Sykes Cottages Reviews - www.sykescottages.co.uk

“Dog Friendly ???”

written by Retired23 on 03/02/2023

I have booked a dog friendly property for this year. When I came to pay the balance I noticed a review that was complaining about the rules found on arrival about dogs not being permitted to toilet in the enclosed garden attached to the property. Really how can a property be dog friendly with this rule that you don't find out about until you arrive. I spoke to Sykes who have said that this rule is not unreasonable and it doesn't need to be included on the details of the property so that other potential visitors can make an informed decision about weather to stay with a pet or not. No option to cancel the holiday Be warned before booking any dog friendly property ask the question about additional property rules that aren't included in the description before you book.

“Avoid 69 Wellington St. Matlock. No heating over...”

written by seleahy on 25/01/2023

Arrived at 69 Wellington St. Matlock. Christmas booking. The property was freezing cold, temperature 13.5 & 16.3. No response from Property Management or any of the Emergency phone numbers in the property information guide. After two and a half days of no heating. The owner did eventually do something but because he has a remote device fitted to the boiler he controls the heating from a distance. So the heating was going on and off and completely off at 9:30pm. No other secondary fire was available. Sykes Cottage brochure photo of the property does not show you all of the very steep steps to this front of the property or the very steep steps at the rear of the property. They were slippery and great care needed to be taken going up and down holding on to the rail at all times. Definitely not for Families with children The property is not enclosed at the rear with a passage running down to the very busy front road with double lines. Parking is difficult and for only for one small car. All off road parking on the Surrounding roads are double lines or surrounding properties had taken any little space available. Photographs and information was sent to Sykes Complaint procedure who did very little.. The owner offered a £134 refund being 10% of the total. This offer was refused as the whole Christmas holiday was ruined resulting in our leaving after 3 days. Sykes Cottages then stated it was for me to take the complaint up with the owner. Sykes Cottages have blocked me from filling in the Feed back section for this property. Avoid Booking with Sykes Cottage or staying at 69 Wellington Street. Matlock

“A Mickey Mouse company”

written by eddiemarsden on 04/01/2023

I booked a week’s holiday in May with Sykes. Circumstances necessitated that I needed to move the booking to October. This, I thought, was going to be in my favour as it was considerably cheaper than the May booking. But no, when I phoned I was told that they were still going to charge me the same amount as the May booking. I also enquired about removing the insurance for this holiday and was told that this would not be a problem. After some deliberation, and largely as a matter of principle, we decided to keep the original May booking and I phoned the following day to advise that this was what we would be doing. I probably didn't need to do this but I like to be helpful and don't like to mess people around. I made it quite clear that I was disgusted that they were going to charge me the original price and was given a lot of waffle about contracts and so forth and was told that 'we're running a business here'. Hmm. I wondered (but was so angry that I omitted to ask), what the situation would have been if the revised booking had been more than the May one. I think I can guess. When I asked about the insurance I was told that I would have needed to cancel it within two weeks of taking it out and therefore could not remove it from the booking. I was then told that I should have been informed of this on my previous call! I might have been happier if a gesture of goodwill had been forthcoming but it seems to me that ‘goodwill’ is not a word that this company is familiar with. I certainly will not be booking with them again and I hope that other potential customers will read this review and other negative ones one here and respond accordingly.

“Never again with Sykes!”

written by JoaquinBlackburn88 on 24/11/2022

We have booked four properties over the years with Sykes. Descriptions of three of the properties have either missed important details, such as access is through two farm gates and a field, or simply been inaccurate. When you complain it then becomes obvious that they rely on the decription and photographs given by the owner. They don't visit even when a new property has three really bad reviews from the first visitors. Sykes seem to have no interest in sorting things out instead they hope that things improve and refuse a refund! Learnt our lesson this last time and we will never book with them again.

