Churchill Car Insurance Reviews

Media Gallery for Churchill Car Insurance

Churchill Car Insurance
Churchill Car Insurance

“Completely Incompetent”

Written on: 15/12/2021 by Evanu435 (1 review written)

I renewed my car insurance with Churchill in July 2021 and thought that would be the end of it for another year. I set up a direct debit as instructed. A couple of weeks later I received a letter saying that the insurance was about to be cancelled through missed payments. I waited on the phone for an hour and a half and eventually spoke to someone who said it was a problem from the Churchill side and would I mind completing the forms again. I did so but a couple of weeks later I received the same letter saying that I had missed payments and the policy would be cancelled through non payment. This continued throughout the months until December 2021. This isn't something that can be rectified on line the customer has to wait up to an hour and a half to speak to a representative. In December I received a letter to say that my insurance had been cancelled several weeks before. This meant I had been unknowingly driving an uninsured card. The letter said I must make the final outstanding payment. Once again after being on the phone for over an hour I finally got through to a representative who took me through the payments system to settle the final bill and be forever rid of Churchill. At the final stage once I had given all the card details and the CVV number the representative said there was a glich in the system and the payment hadn't gone through. She would call me the next day to take the final payment. She did so and I paid over the phone. Looking at my bank details the next day I realised that the payments had been taken twice and so back to the phone queue to wait for over an hour to speak to the right person. She then said that the was no notification at her end that the payment had been taken twice but they would look into it and call me back. That was on the 7.12.21 It's now the 15th December and in spite of me submitting my availability dates and times to take a call no one has called me back. I have phoned, sent an e mail and am now writing this review to warn others of the complete incompetence of Churchill Insurance. In the meantime I re insured the car though the RAC who uses AXA insurance. I completed the process in 20 minutes including setting up the direct debit and touch wood; so far so good.

“Incompetent company. ”

Written on: 16/08/2021 by 246Mills (1 review written)

Unprofessional, incompetent bunch of people unable to do their job properly! Churchill insurance services shuffle their end obligations and dropped their expenses on me and my family.Bottom line the money we had saved for our kids life expenses like education,essentials gone. I will never ever recommend churchill to anyone! Direct line insurance people should be aware who are they working with! People stay away from those discriminative people! Disgusting work practice!

“Charged £32 change of address”

Written on: 17/03/2021 by Charged32 (1 review written)

I Got charged £32 for changing address even though I did it myself online, administration fee £28 plus vat. My husband changed his for nothing on different company. He was told if he does it online its free but over the phone that's when he get charged so he did it free online. I was told the charge was to do with the car type, how many accidents of similar cars in the area, also to do with post code something wasn't discussed when I got insurance. My insurance is due to expire in 10 weeks and cant wait to renew with a different company. I will not recommend anyone to use this company if you will have to move house.

“dont waste your money ”

Written on: 27/07/2020 by Peckrf420 (1 review written)

I drive a mk1 Leon cupra. I insure my car fully comp with Churchill. The other week a lorry drove into me while I was sat stationary in the slow lane behind traffic. Churchill valued my car at £600 extremely low for a cupra and wasn't the price I insured it as before they started taking my money every month apparently my excess was £700 the driver took liability and his company offered to do the repairs which I didn't want to do after reading the lorry companies reviews but Churchill are refusing to contact his insurance to even get liability to pay me out so in result not getting a penny even though they had already tricked me on the value of my car offering penny's they even got a company to call to collect my car before even telling me I'm getting nothing. I have mobility issues and rely on my car I pay my insurance every month on little income to now be left with a written off car no pay out for repairs and having to continue paying every month for insurance on a car I cant drive. Seriously don't use Churchill

“Guaranteed Bonus is deceitful”

Written on: 29/05/2020 by Gazzer1956 (1 review written)

I strongly suggest you do NOT pay Churchill Insurance the additional premium to guarantee your no claim discount. I expect the same applies to Direct Line and Privilege who are also owned by the same underwriters, UK Insurance Ltd. My stepdaughter did and was involved in a minor accident where both parties were at fault and the damage to her car was so minimal that she did not even bother to get it fixed. When her renewal from Churchill arrived she still had the maximum no claims discount but they had hiked her premium because of the accident and when it was queried with them apparently this is standard practice even if you are involved in any accident and have paid them extra money to protect yourself. I think this is a deceit, she paid extra to have her bonus protected only for Churchill to penalise her in another way. Their explanation was the bonus was guaranteed but they reserve the right to increase premiums if someone is involved in an accident. Had she been involved in a number of accidents then it would be more acceptable but for one minor accident it is not. Apparently they paid out nearly £1000 to the other party and when they were asked to provide copies of invoices etc. to substantiate this they refused. Where is the accountability and transparency, do they have something to hide? By the way the other vehicle was much larger so why they agreed to pay this amount considering the minor damage to her car and the fact both parties were partially to blame is a mystery. No wonder insurance companies have a bad name when it comes to dealing with customers. So if you want to not be able to get information which really you are entitled to then by all means insure with Churchill, my stepdaughter certainly will not. She will also not be using the other companies owned by UK Insurance Ltd, Direct Line and Privilege either for the same reasons. If I could give them zero stars then I would.

