Docklow Pools Reviews - www.docklowpools.com

Docklow Pools www.docklowpools.com - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Docklow Pools www.docklowpools.com

Docklow Pools www.docklowpools.com

“Fishing heaven”

Written on: 22/11/2020 by Redmunds (1 review written)

Docklow Pools is quite simply the best fishing holiday you can have in the uk when you stay here you can catch virtually every species of fish in freshwater. private Stretchers of the river wye and other local rivers . nines pools to choose from snake lakes stock pond tench lake specimen lake full of quality catfish I’ve caught two 35 pounders this year alone handsome grass carp mirrors and commons average size 15 to 30 pounds all the lakes you can catch double figure fish from . The scenery… Read Full Review

“AVOID - NEVER RETURNING.”

Written on: 21/05/2019 by trw4 (1 review written)

Hello guys, If you're thinking about booking at Docklow pools please read this review very carefully, I thought I'd be done after my last review on another site but the owner got in contact and things took a turn for the worse which is why i'm leaving this one. We arrived at Docklow as part of a birthday gift for myself and my father, both born within 10 days of each other in May. Shortly after leaving the previous review on here, we were contacted by the owner of Docklow pools. I've never… Read Full Review

“Overall Experience”

Written on: 30/08/2015 by KeithTaylor (1 review written)

Just returned from 2 weeks at Docklow....the place looks perfect, not a single swim that doesn't look loaded with fish, the reality is though, hardly a fish to be caught, unless you want tiny bream. wasn't just me either, hardly anyone caught fish, Listened to anglers that had fished it before, tried every method I could think of, all to no avail, which is a shame. In 2 weeks fishing...we didn't bank a single fish over 6lbs, fishing holiday without catching fish...isn't really a fishing… Read Full Review

Trw4's Response to KeithTaylor's Review

Written on: 21/05/2019

Not surprised mate, we had the same. Couldn't catch hardly anything, nothing like advertised.

After leaving our review on another site, the owner threatened us to take it down and after refusing banned us from ever returning!!

We've been to alot of places throughout the UK but our experience at Docklow was by far the worst. Such a shame, owner was extremely rude.

Read 1 Comment

“perfect fishing holiday ”

Written on: 25/04/2014 by Saundersse187 (1 review written)

Tried the rest this is the best helpful staff excellent food modernising all th time been going there for a bout ten years… Read Full Review

“good value holiday and fishing.at docklow”

Written on: 21/04/2014 by gingermac (1 review written)

WE HAVE JUST RETURNED FROM A WEEK'S HOLIDAY & FISHING AT DOCKLOW POOLS , MY WIFE & MY SELF, THOROUGHLY ENJOYED THE LOG CABIN ACCOMMODATION IT WAS HOME FROM HOME, THE PUB IS REALLY OLD FASHIONED, JUST LIKE A COUNTRY PUB SHOULD BE WE HAD A SUNDAY ROAST CARVERY, FIRST CLASS COOKED TO PERFECTION, THE PRICE A LITTLE HIGHER THAN WE PAY IN WEST WALES, THE COMPLEX IF I MAY SAY IS SHOWING A LITTLE NEED FOR A REFURBISHMENT IN CERTAIN AREAS, SOME SAFETY AREAS NEED LOOKING AT, TACKLE SHOP FIRST CLASS… Read Full Review

“not necessarily a fisherman”

Written on: 11/04/2014 by Basslein (1 review written)

If you want or need peace and tranquility this is the place to be.Idyllic scenery,staff who go out of their way to make you feel "at home" food that make you feel tnat you have been at a banquet and all this where "time" is meaningless.A sense of contentment is gained,making life a lot less stressful including sunshine what else could you need!… Read Full Review

“jolly boys ac”

Written on: 18/01/2014 by vicjollyboysac (1 review written)

we visit docklow twice a year. may & july and on the odd occasion third trip in september.this will be our 20th year and hope to celebrate it in grand style.all the staff are great and fishing is top notch.we have made many great friends over the years and am sure anybody who visits the fishery for the first time will appreciate the welcome they receive. vic.(northern branch) jolly boys ac. tight lines… Read Full Review

“hounslow new challenge”

Written on: 10/05/2013

excellent weeks fishing and total relaxation. we are all back next year for more of the same.facilites were top notch and hosts are superb. looking for a weeks great angling then look no further...cheers for everything… Read Full Review

“Great week at Docklow!!”