“Only interested in getting your money then dont care ”

written by Batesib226 on 31/07/2022

We booked 9 Pen y Ghent - Tosside near Long Preston, Yorkshire Dales via Sykes Holidays for a 5 night stay in July. On arrival we noticed that the accommodation was dirty, dead flower in a glass on the window sill, vet medication which was over 6 months old left in the kitchen cupboard, broken ornaments on the fire place, all pots, very very old and well used pans, cooking utensils etc dirty and all needs to be cleaned. The welcome pack left contained out of date and mouldy bread, the decking didn't have furniture as advertised, and what was there was rusty and old and decking was filthy. There was nothing in the accommodation to enable us to use in the oven so no means of cooking an evening meal. Tried to contact owner on number given by Sykes, tried several times, no answer. Following day called Sykes to be told owner lives in Canada so struggling to get hold of him. Shower in ensuite couldn’t be used as door was off the rails, no toilet roll not bath mat. All magazines left were ripped and over a year old. We reported all of the issues, which there are many more than I have listed, to Sykes and stated we wanted compensation. Owner finally got someone to call to fix shower, and we asked for some oven pots so we could cook food which he brought 1 x baking tray, 1 x bowl and 1 x lid from a Pyrex bowl. The shower door came off runner as soon as we tried to use it so it wasn't fixed. Sykes contacted owner and owner doesn’t think that anything is wrong and is not prepared to offer compensation, how does he know if everything is ok when he lives in Canada. Sykes have backed the owner and basically said the complaint is closed so nothing can be done and that is that. It seems that although we are Sykes customer and paid them good money for this holiday they don't actually care about our experience and only interested in the owner of the accommodation. They took our money for a substandard accommodation and now basically we can't do anything about this and we have to shut up and go away as they do seem to only care about their client the accommodation owner and getting their money from good honest people who save hard to have holidays. Sykes, remember you are there to help not only the accommodation owner but also to help and ensure that hte holiday maker who pays good money also has a good time and the accommodation and holiday experience is a good one and if it isn't then support the holiday maker as well and as good as the owner of the accommodation as it does seem you don't care about the holiday maker.

“Whatever you do NEVER USE SYKES”

written by JamesTurner2022 on 18/07/2022

Whatever you do, do not and I repeat DO NOT book anything with Sykes Holiday Cottages, they advertised a property that was still under construction and when we raised concerns about this we were fobbed off with "We wouldnt advertise somewhere if we thought there would be any issues", guess what 4 weeks from the date of our stay and they cancel it as there was a problem on site even. Bunch of clowns, avoid like the plague.

“Beware of this company……”

written by dreamrider212 on 24/04/2022

Beware of this company or booking 2 King Street, Much Wenlock. We took great pains to leave the property clean and tidy but almost two weeks later we get an email stating the owner has reported damage to 4 areas. I am absolutely fuming that they can accuse guilts of damage without any means of proof. They claimed we damaged the toilet, marked the carpet, damaged the stair handrail and broke a door!! When challenged they conceded that the toilet had an internal problem and the “stain” on the had magically disappeared. As renters you have absolutely no recourse to any claims the owners may throw at you. Despicable company with VERY questionable ethics. Despicable owner for trying to fleece innocent guests. Avoid both at all costs!!

“Worst holiday company in the UK bar none ”

written by KARMAPOLICE on 11/04/2022

This company are a bu ch of charlatans with NO CONSIDERATION for their customers. Grab as much money as they can, and to bell with customer service. I’ll never give them another penny., a trust horrible company.

“Warning”

written by Sarahridgeway on 01/04/2022

A warning if you try to book with this company. They took our money and the booking, then came back to say the price had increased and we would have to pay 20% more if we wanted to keep the booking. Highly dubious practice

“COVID OPPORTUNISTS”

written by SarahJPR on 21/03/2022

We were travelling from Australia for a family member's wedding. We paid GBP1,200 as our deposit. However, had to cancel due to COVID travel restrictions. I just tried to re-book for the new wedding date in June 2022 and they would not allow us to use our initial deposit towards a new booking. Heartless. I will not use them again. I will strongly recommend booking with this company. I also found them extremely hard to communicate with, no published email address and I had to dial an international number and be put on long holds.

