AA Vehicle Inspections Reviews

AA Vehicle Inspections - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for AA Vehicle Inspections

“Really good ”

written by JorgeMcClellan254 on 12/04/2024

I agree the length of time is not 2-4 days… I paid and booked for my review after I had bought my car and was hoping it would be within the 14 day grace period of buying my car but ended up almost 10 days after that had ended… that said… the AA engineer was very good… I thought he was very methodical, checked everything thoroughly, and was very comprehensive… annoyingly there is an issue with my gear box which I can hopefully sort out but I’m really reassured by the check otherwise. Im glad I paid for this and feel reassured by it massively. Really grateful to the engineer who was really nice and professional thank you so much!

“So bad you couldn't make it up”

written by grumblemunta on 08/04/2024

I still cannot really believe how bad my customer experience has been with AA vehicle inspections. I was contacted on the morning of the inspection to tell me that the inspection was cancelled because the vehicle concerned had been sold to another buyer. I had presumed that this news would be followed by a profuse apology on behalf of the AA for wasting my time and messing me around. After all, this issue was entirely down to the fact that the earliest inspection date that could be delivered was almost a fortnight after the booking date, leaving plenty of time for other parties to purchase the car. But no, instead of an apology and sympathy, I was handed a bill for a cancelled inspection. The representative was completely unreasonable, even when it was pointed out that the inspection date was way outside the maximum lead time of four days given at the time of booking. When informed of the inspection date it occurred to me that it was likely that the car would be sold before that time, but was assured by the agent that I would not be charged if this were to happen. I am obviously not going to held liable by for costs incurred by a firm's failure to deliver services within sensible lead times, so this is likely to be the start of a lengthy dispute.

“Time wasters !”

written by Frustratedandy on 04/04/2024

Booked a vehicle inspection. Inspection was finally confirmed for over 1 week later. On morning of the inspection, we received a call (as did the sellers) stating that the inspection had been cancelled due to staff shortage. The sellers had sat patiently for a week and were now understandably very frustrated as am I. No attempt to rectify this was made by the AA. In fact the lady who informed us of the cancellation actually commented to say the sellers were” not waiting any longer and were very unhappy”. Well done AA. ! Terrible service and waste of everyone’s time.

“Really BAD service! ”

written by ryBlackwell1980 on 22/03/2024

I paid for and arranged a vehicle inspection from a private seller. However, the seller could not take the day off because the AA refused to give a timeframe. I searched for another car the same day and called the team again and gave them the address and details of the car. A few days pass and no word from the AA, so I gave them a call. It turns out that the call taker didn’t take any of the details of the second car and didn’t book an inspection, so I asked for a refund. This was two weeks ago! I still haven’t got my money back and two phone calls later. I am still stuck with the same answer.- it takes up to 3 to 4 weeks to get my money back! This is absolutely ridiculous, especially considering that it wasn’t my fault! Please avoid this company!!!

“Do not use AA inspection team”

written by Graham162 on 27/02/2024

If you are looking to buy a used car, please do not use AA pre-purchase car inspection service. They claim that they can usually arrange the inspection between 2-4 working days. In my case, they called as soon as the money went through, to say they could only arrange it for two weeks after. However, as soon as the dealers learnt that it was AA, they refused access. The dealers said that their customer services has been very lacking in the past and I can certainly see why. They call at any time, they are very rude on the phone, and they do not deliver on what they promise. When I contacted them again to organise an inspection for a different car, they refused unless I pay again as according to them, they had already processed the refund, even if it will take 21 days before I see the funds back in my account. I will never use their services again.

“Dont Waste your money”

written by juvere52 on 10/11/2023

I purchased a used 2011 Mazda 6 in July 2023. Due to the AA reputation, I wanted peace of mind when purchasing this car, so I paid £202 for a comprehensive inspection. I was unaware that the AA did not perform these investigations themselves, but intead they out source this important work to Ace Contractors. I had to chase them for verbal feedback, which was hurried, they missed vital faults with the car and a concerning MOT. I made a complaint, but didnt get very far. Customer Services were rude and unhelpful. I did apply for a refund through S.75 as i paid on my credit card and the service received was poor and not to the standards. The car has now been returned tp the dealer due to a gearbox fault, this should have been picked up by the AA. The AA are incompetent. Don't waste your time, do your own checks.

