Epson Stylus Photo 830 Reviews

Epson Stylus Photo 830
1.4

Epson Stylus Photo 830 - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Epson Stylus Photo 830

“My parents have this printer. It is a nightmare. The...”

written by on 25/12/2009

My parents have this printer. It is a nightmare. The buttons on the left give no indication of what any average computer user has to do to get it working! It is so noisy and takes forever to 'warm up' before it prints. Paper jams are not unknown. Steer clear of this unless you have degree in computer science and readily now how to fix the impssoble.

Guest's Comment

Written on: 25/01/2012

i have had this printer for about 6 years without any proplems, it prints very very good photos and is reliable.
i have three other printers but no of them is as good as this one. with reguard to the buttons giving no indication use?,
well thick brings to mind,they just don't make them like they use to.

“I've just reached the end of my tether with my Epson...”

written by Mozzahines on 23/02/2009

I've just reached the end of my tether with my Epson Stylus Photo 830. I've spent a fortune in ink due to constant use of the head cleaning facility, which I now understand only adds to the problem as it clogs the print heads up with even more ink. In my desperation I walked to the nearest ink cartridge shop and bought myself a Canon ip4500 and so far so good. i suppose I paid over the odds for it but I just needed to get on with some work and the Epson was seriously hindering my progress. I definitely will not be buying an Epson again. I'm about to take the biggest hammer that I can find and bash it to bits!

Richardviled's Response to Mozzahines's Review

Written on: 07/10/2009

I absolutely agree, thanks for pointing out important points on this printer. Thanks for making this review

“The Epson Stylus photo 830 was my first printer which...”

written by carick1 on 09/02/2009

The Epson Stylus photo 830 was my first printer which came with my first PC about 8yrs ago ,it has never been any bother to me has always worked when asked,yes the inks are expensive but give excellent results every time. I have just installed a HP Photosmart D5460 - so far so good lets hope that it lasts 8yrs like the Epson which I am still keeping installed as a back up just in case

“Probably the worst printer I ' ve come across on the...”

written by on 07/11/2008

Probably the worst printer I ' ve come across on the market.
The print quality is not bad, but it uses lots of ink, lots and replacement cartridges are not cheap. It also has an annoying habit of telling you the ink is empty when you know it isn ' t (i.e. you've just change it) and refuses to print. It also refuses to print when the "service" is due.
It also has an annoying habit of taking in paper "squint" so that your document isn't square on the page and requires constant observation if you're printing a large document as it has a habit of jamming - woe betide you if you think you can leave it to print a 15 page booklet whilst you go get a coffee!
I've decided after a year to get rid of the thing, its been nothing but hassle since the day it was installed.

“I bought this printer brand new about 5 years ago and...”

written by scene67 on 03/11/2008

I bought this printer brand new about 5 years ago and have hardly used it. Whenever I have it is a poor print and uses to much ink cleaning itself... never again.. now it wont print.. it goes through the motions but wont actually print... My older Epson 790 is a better printer and I have used that all the time for about the last 7 years. Epsom 830... roll on firework night.

“Worst mistake I ever made buying this printer, have...”

written by on 10/10/2008

Worst mistake I ever made buying this printer, have spent a fortune on inks & an age cleaning heads. It didn't help that the first time they needed cleaning half the instructons came up in Spanish. So today, when our daughter needed it for college & it has refused to print in colour, once again, I am now off to by a HP model & if it's anything like the monitor I bought, Happy Days. Will never buy Epson again, particularily since it's cheaper to buy a new printer than their own inks. Therefore do not recommend the Epson Stylus Photo 830.

“I can't wait till Nov 5th as I will be throwing my...”

written by on 05/09/2008

I can't wait till Nov 5th as I will be throwing my Epsom 830 on the nearest bonfire. I will NEVER buy an Epson again. If I see somebody thinking about buying an Epson, I will get on my knees and beg them not to. At work they only buy HP or Canon printers so why I decided to purchase an Epson I do not know. If only I had known then what I know now.

“The paper transport rollers draw less thick paper than...”

written by on 23/08/2008

The paper transport rollers draw less thick paper than they draw normal 80g paper.
This results in a Y-axis displacement which makes it utterly useless at printing on business card or even - ironically - 250g glossy photo quality paper!

“I would think very carefully before buying another...”

written by on 29/06/2008

I would think very carefully before buying another Epson product. Inks dry out very quickly. Colour not good even when printer was first installed.

“Photo quality not so bad however I personally am not...”

written by on 12/05/2008

Photo quality not so bad however I personally am not satisfied with the Epson Stylus Photo 830 because of the ink consumption, and the printer doesn't allow to print when just one colour is finished. This is absurd and very expensive therefore I do not recommend this Epson Inkjet printer.