“I would never use this company again”

Written on: 23/09/2018 by NoelleDonahue1945 (1 review written)

I had a no fault claim (19 year old with a black box drove into the back of me and accepted it was her fault). Her insurance company offered to pay, I wish I had taken them up on the offer. Spent hours on the phone to Churchill with various people - they sent me a letter confirming my no claims was intact, then denied my no claims was intact, then asked why I was ringing about my no claims as they had already sent me a letter saying my no claims was intact (YES I know but another part of your company is denying this). it became almost surreal. I will never take insurance out with this company again. They have now sent me 6 letters cancelling my insurance, reinstating my insurance, cancelling it again and giving me various different refunds. Truly awful.

“unfair treatment of a loyal customer”

Written on: 07/08/2017 by Malakic272 (1 review written)

I would never use this company again. They took 7 months to get back to me about my claim and then said they could only pay 50% of costs, leaving me with £350 and increased premiums to pay! If they had done their job properly and had contacted me promptly, I believe this could have been avoided. Instead, they are happy to pass the cost to the customer.

“I cancelled my insurance as I sold my car and was not...”

Written on: 06/08/2017 by robertlister (1 review written)

I cancelled my insurance as I sold my car and was not replacing it. These people charged me £52.80 to cancel. Disgusting that a company can take money from people and not be charged in court for their actions. I have contacted the Ombudsman to see what can be done about his horrendous company. A suggestion I have for this outfit is put a mask on the dog advert, this will sum the company up.

“Would never use again”

Written on: 29/07/2017 by 325Foley (1 review written)

Really disappointed with service (or lack of it). They have not been helpful in trying to resolve a claim that was not my fault and don't believe them when they say "curtesy car as standard" I was informed that I would not be entitled to one until my car had been assessed which was going to take days, not much good to me when I live in a village and run my own business!!! Never again would I use them and I certainly would not recommend to anyone. Take out insurance with Churchill at your peril

“Avoid if possible getting hit!!!!!”

Written on: 13/04/2017 by 16MacLean (1 review written)

Absolutely disgusting service. Pray you never get hit by one of their insured drivers I feel for the person who hit my car if they receive the same level service as I/my insurance have had from them. The admit liability but still waiting for money a month later. They send cheque with wrong name on it so it has to go back. Still waiting!! I've been in a courtesy car at their expense for two and half months as it took them a month to accept the value given on my car I just want a car of my own again. Found one after weeks of searching and borrowed the money off a very good friend as I had missed out on other cars waiting the money. Because the claim not closed as Churchill has not paid up its going to cost me nearly 3 times as much to insure a car that's 3 years older than my old car even though it has a smaller engine too. Are they going to compensate for having to pay the extra nearly £50 per month? Highly doubt it. You don't have a conscience and from the other reviews it seems your passing the costs on to your other customers for your lack of urgency and inept administration to settle claims. It's disgusting!!!

“Made two claims”

Written on: 22/03/2017 by Dudleyvb363 (1 review written)

I have unfortunately had to make two claims this year both third parties admitted liability. I wanted to say how well Churchill insurance dealt with the two claims, from my first call to the arrangement of the hire car being delivered to my car being collected by the garage superb service, definitely would recommend this company for car insurance.

“Lazy and useless”

Written on: 17/02/2017 by GavinHardy367 (1 review written)

What a useless, lazy and terrible company that I will never have anything to do with again. Claims have not a clue how to do there job, after getting side swiped, made a claim. Claims never got back to me constantly having to ring them to find out they had done nothing, never chased ather insurance company that kept ignoring them. They ended up accepting partial blame on my behalf and didn't even let me know.

“Poor Customer Service”

Written on: 28/12/2016 by Christinag82 (1 review written)

Involved in a car accident Christmas day so expected to wait until 27th December for anything to happen. The person who initially dealt with the claim was great but since then the experience has been very poor, car only collected today after chasing up and complaining and no courtesy car delivered to replace the car. Informed a courtesy car will not be issued until repairs take place which could be some time, this is not clear in the policy document and churchill are clearly doing the bare minimum to assist their customers in their time of need. The representative today also quoted information that was not in the policy document, saying a courtesy car would only be provided if available, the policy does not state this!

“Poor customer service with inaccurate information...”

