Stirling Ackroyd Reviews

Stirling Ackroyd - Ask a question now

“Sale of my property”

written by edGriffin1959 on 21/06/2022

I've been happy with the service from Stirling Ackroyd. I am dealing with their central team - they have given me various options from using their auction partner or selling normally. I chose the latter and within 2 weeks had an offer which was vetted and should complete in the next few weeks. Overall pretty pleased - be glad to finally get my property sold!

“Good landlord service”

written by hyMcAllister365 on 20/06/2022

I rented my property through them and they found me a tenant quickly. My tenant was well referenced and never missed a payment - even through COVID. Overall I have been pretty happy with Stirling Ackroyd - they've done what they said they should - he has been responsive and let me know of legislation changes and managed tenancy renewals seamlessly. Happy to rcommend.

“Not trust worthy”

written by on 21/09/2015

Stirling Ackroyd acted in a way that was incompetent, misleading and put us as potential tenants in a compromised position where we almost ended up without a house to live. We put our trust in them to secure two properties, we were assured that we were the only applicants in the running and that we'd be notified if that wasn't the case. On that basis we waited 8 days to meet the landlord of a property and 3 days to hear back after that, all the while our current lease date was quickly approaching. We are a doctor and an architect, we earn £80000/annum, we were told our application impressed the landlord and given the impression that meeting the owner in person was a formality to secure the property. However there was another applicant, and the owner gave the property to them because they earn £100000. Stirling Ackroyd then wasted more of our time putting allowing us to put in an offer on a place that isn't actually available because the owner wasn't sure when she wanted to move out. This put us in a very difficult situation. It is worth noting that Stirling Ackroyd should also acting on behalf of potential tenants as they charge a significant fee for their services and therefore also have a responsibility to endeavour to not put tenants in a compromised situation. While they are the agent of the owner, that tenants are completely reliant on them also. We are extremely disappointed and would not recommend.

“Poor”

written by AlisonHansen on 02/03/2015

In hindsight, as I enter a tenancy agreement with them as management of the property am renting, I somehow regret having made this choice. While I understand the complexity of property management, I wanted to make sure note was taken about the poor service received thus far: poor timing and quality in the communications, unprofessional staff, pushy staff, vague answers or justifications, and all in all, the feeling that management here couldn't care less. If things do not change here, I'd suggest this company to be avoided.

“Shocking - Please avoid this agency for your own sake”

written by Hollandxk422 on 17/09/2014

Speaking as a property owner, Stirling Ackroyd have no regard for providing any level of service and only exist to line their pockets by doing as little as possible. I regret choosing them as a lettings a agent and would council anyone considering them to move on - they will not deliver on any promises made. I have continuously had rent withheld due to outrageous fees for doing nothing and not once has anyone from the company ever called me or asked me what I think of their service.

“Shocking”

written by MarleeBaird1975 on 28/03/2014

I wasn't surprised to read all the other terrible reviews. When we've had to deal with anyone from this awful company they have been rude and arrogant. They certainly put me off using their services (if you can call it that). We experienced their horrific 'customer service' as it was our landlord who uses them and now they have successfully talked themselves out of business, they have no idea that we were in a position to give them more business....idiots. I would never recommend them, ever!

“Stirling Ackroyd Are Rubbish”

written by LAS1 on 04/05/2012

If I wanted to look up the definition 'Useless' in the Dictionary, I wouldn't be surprised to find the name 'Stirling Ackroyd' next to it. No one in this company seem to be trained in customer service, all snotty nosed and lazy, I'd avoid these people altogether unless you want to feel treated like a d***head every time you try and contact them.

“Stirling Ackroyd has let me down too many times”

written by on 16/08/2011

There is a recurring theme in the other reviews, and unfortunately my experiences are the same: - they are pushy to get you to let - once you have, there is stone cold silence (for 2 years) and they seem unwilling/reluctant to help - very conveniently, when you have handed in your notice, you receive 5 emails in one day, more emails than received over two years of tenancy. - it is a PAIN trying to get the deposit back - when it comes to responsibility, they try to pass the buck "no longer my problem" They seem disorganised, driven by the sale, but not the reputation. They forget that long-term sale requires good customer interaction, and when this is lacking there will be long-term repercussions. Very very unsatisfied and unfortunately echoing the other reviewers. Avoid Stirling Ackroyd.