“Complaints Department Useless”

written by GD2322 on 19/10/2023

Absolute joke of a service. The complaints department are so incompetent, they don't even read, understand or attempt to answer the queries and simply fob you off with nonsense that has no relevance to the issue whatsoever. They close off the file with nothing resolved and refuse to reply to emails hiding behind their computer screens. Avoid at all costs! I now need to make a complaint about the complaints department.

“Save your money”

written by HowardShelley on 19/08/2023

I have never purchased an expensive second-hand car privately before so in February this year I decided to give myself peace of mind and paid for the AA premium inspection at £200, which should include a 10 mile road test. I was never made aware the inspection is not carried out by the AA, but sub-contracted, on this occasion to Ace Vehicle Inspections The car is a 2015 Mazda MX-5 ND convertible, selling for £9400. My own research indicated this car is prone to sub-frame corrosion, of which I could see myself, but wanted the extent confirmed. Of note the car had passed an MOT a few days before inspection, with not even an advisory. Post inspection the engineer gave me a verbal report, later followed up by an email. He confirmed he did not carry out the test drive, as he found cracking in the tyres. This and minor corrosion of sub-frame were the only negatives in his report, thus I travelled to buy the car. The seller later confirmed the engineer spent less than an hour looking at the car and was clearly in a hurry to leave. On the long journey home I noticed a clunking noise from the rear suspension on winding, uneven roads. Sadly my own research and then 2 mechanics confirmed bushes in the suspension hub to be worn. Mazda conceded this was identified as a design fault, for which they would cover the cost of repair, but not for a car of my age. They gave me a price of £2000 for replacement of both hubs, as they do not supply bushes only. Both Mazda and another mechanic expressed surprise the engineer did not know of this fault, which is well known in the industry, or identified it during inspection, which is easy to do. The engineer recorded the suspension as being in good order.Both mechanics and another Mot tester totally disagreed with the decision of the engineer not to test-drive the car and found the tyres to be totally safe and road legal. I managed to have the car repaired at a reduced cost of £1100, sourcing independently engineered components and thereafter lodged a complaint with the AA Inspection Team Dept seeking compensation for the missed faults, as per their terms and conditions. In summary they supported their engineers decision not to test drive the car and rubbished the validity of an MOT carried out a few days before. The fault should easily have been identified even without a test drive, but the AA wouldn't even confirm this, but did confirm the suspension would not have been touched, hence the fault found,just visually examined. In summary, DO NOT waste your time or money on an AA inspection. Sadly as I didn't, but if you check the Internet there is clear evidence that their engineers are incompetent, disinterested and look for excuses not to road test cars. As it is only a visual inspection you might as well just look at the photos of any car advertised on the Internet yourself, because that's as good as any inspection. As an AA member I found the AA and their complaints team an absolute disgrace, who are happy to rubbish their reputation by sub-contracting.

“Clearly unqualified ”

written by Wsws on 18/07/2023

I recently had a 2019 49000 mile Peugeot boxer camper van up for sale A young lady wanted to buy the camper and asked for a AA Inspection to be carried out to which I agreed too The man turned up and when his report came back he said the the crank shaft need to be replaced also the power steering pump was broken and a bearing had gone and that there was a oil leak and did not test drive as he did not want to damage the engine any more All pretty serious stuff that I was very surprised at and also Angry about as I was pretty sure for what ever reason he was lying So I decided to take the car to a independent garage and have the van checked over and guess what all of the above Not true not one thing they inspected the van from top to bottom drove the van and had an mot guy also go over the van and guess what he found nothing other than silly stuff that would not affect a mot Not only did this man lose me my sale after speaking to the lady she also told she had another van looked at and guess what they also didn’t want to test drive the van for the same reason which I find a little strange That’s 2 AA inspections and 2 vans Condemned by the AA Not only that but he also told her partner the I had run the engine of oildry and refilled it with oil quite a accusation to make and very unprofessional Also in the report he told them that the rear doors would not open which also showed how unqualified he was as on the key for there is a separate but to open the rear doors it a security feature that most vans and cars have these days I’m totally disgusted with the AA and intend to take this further this guy clearly is not competent enough to be carrying out this type of work and causing a lot of unnecessary problems for people