“Deeply disappointed - the printer decides when you...”

written by on 11/02/2008

Deeply disappointed - the printer decides when you have no ink and even when I put in a new cartridge it refuses to print. Dont recommend this Epson Stylus Photo printer.

“Poor quality photo prints, the heads on my Epson...”

written by longdog cymru on 21/12/2007

Poor quality photo prints, the heads on my Epson Stylus Photo 830 ALWAYS need cleaning whether using Epson or clone cartridges due to banding and/or the print heads drying up. It costs a fortune in inks and then delivers poor quality.

“No two prints come out of this printer the same on...”

written by william mottram on 26/09/2007

No two prints come out of this printer the same on exactly the same paper and settings. Not recommended.

“The Epson Stylus Photo 830 does not seem to have been...”

written by nobody1 on 11/03/2007

The Epson Stylus Photo 830 does not seem to have been perfected as compared to the 870 and 930 models. The use of clone ink is a problem and deficiencies in head cleaning result in delays.

“Have had this one about two years and all in all it's...”

written by RoosterBooster on 25/02/2007

Have had this one about two years and all in all it's been very good
The printer knows when compatible cartridges are used and tends to want to clean the heads all the time.
If you use genuine Epson cartridges you will have few problems.

“The Epson Stylus Photo 830 is a pain in the backside...”

written by kall67 on 22/01/2007

The Epson Stylus Photo 830 is a pain in the backside when you buy new ink and spend most of it on cleaning the heads - I actually went through 24 cycles and even then it had minor faint lines - I think I've beaten someone else's record here of 20 cycles. The paper jams were getting frequent, and even though I had the printer for 3 years, it wasn't heavily used until about a month ago. The only pleasure I got was last night when I took a hammer to the damn thing and threw it in the bin today! Wonder if Lexmark are any good?

“I bought this Epson Stylus Photo 830 printer about 3...”

written by bbwoolfy on 03/12/2006

I bought this Epson Stylus Photo 830 printer about 3 years ago when it first came out and it has never worked satisfactorily. Until now I thought I was alone, but from reading the other user reviews, it seems that this printer is a duff model and it isn't just my printer - like I've been led to believe by Epson customer service, who ask whether you're using genuine Epson ink cartridges right off. Presumably so that they can blame the problem on you if you are using 3rd party ones!

The printer has only worked properly about 10% of the time and guzzles ink as it constantly needs to be cleaned. Each and every use, even after 10+ cleaning cycles it still didn't improve - and often the print quality worsened! The really irritating thing is that even if you're only wishing to print using black ink, cleaning the print head uses the coloured ink also as the black and coloured ink share a print head - so watch your ink disappear fast! As a result of all this, I've never actually managed to print a single photo!

I wish I could say this is the only bad experience that I've had with an Epson printer, but my previous printer was an Epson Stylus Colour II and I had the exact same problem with that - although it did actually work for a while before the problems began.

Avoid this model at all costs, and seriously think twice before purchasing any Epson printer. I recently checked out several new printers and both the Epson R265 and DX6000 used about double the ink than comparative Canon and Lexmark models.

281478_Nobody1's Response to bbwoolfy's Review

Written on: 11/03/2007

The Epson Stylus Photo 830 printer seems to be deficient when compared with the 870 and 930, especially in the use of clone ink and head cleaning. This comment being made attempting to use a 2nd hand model, so may not be altogether fair.

“I will never, ever, buy another Epson printer. I had...”

written by Gervais Sawyer on 27/12/2005

I will never, ever, buy another Epson printer. I had seen the quality of a colleagues Epson and was impressed, so I bought the Epson Stylus Photo 830 inkjet printer.

You spend your life cleaning the heads and using ink (and expensive paper). The cleaning utility is obscurely hidden in the software. It is slow, and the colour balance is usually poor. By contrast, my HP 5550 that is only three colours and black (Epson 5 colour and black) is fast, reliable, and gives better prints. I shall probably just throw it away soon.

“Although this gives great output when the printer is...”

written by bau98171 on 04/07/2005

Although this gives great output when the printer is working, I am constantly wasting time and money cleaning the print heads. My record so far is to have to clean the print heads through 20 cycles, before I even got a half decent test sheet. By that time, I have wasted so much ink, I then have to change to a new cartridge. What a waste of time!

219585_Lusciousluke25's Response to 200352_bau98171's Review

Written on: 04/12/2005

I currently have 50 cartridge, do you recycle used cartridge inks, are you donating any gifts i.e vouchers, discounts on future items. On my Epson R200 i have Photoimpression 4

219585_Lusciousluke25's Response to 200352_bau98171's Review

Written on: 04/12/2005

What are the function difference between R820 & R200, overall i'm happy with the R200

“Epson Stylus Photo 830: I was disappointed with the...”

written by caffers on 01/07/2005

Epson Stylus Photo 830: I was disappointed with the ink drying out all the time, needed half of full colour cartridge to get heads clean again.