Written on: 18/08/2011

Another Tenant who doesn't actually have a contract with Stirling Ackroyd.

Invariably a 'let only' deal whereby the actual contract post the date of move-in is between the Tenant and the Landlord - Stirling Ackroyd are the 'Agent' acting for the Landlord - as mentioned throughout the Tenancy agreement.

Stirling Ackroyd have an official in house complaints procedure in line with RICS and ARLA recommendations, not one of these people commenting on this review site have made an official complaint through the correct channels.

We take our customer service very seriously but we expect to have an honest dialogue with people who are prepared to print their names and actually have the entirety of the case looked at and then reviewed.

Alexander Jones
Lettings Director

Lillerjo's Comment

Written on: 13/12/2011

Geronimo1 still hasn't complained through the offical channels.

I suspect they have no intention of doing so.

Alexander Jones
Lettings Director
Stirling Ackroyd

Geronimo1's Comment

Written on: 23/08/2011

Response to Alexander Jones

---

Stirling Ackroyd managed the property - any issues or repairs required was supposed to be dealt through Stirling who would then act as the middle-man to sort out the problems. We saw none of this. Initially, within the first month, dialogue was good - after this Stirling stopped responding to us. Not even to tell us to contact the landlord (if as you say we were going through the 'wrong channels'). Is it your policy to blindly ignore emails? Or do you think a better resolution would be to respond to the email nicely informing tenants of the 'correct processes'?

It has not been made clear so far about your complaints procedure - I will ensure that an official complaint will be made through the relevant channels. Thank you for letting me know.

I have tried to contact your Shoreditch office TIME AND TIME again to have this 'honest dialogue' but am constantly ignored by your poor customer service that I have had to come onto a public review site to let everyone else know of your lack of response.

I am glad that at least now you have taken the time to respond - I know of a few names in your Shoreditch office who I can name and shame (and evidence) of not responding at all, leading to several chase up emails (and of course much disappointment and anguish).

Email evidence of Stirling managing the property (from one of your agents):

"As I manage this property, we have a set of management keys - if you are happy for our tradesmen to go in whilst you are at work then I can get these repairs done quickly for you.

Our property management department are available from 9am - 6pm Monday to Friday - there is not a 24hour contact number. If there are any emergencies out of these hours you can contact the Landlord but you should always try to contact me first."

Read 3 Comments

“Where to start with Stirling Awful (aka Stirling Ackroyd)”

written by peter.woolley on 11/08/2011

Once you're in the property, Stirling Ackroyd don't care about you any more, and don't reply to phone calls or emails. When it came to moving out, they were silent, gave us no instructions, and frequently broke contract in their actions; although they were very keen to show a lot of people around the flat, sometimes with 20 minutes notice! The final straw came when our contact in the Shoreditch office sent us an email asking us to stop contacting them. This was in a reply to me asking for a copy of the check out inventory...and asking where our deposit was, which they had previously told us they would organise, and now told us it was all on the landlord. Overall, a very poor service over the 20 months.

“Very poor service”

written by on 04/07/2011

I am looking for a flat to rent for about a month now, and Sterling Ackroyd proved to be the most unreliable estate agency in East End. They promise to call back many times, promised to arrange viewings but at the end it's just a massive waste of time! I am not sure how a large business can be so careless, maybe London property prices are driving everyone mad! For several days I am trying to get hold of Alan Thompson - he is ignoring phone calls. Definitely would not recommend using their services.

Written on: 16/08/2011

This is obviously disappointing to read as we try and service all suitable applicants as quickly as we possibly can but we can't always arrange viewings at a convenient time.

Read 1 Comment

“We recently moved out of a property that we rented...”

written by on 04/03/2011

We recently moved out of a property that we rented through Stirling Ackroyd for 2 years. When we moved into it, we were unimpressed by the company, but that was a long time ago so I can't remember the specifics. However, when moving out, three has been a trail of incompetence and rudeness from the agents.

