Canon Ixus V3 Reviews

• Image Quality

Canon Ixus V3 - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Canon Ixus V3

Canon Ixus V3

“I bought my Ixus V3 8 months ago. I can only describe...”

Written on: 30/07/2003 by Cuzzo. (1 review written)

I bought my Ixus V3 8 months ago. I can only describe it as superb. This camera is so compact and goes everywhere with us - as well as on nights out with groups of friends. It's so easy to use, everyone takes photos with it. I have taken well over 2000 photographs with it to date. I do occasionally have 'red eye' problems, but the software that Canon provide (Photoimpression)is so simple to use it clears red eye up in seconds.
I was no camera expert and this was my 2nd digital camera… Read Full Review

“First impressions : ”

Written on: 01/04/2003 by Robert Dowell. (1 review written)

First impressions :
The camera retains all the qualities in both features and build that people have come to expect from the Canon Ixus range. In an ever changing world it is also reasuring to see that the functions and design of the camera remain largely unmodified.

Picture quality remains exceptionally high for the size of lens. Movie mode has been lengthened to a maximum of 3 minutes per clip. Multiple clips can be taken until the card is full of the battery gives out.

Menus remain… Read Full Review

“Note: I purchased the USA version of this camera and...”

Written on: 25/02/2003 by holeydonut. (1 review written)

Note: I purchased the USA version of this camera and it is labeled the "Powershot S230." I will refer to it as the S230 instead of the "Ixus v3."
...-----....
For objects 6 inches or greater in distance, this camera does an amazing job in its ability to take crisp, clear images. I have had very little problem with the auto-focus. Due to its size, I have found it very convenient to carry in a variety of places. Users aren't merely resigned to taking bland photos as the S230 offers many… Read Full Review

“Having looked around the internet for reviews on this...”

Written on: 04/01/2003 by becks. (1 review written)

Having looked around the internet for reviews on this camera (and only reading good things) I decided to use my hard earned cash and fork out the £350 for this one. After learing the basics I was out and about shooting all sorts. First thing I noticed is shooting using the flash results in extremly bad red eye, even when the redeye option is in use. Secondly using the long exposure results in picture quality being blurred. Only get this camera if you plan on using it for still life images… Read Full Review

74150_Kath Lucas.'s Response to 62386_becks.'s Review

Written on: 19/02/2003

I cannot agree with this review, i bought the ixus quite recently and having got over the playtime, i have now got to know the camera quite well and am really over the moon with the quality and ease of use, i have not noticed any problems with red eye or everyday action shots, ie the grandchildren running around the garden. I love the short movie feature. Connectivity to computer and tv is very good, and the software provided is good for my needs all in all i can recommend this camera highly.

108964_Mick.'s Response to 62386_becks.'s Review

Written on: 20/06/2003

I dont agree with this review. I am new to digital photography having bought my Canon 3 weeks ago but have found the camera extremely easy to use and the quality near the standard of my Canon T70 SLR camera. I do agree however that Redeye with flash shots is a minor problem but is easily edited with the supplied software. As for outside action shots (kids playing football)I have no issue as they, so far at least, have all come out just fine.

88313_Billy.'s Response to 62386_becks.'s Review

Written on: 12/04/2003

I can't agree with this review. As an avid digital photographer I now own a whole variety of equipment. I'm on my second digital Ixus (had the V before the V3) and I been very pleased with the results - especially given the small size of this camera. I'd be hard pushed to really find any detrimental faults with this camera and regularly get excellent print quality from the results.

Wuffer.'s Response to 62386_becks.'s Review

Written on: 09/04/2003

I agree. the red eye function is not good enough and the picture quality is'nt impressive. I took my Ixus v3 back and got the new Sony 72. This is a great camera though the design of the Canon is much cooler.

79579_Hb.'s Response to 62386_becks.'s Review

Written on: 13/03/2003

I agree with Kath. The manual features are superb and the automatic lives up to the point and shoot ideal.

Read 5 Comments

“Having owned the Canon G2 for some time and found it...”

Written on: 21/12/2002 by Gerry. (1 review written)

Having owned the Canon G2 for some time and found it to be an excellent camera I was very interested in the new V3 to use in situations when carrying the "house-brick" G2 was not convenient. After a day of use I was utterly disappointed in the V3. The 9-point autofocus has a mind of its own with very little that the user can do to convince it to focus on the intended subject. I use the word focus here lightly since the images produced when it decides to focus on something you actually want are… Read Full Review

Cannonita.'s Response to 59617_Gerry.'s Review

Written on: 02/01/2003

This review mentions the European model name, but it is applicable to the Canon S230 name used in the USA.

108148_Jc.'s Response to 59617_Gerry.'s Review

Written on: 17/06/2003

Hmmm... I think the reviewer may not have understood how to use the camera. The V3 has other focus settings apart from the 9 point setting mentioned. Near (Macro), Far (Infinity) and normal (single point centre of screen). All of those settings are accurate means of achieving focus. I use many different types of camera including 35mm, Medium format and 5x4 inch. All of my cameras have to be focussed manually. The V3 is the first AF (and the first digital) camera that I have owned and it works very well, in my opinion.

79578_Hb.'s Response to 59617_Gerry.'s Review

Written on: 13/03/2003

This does not sound anything like the camera I bought. Mine focuses perfectly!

Read 3 Comments