“Don’t waste your money”

written by on 11/06/2023

£200 spent on a so called comprehensive inspection by the AA the 4th emergency service! to see if the vehicle I was interested to buy would pass an independent check advertised by the AA checking 150+ safety checks on the vehicle and a road test drive up to 10 miles lasting approximately 2.5 hours. Paid up front AA contacted the seller and all was well. The inspection was arranged for 08:00 all 150 safety checks carried out and a 4 miles yes 4 miles test drive photos taken and the comprehensive check finished and the AA inspection was completed within 45 minutes!! Yes 45 minutes. The vehicle passes bar an oil leak! See below I complained to the AA explaining I contacted my garage and they said it was physically impossible for this comprehensive inspection to take just 45 minutes. The inspection threw up an oil leak on the sump cover. The sellers mechanic checked the reported oil leak and concluded it was a dry stain. I made the decision to view & purchase the vehicle on my inspection traveling 120 miles to see it. No oil leak was discovered. I asked for my money back from the CEO but no joy there!! Please be aware the AA sub-Contract out all vehicle inspections none of the Yellow AA Van Mechanics seen on the roadside carry out vehicle inspections pre private purchase. I wasted my money I wish I paid my local garage to inspect drive and MOT this vehicle they would have done a better job. The report I received from the AA was a generic tick box report with a few photos uploaded. I placed the AA in high regard and trusted their integrity and expertise I think they let me down took my money and I had lost confidence in what I discovered thanks to the sellers CCTV showing time of arrival and departure which totalled approximately 45 minutes. Remember 150+ safety checks on components Wheels tyres break pads engine lights etc etc and up to 10 miles road safety check (4 miles actually driven) is not physically possible and £200 for the privilege. Never again The Van is great and very pleased I have parked on my drive when not in use not a drop of oil seen I now wish I had never used the AA. Use your own trusted garage mechanic to check out a vehicle you’re interested in you may get value for money.

“Avoid as it is a waste of your money”

written by 268Reeves on 01/06/2023

I have never left a negative review before for anything, however feel compelled to do so due to the poor standard of service provided by the AA. Having had an inspection carried out on a five year old convertible I wished to purchase in March 2023, I then discovered a small hole in the roof. They missed this in their inspection as their report identified the roof as being in good condition (using their green traffic light system). In response to my complaint they subsequently stated "the fabric is in a condition to be expected for the vehicles age. I wished to refer this to an accredited body as I was not content with their response to be informed that "with regards to any accredited bodies, we are not accredited to any organisation". In future I will avoid using the AA for anything and suggest you do too.

“Not even worth the one star”

written by JayKay2023 on 13/03/2023

Absolutely appalling service. Took over £200 from me to check my car and missed so many vital points. The service history book was fake and dates had been stamped with 2011 and 2012 when the car was manufactured in 2016. This alone would’ve been enough for me not to purchase the car. I recently found out the car mileage has been clocked back. He didn’t even tell me that the car had been in an accident and the front of the car and front doors had new paint work on. He literally did a few bits and bobs, ticked a few boxes and that was supposedly meant to be my AA car check. I will be getting in touch with trading standards if they continue to ignore my emails. I have sent them four emails to which I have not received a single reply to. Please do not bother booking a check with them as it literally is the same as burning your money.

