Nikon FG Reviews

Nikon FG - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Nikon FG

Showing star rating of:

(cancel refinement)

“I bought this camera new in 1982 and have used it...”

Written on: 25/10/2009

I bought this camera new in 1982 and have used it since. It has yet to let me down. It has always perfromed flawlessly. I don't recall the purchase price, but I have received a great return for the money… Read Full Review

“Excellent camera. The Nikon FG is small and light but...”

Written on: 03/09/2009

Excellent camera. The Nikon FG is small and light but very capable… Read Full Review

“Nikon FG is a great camera, it greatly improved my...”

Written on: 20/07/2009

Nikon FG is a great camera, it greatly improved my photography. i couldnt be happier with this camera. over all i would go with the FA it costs a bit more but it has more shutter speed, pc sync and depth of field preview. but for beginners, this is the best camera in the world no joke!… Read Full Review

“I own two Nikon FG SLR cameras, and I have been...”

Written on: 15/09/2005 by Lesandgd (2 reviews written)

I own two Nikon FG SLR cameras, and I have been through some very rough terrain with both (one loaded with the standard lens, and the other with a Vivitar 70-210 zoom lens), and have not had any problems with them at all. One was dropped from a considerable height and is still working like new, even though the Data Back has a bad marking on it. My only problem is that my eyesight is starting to fail, making it harder to focus than when I purchased them back in 1989. I like all the features… Read Full Review

“I just got a Nikon FG, given to me by my uncle, which...”

Written on: 16/09/2004 by fatfreesyrup (1 review written)

I just got a Nikon FG, given to me by my uncle, which used to be my grandfather's, along with a Soligor 80-200mm and a Hoya 52mm. I have read great reviews on this camera but one possibly small problem. When the exposure compensation dial is on the green A or red P, the shutter sticks closed when I take a picture, but if I turn the dial to the b, it opens. If the dial is on the b when taking a picture it doesnt stick.

I need someone to tell me if it does this because it is broken or is just… Read Full Review

Masters1's Response to fatfreesyrup's Review

Written on: 02/10/2004

Looks like you need to change the battery!

Read 1 Comment

“I have owned my FG for over 20 years and it has never...”

Written on: 14/06/2003 by Don. (1 review written)

I have owned my FG for over 20 years and it has never given me a problem. I have literally dragged it through the deserts of Israel and Saudi Arabia, on helicopters, in Norway winters, and the jungles of South East Asia, and in rain, sleet, snow, hail, and sandstorms and it has yet to let me down. Rugged, light weight, forgivable, and, most importantly, takes great pictures. I love the 28mm and 50mm Nikon E lenses, and also use a old Tamron 80-200 (could be better), and a great Sigma 28-105… Read Full Review

Billmee's Response to 107187_Don.'s Review

Written on: 23/12/2004

I agree. I've had mine for 20 years and abused it badly. Takes great pictures that I can easily control or let the camera help control the results. I'm not selling!

Shoop's Response to 107187_Don.'s Review

Written on: 24/12/2008

I found this review helpful because...I got into Digital some time ago and used it instead of SLR cameras. My Lumix DMC-FZ20 is the Digital camera I was looking for. I have always had an interest is SLR cameras and I purchased a Nikon F70 recently. I was surprised how good the picture colors and sharpness are and I purchased a Nikon FG-20 to continue my SLR interest. I have not put a film in the FG-20 yet and curious how good my photographs will be. This is the first review I have read about the FG-20 that does not mention any faults with the camera. I cannot find any faults with this camera either. The FG-20 is not Digital and was made long before Digital. As I remember the first Digital cameras were no where near as good as they are now. It would not surprise me if the FG-20 pictures are as good the review says they are.

Read 2 Comments

“excellent ”

Written on: 09/05/2003 by Prashant. (1 review written)

excellent… Read Full Review

“This camera did everything I asked of it, whether...”