Although SA had a set of keys for the property, they could not find them and so we had to be in each time someone wanted to view it. This was just before Christmas so we were really busy. The agents on the phone were pushy and rude to us, and when showing the clients around knew nothing about the property and so I was left to answer all of the questions. The agents themselves worked against each other, rather than with each other, to get the property rented, and would think nothing of trying to undercut each other - asking what time other agents were showing the flat and if they could come in a bit earlier...presumably this is because of the way their commission is structured.

They had not come around to photograph the property when it went on the market, and used archive photos which were not flattering (the big selling point of the flat was it's huge warehouse windows and view of St Paul's - SA prioritized a photo of the bathroom over this!)

When it came to moving out, they were disorganised and uncoordinated and so it was down to us and the landlady to sort out things like cleaners, moving in/out specifics and the inspection appointment for the company who was holding our deposit. SA wouldn't even come to the property to pick up a set of keys - we had to drop it off...and ONLY in office hours. Heaven forbid the staff should be asked to work around the paying clients' schedules.

Luckily, we get on very well with our landlady and when we met up we compared stories - she'd had an equally unimpressive time. The annoying thing is that she was paying over £200 every month for SA to do NOTHING. Not to mention the approx £3k required to rent out the property.

It is now over 2 weeks since we moved. We are still waiting for SA to cough up our £3k deposit (the landlady verbally approved it on the day we moved out). Having chased it with SA, yesterday we and the landlady received an "urgent" email from them:
"Please find attached a copy of the check -out report, kindly confirm
by return email if there are any deductions you wish to make.
Please can you treat this as urgent, I have copied the Tenants in to
this email so please come to an agreement."
All the agent had done was to forward us an email she had received from the holding company 7 DAYS BEFORE!!!
We have now bought our own property and are grateful we will never have to work with SA again. As for our landlady...next time, I think she will use GumTree!

Written on: 15/08/2011

It is always sad to hear reviews like this in our industry- but perhaps even more so when you hear of Landlords/ladies not shopping around to find the best service. There are more and more of these independent review sites around and probably 2 of the most popular for agent listings are FreeIndex.co.uk and allagents.co.uk

As an owner of another local agency, we have established an outstanding reputation for the service we provide to Landlords and Tenants alike. I only wish we could meet more Landlords to show them the service they should receive.

I am not going to be crude and publicise my name, or my company's name, here however- if you go to either of the websites I have mentioned you will find us as one of the highest rated letting agents in the country.

Read 1 Comment

“I recently rented moved to London, and went to view a...”

written by DaveyBoy77 on 04/12/2009

I recently rented moved to London, and went to view a couple of properties with Stirling Ackroyd. While the lady showing us around was quite pushy, and full of the normal estate agent hard-sell talk, I guess this was to be expected. We decided to take one of the flats from them, which was where our problems started :(

Once we'd signed our contract, our contact at Stirliing Ackroyd fell ill. Nothing wrong with that, as long as someone else picks up the work - unfortunately this didn't happen, and nobody got back to us about any of our email enquiries for a good 3 days. Given that we had to move in pretty soonish, this wasn't the best start.

The lady was very persistent in telling us what day we had to take the flat on from - basically it kind of felt like it was this date, or not at all. We had to move in on a Monday, so we sorted out removal men etc... On the Friday before the big move, Stirling Ackroyd called us to let us know there had been a cockup, and that the old tenants weren't actually moving out until the Monday. Anyone knows that moving house is a stressful time, so this really isn't what you'd expect from a professional letting agent. Basically we were told we couldn't move into the flat until 4pm, which given where we were moving from and the amount of stuff we had was not ideal.

I had to then spend a lot of time rearranging furniture removal men, which ended up being an additional cost to me and my flatmate. When we got to Stirling Ackroyd's office, they told us there'd been a bit of a mixup, and that actually we could've got the flat earlier in the day.

We decided to follow this up, and to try and get reimbursed for the additional money we had to pay for removals, and for the inconvenience, and also because certain parts of the flat were still dirty when we moved in. We've heard nothing from Stirling Ackroyd. We've left messages with various people at the office, and they all tell us they'll get back to us, and never do.

To be honest, I'm very unhappy with their level of service - it feels like they wanted to get the deal out of the way, get the money in hand, and then didn't really care about their customers afterwards. I wouldn't use Stirling Ackroyd again :(