“Save your money and stay clear of the AA vehicle...”

written by Lazablue8 on 20/02/2023

I took out my second vehicle inspection in the space of 2 months in October, for a cost of over £200. The report came back positive with no major alerts on it. When I picked up the vehicle and was driving home, as soon as I got on the motorway the brake warning lights came on. This started as series of calls to the AA vehicle inspection Centre, who start off the conversation by constantly stating that they are not liable? I paid over £200 for a check which is not for purpose. I put the following in writing, explaining my issues; Good afternoon, Glad that you finally got to me. Your initial comments about Mr. Bird, does not put him in good light. The brake fluid container under the bonnet was empty, therefore I question whether this was checked? When the car was put onto a ramp there was clearly corrosion to all brake pipes, along with traces of brake fluid. This was days after the inspection when the car had not been driven. As a reminder the inspection report stated the following: 10 Brakes 10.1 Master cylinder security: GREEN 10.6 Flexible hoses: GREEN 10.2 Handbrake op/adjustment: GREEN 10.7 Fluid leaks: GREEN 10.3 Pipes/connections: GREEN 10.8 Handbrake mechanism(s): GREEN 10.4 Servo/power system: GREEN 10.9 Discs (if visible): GREEN 10.5 Pedal & pad/linkage: GREEN Inspection Ref: AA278973 06/09/2 This diagnosis by Mr. Bird, meant that I purchased the car in good faith, but have suffered with some large garage bills, along the way. The total is just under £1,000. The car has also spent time off the road as it was too dangerous to go onto the motorway. I agree that this fault should have been picked up during the MOT, and action is being taken about this. The MOT station is negligent as they should never have passed the vehicle! When I initially took the car to the garage, the car was put on a ramp. This is where the pictures were taken whilst it was up in the air. I attached as requested the pictures of the corroded pipes underneath the vehicle. These 7 pictures were taken underneath the vehicle, when it was on the ramp. These pictures were taken just after I purchased the vehicle. When I first contacted your call Centre, the person who took my call kept saying you are not liable repeatedly? How poor is that without knowing the full details, I found that poor and totally at odds with the promises made when you took my money. I plan to take this matter further, should I meet a similar response to this official complaint. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I received a response and was told that they would they would not be taking my complaint any further. My advice to anyone out there, is if you know a mechanic pay them to check out any vehicle you plan to buy. Should you not know a mechanic I would still try and find one to carry out the checks. Please void the AA vehicle inspection, it is not fit for purpose! The customer service is also shocking!

“128 check provides no purchase security”

written by ddmoo2013 on 09/03/2022

I have experienced this several times with AA. his check means nothing and is a surface or visual inspection and even then they generally do not report anything identified unless it is extremely obvious. I cannot speak for all inspections obviously but on the balance of probability i would never recommend that anyone uses this as a means of ascertaining whether the vehicle inspected is road worthy or free from problems!

“Pointless.”

written by Emilia181 on 16/08/2021

Recently purchased a BMW 640d from V12 in hinckley, Leicestershire. it was sold to us with an AA 128 point inspection and said it had been driven for nine miles. When my partner drove the car home on the motorway it was like steering a boat!! We then discovered the rear tyres were non run flats and were landsail ( cheap nasty ) tyres which our local tyre place said should never have been fitted to the car. 500 pounds later for two Bridgestone run flats we are trying to get the money back for the new tyres even tho the AA clearly states they check tyres!!what a joke of an outfit!

Vibesville's Comment

Written on: 30/08/2021

Let's be clear, the car was a bag what you'd expected and came with a dodgy inspection that you believed to be legitimate.

Is your review of the car? or the 128 point inspection? that could have been forged in an attempt to make the car look like a better buy?

Johnjohn6677's Comment

Always use CarExamer for inspections

Johnjohn6677's Comment

Written on: 06/10/2021

tyres are maintenance item inspections don't check and verify original equipment. Uk legal limit is 1.6mm i know CarExamer standard is 5mm for used vehicle as good tred depth. Anything bellow that is advisory. Vehicle is absolutely fine to drive without run flats. In your case there are always cheaper tyre brands out there.
hope this helps.