Written on: 17/11/2016 by JaxonMeredith (1 review written)

My car was stolen and for weeks Churchill chose to be completely inactive on the case. Obviously this is a definative business choice, where if they do nothing they don't have to pay out. In terms of call handlers some stick to the script with no empathy for how your ongoing claim is affecting your life. Some give factually incorrect information out which could have very serious ramifications. Communication with customers isn't use of snail mail with little acknowledgement of electronic methods of communication. When dealing with complaints no one ever takes ownership or responsibility so you spend 25 minutes on hold another 20 mins explaining your point of view for someone else to be given the issue to resolve without any understanding of why you feel disgruntled. Churchy I have news for you.... You are getting your service wrong and your profits will start to feel it soon. The amount of reviews on here with only one star is waaaaay too many and isuspevt that more people, like myself would have given no stars if it was an option. As a company you have become too big for your boots and don't care about your customers. Don't do it folks. If it's the cheapest policy it's not worth saving A few pound. If your thinking of buying because it's a reputable reliable brand: think again and read the reviews there is nothing respectable going on here.

“SHOCKING DO NOT USE!!”

Written on: 14/11/2016 by AndyG14 (1 review written)

***WORTH READING*** After uploading my NCD certificate into the Churchill customer portal and been accepted I obtain my insurance certificate and all is well, or is it......... A few weeks after taking out my policy I receive a letter advising I owe money to Churchill for an overlap on my NCD against another vehicle. I question why I would pay this £42 charge when my NCD certificate was accepted and money taken from my account, for the new policy no response from Churchill. I then receive a second letter advising Churchill can no longer insure me past August 2017. Ok no issue I will go hunting for a better deal next year. Still they take payments from my account. A week passes by and then I receive a letter (back dated) advising me I am no longer insured on my vehicle and my policy is void. To put it into context I had been driving nearly a week completely oblivious I was uninsured because Churchill decided to cancel my insurance policy without any notification other than a letter advising my policy would end in August 2017. What started as a small discrepancy about a fee surrounding my NCD has now quickly escalated into a potential small claims for Churchill as I've taken it to a lawyer to deal with. Churchill kept all of the money I paid for my policy, have taken no responsibility for their admin faults, I've had to take out a brand new policy with another provider and to compound how bad Churchill are they then charged me an extra fee because somehow their issue is my fault and their customer services team have gone into hiding as no one their has the decency to do the right thing and call an ex customer to smooth it over and accept liability. An abysmal company with zero morals, no customer care and no responsibility to their customers or other road users. I would hate to think what would have happened if I had crashed Churchill.

“Buyer beware..the dog bites.”

Written on: 14/06/2016 by 300Chapman (1 review written)

Renewed policy although it had an increase of approx £50, (I hadn't had any claims) I paid in full and received my certificate within the week,4 weeks later I received another letter from CHURCHILL to say due to regulatory changes I was not now covered for breakdown but could add it for an extra charge as last years was free ! What a rip off..why did they not tell me of this before I renewed, I will not be feeding the dog next year.

“cannot even get them to renew”

Written on: 08/04/2016 by jgDickson1984 (1 review written)

by policy was up for renew - spent over 40 minutes on hold waiting to get through before giving up.

“Most expensive insurance around, and when I tried to...”

Written on: 13/03/2016 by lzEdwards329 (1 review written)

Most expensive insurance around, and when I tried to use breakdown assistance wanted to charge me .insure anywhere but here

“Churchill Van Insurance nothing but a badly run joke”

Written on: 23/02/2016 by Paddyscott (1 review written)

Have been with Churchill insurance for along time and always thought they were great , but when I called to insure my van I was transferred on to there van site this were it all went wrong . First they wanted my 9 years no claims bonus contacted Churchill and then emailed over to them . Then received letter we have not received and will cancel your insurance, so resent by email again . Then wanted a copy of my licence again emailed over again said they would cancel my insurance ?? so again resent, and my email trail was good proof and getting larger and then said we need your proof on no claims bonus by this time no very happy called up Churchill and they said it had been sent to there van site . Then I get a call from Churchill van site saying they are going to cancel my insurance if they dont receive a letter with no claims on .so called up Churchill customer service they were great but explained it was a different company that looks after then van insurance they looked a my email trail and said everything I was asked for I had done and could not understand why Churchill van insurance keep threatening to cancel my insurance. So I get a voice mail from Churchill van insurance people BRIGHTSIDE Saying your insurance has been cancelled ???? so back on to Churchill they also could not understand why my insurance had been cancelled by there Van insurances BRIGHTSIDE I was transferred to Brightside insurers customer service to a very ignorant male who would not listen to me just kept saying its been cancelled and my manager says he will waver the cancellation fee ??????? so you dont have to pay that, and said if you want to get us to insure you again he will transfer me to there sales line.? I have now got to a competitor for insurance. A message to Churchill insurance you need to dump BRIGHTSIDE insurance as thy are giving you a bad name and loosing you customers

“Rip off”

Written on: 22/01/2016 by 282Pierce (1 review written)

Change of address 3 weeks before end of policy - told cost £25 - so I decided it would be cheaper to cancel the policy and start another but was informed that, even though I had paid in full up front at the start of the policy a year ago, there would be a cancellation charge of £50 !! to pay. the operator was a pleasant lady but couldn't do anything about this as 'computer says no' Will not be using Churchill again