“Cancelled our holiday week before! ”

written by Miller178 on 28/02/2022

Booked with Sykes several times but never again. Booked and paid for holiday in January to go next week. Received a phone call saying holiday cancelled and do I want my money back! No I want the holiday I have booked and paid for! They offered to try and book another cottage but there were none available in price range and when I asked for them to use the penalty that they were giving the first cottage they said oh no we don't do that. Asked for a phone call from manager last week and still waiting. Now had email saying refunded the money and not getting a phone call!!! Diabolical service Beware if you cancel you loose your money and if they cancel you get nothing and no holiday!!!

“would not recommend”

written by afMcCann1950 on 25/02/2022

Having booked a holiday in the lake district just before the first lockdown, we then had to defer it twice due to covid restrictions, from 2020 to 2021 to 2022, then due to my husband going in to have an operation just before the holiday this year, we decided to cancel the holiday rather than the operation as waiting lists are long. We cancelled a full 2 months before the holiday date and understood the non return refund, but didnt realise the cost of the holiday had risen almost 20% from when we first booked, adding an extra £208, surely under the circumstances it should have stayed at the price we originally booked. as pensioners we have now paid over £400 for a holiday we will not benefit from and even more frustrating we found the holiday had gone back online for less than we originally booked. We are very disappointed in this company, we did email the manger of the holiday but had no response, so in conclusion we would never use this company again.

Steve251's Comment

Written on: 03/06/2022

I suggest you join the Sykes Cottages Unhappy Customers page on Facebook. It may still be possible to get a refund for your 2020 booking u der the terms of the Undertaking that Sykes gave to the Competition and Markets Authority.

Read 1 Comment

“Sykes Holiday Cottages - Disgraceful.”

written by Fox1979 on 06/02/2022

It is incredibly rare for me to leave a negative review, I always try to be balanced, however, for Sykes I will make an exception. If it were possible to leave zero stars I would. As a birthday treat for my wife I booked a 3 night star at Ellen Cottage in Burford, (Cotswolds). This was not a cheap weekend break, and with both my wife and I working for the NHS we were looking forward to a short break away, which we hadn’t been able to do for over a year. Everything looked clean and as expected on check-in at 6pm, but on returning from getting dinner we noticed pet hairs all over the bedding and duvet in the master bedroom. None of the emergency contact numbers worked, so we had to use what we could from other beds, even though they didn’t fit, which led to an uncomfortable night’s sleep. The next day we contacted Sykes who said they would get housekeeping out to put this right. As we were out for the day, and not able to easily get back to the cottage we agreed they would come round at 5pm. After a number of calls chasing, housekeeping finally arrived at around 6:30pm. The girl who came to the door saying she was from housekeeping was incredibly rude to my wife, saying she did come here for this, and actually laughed at my wife when she was explaining how annoyed she was with the situation, and that it had spoilt our trip. We then complained to Sykes who lodged a complaint and said they would look into it. To cut a long story short Sykes refused to accept responsibility for the state of the bedding, blaming the owner, who they said the cleaners worked for and advised us to contact the police to take our complaint further if we wished, at this point I almost lost the will to live, their suggestion being so ridiculous. They have now refused to look into it any further have closed our complaint without any compensation. I will never use Sykes, of any of their affiliated organisations again, and I strongly suggest others don’t either.

“Dirty and not fit for purpose”

written by wilko50 on 05/01/2022

We rented a cottage in Northumberland and the place was frankly disgusting. It needed cleaning , was very, very dirty and one bed had not been changed. A waste of money and of very poor standard. Also the wood burning stoves were stuffed full of rubbish andf plastic waste. Very bad value for money and a health risk also. After complaining to sykes we never had a response but know we would never use them again.