Written on: 18/04/2003 by Lynn_uk. (1 review written)

This camera did everything I asked of it, whether daylight, indoor or night, long exposures, action capture or just fun pics. I used to take this camera everywhere with me and had many years of plearsue from it, I am hoping now to purchase one second hand. Like a puppy the nikon FG is for life. I have now learned my lesson.
Lynn_uk… Read Full Review

“Pictures are sharp whether distance or macro. Easy to...”

Written on: 12/04/2003 by Candace Carman. (1 review written)

Pictures are sharp whether distance or macro. Easy to use. Controls easy to handle even with arthritis (unlike some of the digital) Is not delicate. See my photos at www.candcecarman.com and http://rosenotecards.bizhosting.com for pictures all taken with Nikon FG… Read Full Review

95769_Barry.'s Response to Candace Carman.'s Review

Written on: 08/05/2003

Great review. After reading, I think I will purchase this camera (used).

Read 1 Comment

“This little marvel, is a true Nikon manual camera....”

Written on: 19/11/2002 by Jaye. (1 review written)

This little marvel, is a true Nikon manual camera. Don't let the size fool you, the FG stands on its own against the top of the line manual cameras, made by Nikon. This is the foundation for the new Nikon FM3A, manual camera. TTL, and OTL metering, the first, for Nikon. Hey, when the batteries are dying on ya, you can just switch over to the M90, setting, and the camera will work. M90, and the B settings are mechanically operating, so you bypass the dead batteries, and continue shooting. Hey… Read Full Review

75368_Andy.'s Response to 51877_Jaye.'s Review

Written on: 24/02/2003

I used to have a Nikon FG. Using a Sigma 24mm f2.8 I took a picture which still sells today of a B17 Bomber in the setting sun. That picture, and the money I made(and still continue to make) from it paid for an F3P, F4S and 11 different lenses from 17 to 600mm. I miss my FG. I might try and find another one some day...

Fatfreesyrup's Response to 51877_Jaye.'s Review

Written on: 16/09/2004

I just got a Nikon FG given to me from my uncle, which used to be my grandfathers, along with a soligor 80-200mm and a hoya 52mm. I have read great reviews on this camrea but one possibly small problem.
When the exposure compensation dial is on the green A or red P the shutter sticks closed when I take a pic but if I turn the dial to the b it opens. If the dial is on the b when taking a pic it doesn't stick.
<br>
<br> I need someone to tell me if it does this because it is broke or just something easily fixable.
<br>thanks my I would greatly appreciate it.

Sue Flanagan's Response to 51877_Jaye.'s Review

Written on: 16/07/2004

Just purchased the FG on e-bay at a remarkable (for me) price w/a cosina lens; need some help w/it as there is not an instruction book available and a few of the settings I am not familiar with. Otherwise seem to be quite happy w/it; have also a FG-20 w/a telephoto; am pretty much of a beginner have only been playing for about 4 yrs but am very excited w/both Nikons! So if anyone around has a copy of the instruction book that is not being used or could copy it and send on, please help. Name: Sue Flanagan
<br>e-mail: suzyflanagan@yahoo.com
<br>
<br>Thanks

Dave E.'s Response to 51877_Jaye.'s Review

Written on: 14/05/2003

The FG was my first camera, bought back in '93. I took it to Nepal in '94 with a Tamron SP 28-135 (from memory) and shot 30 rolls of Velvia with it. Every shot turned out as desired and some even made it to press. I recall the FG shooting when all other cameras had stopped due to the -60deg C conditions! A great little camera that has been sitting in the cupboard since the F90X arrived and more recently, the D100. Time to dust it off and get out there again! I did love the FG very much.

77367_Nawlins Rick.'s Response to 51877_Jaye.'s Review

Written on: 04/03/2003

Unfortunately my FG sits in the closet and collects dust since the purchase of a megapix digital camera. This camera has been used for everything form fireworks photography at the 89 World's Fair to being slung in the car to go on vacation. It has been reliable and taken massive abuse coming back like a champ every time. It was dropped down the concrete battre' (side of the levee)on the MIssissippi River and never missed a shot. I highly recommend it to the amature or the professional.

Read 5 Comments