Written on: 01/05/2013 by roywilkinson (1 review written)

Just returned from a week's fishing at Docklow Pools. Not much to say really as "brilliant" pretty much covers it! The accomodation was excellent. The bar and restaurant were really good and all the staff were friendly and helpful. The tackle shop stocked everything you could want and the guy running it very helpful and knowledgeable. I'm not easily pleased - I always complain where there's a need but I couldn't fault this place. Oh, and by the way, the fishing was fantastic!! We fished… Read Full Review

“Idyllic, Friendly, Consistent Sport.”

Written on: 31/01/2013 by Daveuk2010 (1 review written)

Having read some of the reviews it was little surprise to me that they are a somewhat mixed. Having worked in Travel and Tourism for over 7 years I know a customers reaction is normally down to there expectations. Different people want different things and you can NEVER please everybody. In saying that some of the comments are WAY WAY off the mark. I have been visiting Docklow for 3 years and always alone. Now if the staff were unfriendly or there was a certain "Clique" then I certainly would… Read Full Review

“Just returned after a weeks fishing with a mate”

Written on: 16/07/2012 by Klafu59 (1 review written)

I saw the single star review just before leaving for a weeks fishing at Docklow with a mate and I must admit I was a little concerned especially as the weather was going to be awful. Overall we had a good time. We caught over 100 Crucians/F1's each in the stock pond on our first day and continued to catch fish on all of the lakes. The match lake does get a hammering and quite a few of the Carp had missing lips/deformed mouths which was not very nice to see. The accommodation was pretty good, we… Read Full Review

“Pete & Lori - Our favourite little getaway”

Written on: 30/07/2011 by LoriClay (1 review written)

We stumbled across Docklow by accident & it is the best find we ever made and have been to Docklow Pools several times now and for us it just gets better. We don't do set weeks and have met lots of different people who have all been nice and friendly. We find most people quite willing to share fishing techniques and offer advice on how to fish the various lakes. Pete entered a residents match for the first time on our last visit and thoroughly enjoyed himself, he didn't even come last which… Read Full Review

“An Idyllic Location and Fantastic Fishing”

Written on: 13/07/2011 by Coopers (1 review written)

Just got back from a great week at Docklow; stayed in the Angler’s Log cabins which were all ready on arrival and provided excellent accommodation for the week. All the lodges provide somewhere to store your tackle securely. The fishing was excellent and my comments are based on being a competent rather than expert angler; apart from a session on the Specimen Lake we fished match rod and waggler all week. Had 10 double figure carp to 14lb and good mixed bags from all lakes including carp to… Read Full Review

“Docklow Pools what more can you wish for ?”

Written on: 12/07/2011 by mcneill (1 review written)

Hi all been fishing at Docklow Pools for some years now, and have found the place and staff fantastic, and very helpful,the tackle shop onsite has everything if you forget anything! as well as a great selection of bait available.Accomadation is very good weather you stay in the B&B or one of the cottages or lodges, all a short walk to the pools.The bar & restraunt are very oldy worldy with original oak beams exposed and a roaring fire if you decide to fish in the winter, have had some great… Read Full Review

“I have to concur with other reviewers. We stayed in a...”