“AA VEHICLE INSPECTION ”

written by Sophie1976 on 22/01/2021

We had a man turn up today to do an AA inspection on our Campervan from the person that was buying it, the man turned up in a beaten up old car that quite frankly did not look roadworthy, he was all nicey nicey to our face during the inspection and pointed out something minor that my husband said he could sort asap, the vehicle had just had an MOT he then left and phoned the lady that was buying it and told her not to buy it and he thought it was un roadworthy !!! I have looked at the report and apart from the earth lead and a few small defects here and there there was nothing major on the report, I have discovered that they do this so people then get worried and start looking for another vehicle and it keeps them in work, at the end of the report they offer a 20% discount on another inspection !!!! this is absolutely shocking and they should be reported to Watchdog

Johnjohn6677's Response to Sophie1976's Review

Written on: 07/02/2022

honest reports from CarExamer as potential repair costs provided, buyer can assess if its something he is happy with

“Fleeced”

written by FizzyJules on 05/08/2020

I booked an inspection as the website said that they aim to do the inspections within 2 working days. When they rang to book the appointment, they couldn't do it for a week, so that was too late for me and i cancelled the inspection. They took 20% of the money I had paid for "admin" because "they had made a phone call". They were totally unresponsive when I said that they hadn't kept their side of the contract. I would never have booked the inspection if I had known they would take a whole week to complete it, as I knew I didn't have a week. The website is misleading. I feel fleeced. Won't use them again.

Johnjohn6677's Response to FizzyJules's Review

Written on: 07/02/2022

If you use CarExamer inspection service they have free cancelation policy until 4hr to arrival time.

“No inspection at all is as good as inspection by the AA”

written by Happyincornwall on 23/10/2019

Seeing a car advertised (in this case a Landrover discovery) some 300 miles away and not knowing an awafull lot about cars. I thought it best I asked someone (in this case unfortunately the AA) to check it out before deciding if it was worth getting. The report came back with a few (not major) issues, so decided on their findings to go ahead and purchase the car However, on the day of having the car transported down to me, (300 miles or so) I found a few other things that failed to be picked up by the so called AA inspection, at this point I hadn't even yet started the car let alone driven it. Headlining in the car was In parts coming away, water stained from which later proved a very bad leak in the sunroof. Then having driven the car on my VERY FIRST TIME, I realised that the report was a TOTAL WASTE OF MY MONEY. 1:Car was getting stuck in some kind of low ratio and sport mode with the auto gears. 2:gear lever itself was not working correctly, able to knock gears into any position whilst car in motion (even into park and reverse) 3:car looses speed whilst driving uphill, kickdown on gears makes no difference at all. 4:radio doesn't even work, but they tell me they don't check this. 5: Lacquer coming (in part) coming off roof, told me that they had pointed this out, but it's NOT in the so called report I had from them. 6: external rubber door trims coming away from the door. These findings were from just driving the car in the first few hours, taking it to the garage and booking it in to try and sort them out. The car has not done any milage since and am waiting to find out from the garage (booked in for today 23rd Oct 2019) As expected, after having put my findings (so far) to them is "can't hold us responsible as car was fine on inspection" So basically, we have your money and that's the main thing, sod off and don't really want you to come back. Total waste of money in my view, as would have been better to just by the car without looking and therefore save £270 and put it towards repair bill. They themselves don't give any options of leaving a review of the so called service...wonder why. Stay away, don't use this ispection service from the AA as its not worth a penny. Will I hear any more from them....I very doubt it, they have what they wanted.