“AWFUL - Be careful”

written by elliebardwell on 02/12/2021

AWFUL experience, they double booked my holiday which was their mistake, offered me no help in coming up with a solution. I spent an entire day out of work trying to re-book a holiday for 4 adults and when successful I was told I wouldn't get my refund with them until the cottage owner had returned the funds to Sykes. I had to complain to get a refund for a holiday THEY double booked! I then asked for compensation because the new cottage I had managed to find in the same location was double the price ( it was the cheapest I could find and staying somewhere else wasn’t an option due to activities and restaurants etc etc we had booked for our holiday ) They replied with the following: Hi I hope you are well and keeping safe. I understand following the booking dates error, we have now resolved this matter accordingly with a refund and you have located an alternative property for your dates. I'm pleased to hear this is the case. Reviewing the notes, it is stated that you wanted to discuss this further in terms of compensation for the inconvenience. I'm incredibly sorry to confirm that we are only able to refund you in full for the booking of which has been processed accordingly. We can only apologise for any upset this may have caused. Kind regards, The Customer Relations Team FOLLOWED BY THIS WHEN I ASKED TO SPEAK TO A MANAGER: Hi Following on from our conversation I have requested a callback from a manager and explained why, who has responded by saying that as the case has been resolved and closed and a refund issued, they wouldn't want to waste your time by calling to discuss something that isn't going to change. Kind regards DELIGHTFUL They have decided they don't care and won’t even do me the decency of calling me to talk through their decision. I spoke on two occasions who was rude, antagonistic and made me feel like I was worthless. looking at other reviews out there they seem to deliver a great service most of the time but when they make a mistake they are rude, cut you off and refuse to offer any kind of compensation followed by ignoring you. BOOK AT YOUR OWN RISK

“NO GAS CERTIFICATE”

written by Palomar129 on 17/09/2021

We went on a Sykes cottage holiday to South Lakeland Leisure Village, which is a lovely place but unfortunately not the same could be said about the accommodation. We stayed in a hut called the MULBERRY. We had gaps under the french doors big enough for a small animal plus no curtains over them so we had to put a blanket up. The decor was to be polite shabby and made worse by throws used to disguise the fact it was beyond vintage. The free wifi was none existent so after numerous telephone calls we gave up and had to talk and entertain our selves not easy with teens. Staines here there and everywhere some more disgusting than others. But my point for this review is the boiler was constantly playing up(cutting out, not heating water etc) so on a daily basis we had to reset it, it wasn't until the third day we realised the boilers gas certificate was about to expired half way through our holiday and for this reason we decided to leave. No way was I risking my families lives and nor should I be expected to. But 1 year on and still Sykes cottages or the owner have done nothing to resolve the matter. It's all about profit and not peoples wellbeing.

“Worst place to stay terrible customer service from Sykes ”

written by Seagorle on 16/09/2021

Things that we found whilst staying in the cottage 1. The shower water was only slightly warm for 2 minutes myself and my husband both have disabilities which is severely affected by the cold and so we experienced quite a lot of pain during our stay as we tend to use showers for pain relief. This was reported to the owner who was aware and stated they were upgrading at the end of the season. He stated he would come round and see what he could do but never turned up 2. Lots of vomit discovered one morning within the private footpath area for the property. nobody cleaning it up stayed on the path 3. The owner was living to our right and his mother-in-law to our left and kept walking up and down the path looking in whilst we were there as the private entrance was for all three properties. 4. The owners dog was seen doing his business on the grass area outside our cottage on two occasions 5. Noisy radiators so bad we had to turn them off 6. Complimentary biscuits and tea and coffee a nice touch but out of date 7. Emailed stating that our two sons were also staying but on arrival the owner denied getting an email and was a little short with us as there beds had not been made up. However, additional bedding was found for them. 8.saucepan lid broke whilst using and I burnt my fingers luckily there was already an ice pack in the freezer so could apply this to my hand but very disappointed about the safety of the saucepans since then we have had take away or microwave meals Overall our stay was supposed to be a relaxing stay by the sea ended up being very stressful and in which case was definitely not worth it. If I had not been that we paid a considerable amount for this we would have gone and believe me we almost did on several occasions we never unpacked our luggage. Also we had to stay as we wanted to catch up with family members whom we had not seen in six years, we would have moved to a different property but it was bank holiday and nowhere else was available and finance also affected our decision. In this instance we would kindly ask that we receive a full refund for this stay for the reasons stated above. No response from Sykes