Written on: 01/05/2011

I have to concur with other reviewers. We stayed in a cottage, which is advertised as 'luxury' LOL but which was dirty and smelly. The bed was well worn and uncomfortable. We ate in the restaurant twice, the food was poor quality and overpriced. The entertainment in the bar, (twice a week) was laughingly poor and the entrance to the bar, a very serious health and safety risk!
The fishing was poor. The whole area was unfinished, difficult to navigate on foot and no disabled pegs!!! I also agree… Read Full Review

Written on: 21/06/2011

We have been visiting "docklow pools" for the past ten years,
and have always found,accommodation,management,entertainment to be first class.
As to the "clikckyness" it is actually called friendship,attained by helping each other ,laughing and joking,and enjoying the comapny and of course the brilliant fishin.
we will come back as long as we can.

wynne& lol liverpool.(scouse power)

Written on: 21/05/2019

Spot on mate, couldn't have said it better myself.

Fishing was very poor, well presented pools don't get me wrong but was very hard to catch fish. The room we had was filthy, had no hot running water and bath was all smashed in.

After leaving Docklow one night earlier than we should have, we left a review on another site and was contacted by the owner. He actually threatened we were to take it down or he will take it further. Obviously we refused, we are entitled to leave our thoughts after spending our hard earned cash on a visit, he then said we're banned from ever returning, not that we had any intention of returning but thats beside the point.

I honestly couldn't agree more with all your points, its shocking. You can read my full review here too;

Hello guys,

If you're thinking about booking at Docklow pools please read this review very carefully, I thought I'd be done after my last review but the owner got in contact and things took a turn for the worse which is why i'm leaving this one.

We arrived at Docklow as part of a birthday gift for myself and my father, both born within 10 days of each other in May. Shortly after leaving the previous review on here, we were contacted by the owner of Docklow pools. I've never ever been spoken to by anyone so rude in all my life. You'd think as a business owner, you'd want to listen to customers experiences and fix the problems + welcome them back in the future.

Unfortunately we had the complete opposite. Due to leaving a little negative but very truthful review, Jonathan decided to ban us from ever fishing at Docklow again, which is fine because after our experience, we never planned on returning.

I'll now go into detail as to why our experience was so unpleasant which had nothing to do with the bad weather may I add, we absolutely love fishing and fish in any weather when possible, we were prepared for it before arriving. Rain can't stop anyone fishing, that's what Umbrellas are for!

Fishing side of things, Docklow is very well presented, lots of pools in short distance of each other with plenty of parking spaces. In terms of catching fish, well, it wasn't great I have to admit but maybe that was because of the weather. Don't get me wrong, we caught a few but we've fished at many better places.

The main issue we had with our experience was the accommodation, which was absolutely filthy first and foremost. I spoke about this in my last review but will go into more detail. Our 3 night stay at docklow cost £400, considering a day ticket is £6 that's far from cheap if you ask me, that's also without breakfast.

Upon booking at Docklow pools, we were recommended the property 'Kingfisher', we had no clue on which property to go for but we were assured by staff it was fantastic and highly recommended, so we went for it.

My god, what a mistake we made. Let's start off with the basics, well, I would if we had the basics. No hot water in our property, which we didn't realise until a night into our stay. Weather was awful, which didn't bother us in the slightest, but after a long day fishing in the rain, you'd expect some nice hot water once you get back, we had nothing, cold water only for both sets of taps from the sink and bath.

Living space which was very tiny, was also freezing cold once we returned. First night we tried the fire which wouldn't work, so we spoke to a member of staff, Laura, who came straight over the next morning and fixed it for us. Laura by the way was very, very welcoming from the moment we arrived in docklow. She's an absolute credit to the company & after being spoken to the way we did by the owner, deserves way better. The property, which we were told had a shower for us, only included a bath. Wasn't a massive issue but showers are much more convenient. The issue was, not only did we have no hot running water through our property, the bath was also all smashed in and very dirty, made from the cheapest plastic going. Toilet was also filthy and had no toilet seat. We had to give the bathroom a good clean from the moment we stepped foot in there, something which should have been done for us upon arriving.

There were a few lamps throughout the property, which only one actually worked, lightbulbs hadn't been changed for years it seemed, we were starting to wonder what we actually paid for.