“Disgraceful customer service. ”

written by Hart131 on 14/08/2019

Having booked through the AA site and paid for an inspection to the AA I am left furious that they have advised that any complaint regarding the inspection does not lay wuth the AA as they use a 3rd party to complete inspections. Infact there worlds when closing my complaint was as follows: ACE inspections are a separate company to the AA who are permitted to carry AA style branding, but they are under license by ACE.  The AA only acts as an intermediary and is in no way responsible for the work carried out by them. And this reply was apparently on behalf of the CEO himself. 25 years of being a loyal customer serves nowhere in their reply. The inspection was not worth the £270 plus paid as 2 months later 3 wheels and 2 arms needed replacing as the inspection failed to notice that one wheel was only hand tight. But apparently according to one complaint handler we loosened this ourselves because obviously we wanted to have to pay out over £500 to put this right. We are also apparently accused of driving the car for 2 months knowing we had done this. I did explain still had use of another vehicle at time of purchase and preferred using that for commute whilst trying to sell as could advertise at same time. They have advised me to complain to ACE the 3rd party but seeing as they already have spoken to them i don't really see what I would gain. As far as i am concerned i booked through AA paid through AA and all paper work regarding the inspection was on AA branded paper/emails. Therefore I feel AA should be held liable.

“128 point check ‘pointless’”

written by agyles on 04/07/2019

Having bought a first car for my daughter at the CarStore in Coventry we were led to feel we had peace of mind that because the car had had an AA 128 Point Check that it would be free from issues for several months. Well how wrong were we!!! After 3 months and only 500 miles we discovered that the rear tyres were perished on the inner facing walls and the brake cylinders were leaking and all needed replacing at a cost of £350! DO NOT BE LED TO A SENCE OF SECURITY THAT THE 128 POINT CHECK MEANS THAT THE CAR IS SOUND.....IT DOES NOT!! We have learnt an expensive lesson!

The Aa's Response to agyles's Review

Written on: 04/07/2019

Hi there, we're sorry to hear of the issues that you're having with your car. We would really like to look into this further, so that we can, please can you send us an email with your full name, address, reference number (if you have one) and your contact number to us.

Agyles's reply to The Aa's Comment

Written on: 05/07/2019

Hello, yes I am very dissatisfied.
I will give you the other details you request in a return email.
Thanks

Bailey08's reply to Agyles's Comment

Written on: 02/07/2021

AA128 point check should cover coolant levels and condition , our car dealers AAreport only said checked for coolant leaks , now we later discovered black engine oil in coolant obviously knew about this

Bailey08's reply to The Aa's Comment

Written on: 02/07/2021

V12 Sports & Classics
Do not even entertain buying from this company , we bought a Range Rover evoque 18 Reg ,£19,000 42000 on the clock 3weeks went by coolant level low went to top up with distilled water only to discover thick black oil in expansion tank , this car was supposed to have had a 128 point AA inspection surely the AA inspection missed the oil in coolant it even floats on top of the water now the car obviously has a small coolant leak , now trying to get our money back as it’s within our 30 day consumer rights act 2015 , the communication with this lot is a joke one passes you here one passes you there ! One booked it in for a diagnosis on the Friday another said a week later it needs to go in for diagnosis I said it went in last Friday

Ddmoo2013's reply to Bailey08's Comment

Written on: 09/03/2022

I have just spent £544 plus VAT to replace NS caliper, brake disk and pads on a Mitsubishi Outlander after purchasing in December 2021. I paid for 2yrs "GOLD" warranty and travelled all of Jan 2022 and it was not used till Feb. 2022.
The problem was discovered after taking for a service yesterday at my regular mechanics of 5years who showed and made a video of the issue which he said should have been picked up by the AA check for the brakes, he was very annoyed for me as the car has just been purchased. Obvs warranty didn't cover.... and I was referred back to V12!
I've been ringing V12 sports & classics for 2 days now and it just rings out.... I will try again tomorrow but will be pursuing through the court if no response...

Bailey08's Response to agyles's Review

Written on: 01/07/2021

We bought a car from V12 sports and classics Wolverhampton with a 128 point AA check three weeks later coolant low check it and all thick black oil in the bottom of it obviously mixing with water , now it states that in 128 point check coolant levels and condition , now the have obviously covered this one up

Asked by tabby7 on 17th February 2023 Report this content
Are the AA car inspections supposed to be signed, my car was sold with an AA inspection, but the space for signature is blank, I'm suspecting it has been done by the garage not the AA.

Thanks for answering this question.

We will email your when your answer is on the site