“Atrocious customer service”

written by on 24/08/2021

Terrible service! Booked a last minute cottage in Scotland for a week, contacted the owner following morning to ask for postcode & key pick up details, was given details for that. An hour later I got contacted by owner, not Sykes, by text!, to be told they were actually double booked & won't honour the booking, which we were travelling 8 hours to in less than 24hrs later! The landlady at least had the courtesy to contact me to tell me, albeit with no apology or sympathy offered, and told me Sykes were contacting me asap. The call from them never materialised. I had to call to chase up - no explanation, no apology offered & the phone was hung up on me halfway through the conversation. This is all in the middle a very busy working day for me. Having managed to get a 5min break, I called again an hour later to be spoken to by another laidback, carefree staff member, again zero apology offered, to be told basically tough luck, we can send you a couple of links to other cottages & you should be grateful we're doing that too. Both were unsuitable & more expensive. Not even the offer of making up the diffrence in cost by Sykes considering it was their error. Eventually, my wife had to take over, was passed from one person to another (we both lost count to how many diffrent people we'd spoken to by then), who told her of another option & was promised it will be reserved till we come back with an answer, when she did call back shortly after, she was told it was gone (remeber, this was especially put on hold for us till we gave an answer back!!) The whole family, in particular the kids, were genuinly looking forward to the trip. It was the first and now the last time we'll even look at Sykes' website, let alone book with them. A few lessons & some training need to be given to the staff on how to at least pretend to be sympathetic to their customers when they make a complete mess of a simple booking then leave it to the customer to contact the perpetrator to resolve. Imagine if the landlady never bothered texting back & left it in Sykes' hands to contact me. We'd have been halfway up to Scotland by the time Sykes bothered ringing. A piece of advice to Sykes, learn some customer service skills, realise it's your job not the cutomer to sort out your own mess, offer a genuine apology or two & then go out of your way to make the customer feel compensated for your error by going the extra mile to sort & maybe offer a little compensation as a form of courtesy when you get things wrong. Absolute shambles. Looking forward to the fun of trying to get a refund out of them now!!

“Friday to Friday lets”

written by PhilipDW on 06/08/2021

Gripe - Friday to Friday lettings. I have rented several cottages from Sykes and all have been good, however I note that increasingly cottages have been moved to Friday to Friday lets. I have discussed this with some of the cottage owners and it is Sykes who are pushing this move. It seems to make sense for short lettings, Friday - NMonday or Monday - Friday but it has serious down sides. 1 Friday afternoons are the busiest time for UK roads so you are battling with lorries and retired caravan owners for motorway space. 2 It means anyone who works full time Monday to Friday has to book six days off to have a week away. Please can you stop this trend and return to how we have rented cottages for 50+ years, Saturday - Saturday or at a pinch for busy areas like Cornwall, Sunday - Sunday to spread the load on their roads

“Easy booking process, good website & info”

written by AidynBuckley330 on 17/03/2021

Easy booking process and prices were very clear and straight forward (I always worry about hidden extras when booking holidays). I like their Good Housekeeping Bond policy, where they don't take any money for a damage deposit up front (in case you damage the property you stay in), it encourages guests to take good care of the property without the need to worry about getting a deposit back. Website was easy to use, showed booking details, directions and other info when you login and the owner has very kindly emailed some useful info to prepare us. Hopefully the weather holds out, we've had many great holidays in the UK (mostly North Wales) and have always been very lucky with the weather!