call back on occassions that I've asked to speak to a senior member of staff.

“I've been with Lloyds bank since I was a nipper, as...”

Written on: 19/12/2003 by Roger L (27 reviews written)

I've been with Lloyds bank since I was a nipper, as student and now a graduate. I haven't experienced any of the problems anyone else here has experienced. When I left uni and they sent me a letter offering me an increase on my overdraft, I gave them a bell and they gave me the increase simple as. I've also used them for travel insurance quite happily. The only bad thing I would say about them is that you have to order foriegn currency in advance as they don't have it in the branches unlike some other banks.

“Have been with Lloyds since being a child, Things...”

Written on: 17/05/2003 by Max Cottle. (1 review written)

Have been with Lloyds since being a child, Things have never really been good. I had a Platinumn Account (£12per month) and the Gold Account (8 Per Month) and a normal current account. I have had direct debits and standing orders canclelled, without my knowledge cuasing all sorts of upsets, I have spent literally weeks trying to get hold of my Account manager at the branch to sort out problems but she never returns my calls so I have to take time off work to go in and see her to sort out the problems. I have actually on more than one occasion had my account manager whining to me that she can't deal with my problems (which she had caused) because she was so busy. One such problem was where I took out a loan and I was told that £3000 of it would have to go towards paying off another loan, which was fair enough, it was bank policy to have only one loan running at a time. so I merrily went about my business knowing that I had payed off the one loan and was left with the remainder of the other, Month later I get hit with a bill for the £3000 that wasn't paid off, plus the accrued interest etc. Of course my account manager went into hiding and when I finally there was nothing she could or would do about it, because I should have checked my account, and while yes i do agree with that I am the master of my own money, banks should not be makeing mistake like that which end up costing you and extra £3000. I have been Charged countless times for bounced cheques or standing orders because there were no funds available, when there were, then had to hunt down the illusive account manager to sort them out. And don't get me started on internet or phone banking. I thought that the whole point was to make life easier, I have had my password changed without my knowledge or instruction, Also they seem to have a "not my job" culture how many time have I spoken to someone from phone banking and they have said they can't do what I need them to do because they are from the TSB side. Not that you cna actually achieve anything through Phone banking anyway, they always tell me that i'd need to speak to my account manager who I can't ever get hold of. After an argument with my account manager I asked her to close all of my accounts down. Months later i recieved red letters from Lloyds with the charges on top of charges pertaining to the £12 and £8 monthly charges plus late payment charges etc on the Gold and Platinumn accounts that my account manager had supposedly closed down months ago. Imagine my joy...
They Lloyds obviously deemed this as my fault and problem although they did refund some of the charges on the gold Account but say i must pay the Platinumn, I flatly refuse and will happily attend court to contest this. After all it has become more about the principal than the money now.