We were told breakfast would be served at 8am, great. As soon as we got changed we headed in for breakfast bang on 8, got turned away and told to return 30 minutes later as they have no chef for the day. We wanted to get out and fish as soon as possible but there were nothing but problems.

After ringing him up after returning from docklow ONE NIGHT earlier than we should have, yes things were that bad (We would have spoken to him on site but he was nowhere to be seen, multiple times we asked to speak to the manager in which we were told he wasn't available, I can see why)

So in the end we just returned home and gave him a phone call in which we explained to him just how poor the property was and that we didn't even have the basics like hot running water. Laura was also with him and she told us there was a plumber on site. Fair enough maybe we should have looked for the plumber but we're there to fish, not to chase plumbers, chefs, or members of staff to fix the fireplace and various other issues.

He then threatened that we were to remove our review about Docklow or else he will take things much further (whatever that means), which we were very taken back by. My mother actually cried after he gave her a phone call, like me she had never been spoken to so rudely on the phone. All she wanted to do was ask why we didn't even have the basics in our property, why it was so filthy and we she was recommended that property upon booking for us. Not once did she ask for a refund, she just felt very bad for both myself and my father as it was booked as a birthday treat.

This is meant to be the owner of Docklow pools, he was talking far from professional to each and every one of us. I'm not sure how the business is still going if he speaks to all his customers like that. Like I mentioned above, most owners would want to listen to the problems and put things right, welcome you back and promise a better experience, after all its the customers which are keeping his business alive.

We of course refused to remove the review, why would we? It was nothing but the truth and we wanted to inform the rest of you before booking anything here, if we knew how bad it was we would never, ever have visited Docklow pools. After telling him the review wouldn't be removed, he actually said we're banned from ever returning to Docklow pools and slammed the phone down on us. Like I said, i've never ever spoke to someone so rude.

Like I said, it was a birthday treat for my 26th and my Dads 60th (Not sure where he's got 40 year old man from) which my mother booked for us, as we absolutely love travelling the country to fish. This was by far the worst experience we've ever had, it genuinely felt like we were in the 1950s, even a caravan would have been way more luxurious than the property we were recommended.

If any of you guys have any more questions regarding our stay, please get in touch, I'd be more than happy to answer any questions you may have. Also if you do plan on going to Docklow and are unsure of where to fish, what bait to use or anything like that, give the tackle shop on site a visit, the man who runs it is very friendly and can't do enough for you.

I have also attached part of the email we received shortly after leaving our last review, you can see for yourself what I've said above goes hand in hand. Banned from returning because we wouldn't take the previous review down, such a shame but we had no intention of ever returning.

Stonkerb's Comment

Written on: 04/02/2013

Been to docklow, three times and never had a problem. (Name removed) has always gone out of his way to help and make us feel comfortable. The fishing is second to non too as there are so many alternatives to choose from and information is always made available ask (names removed) in the shop and they will put you on fish. The banter is good too and lighthearted and friendly. The cottages are not five star granted, but we are fisherfolk with all our junk. Incidently you get a lock up for yout tackle too , so tackle is banned from the accomodation. The cottage we stayed in was clean and comfy. My wife said "cosy" and she wont stay in a dump. Im sure if you had a problem and talked to him, he would have dealt with it. We are giving it the thumbs up and actually im going to book tommorow. Tight lines all. Steve and Sarah (Manc Power)

Written on: 14/07/2011

I have to agree with Winn and Lol..clicky it is not..every one each time we go are so friendly and its different people each time..if you don't want to join in with the banter it will seem clicky....as for eating in the restaurant..if it was as you said bad first time you went in ..why did you go a second time..or were you after a free meal if you complained..some people make complaining there hobby..it is so it usually results in A..a free meal..or B a free holiday...Docklow pools is one of the best places around..for fishing and making a lot of friends..we most certainly will be going back again and again..just a small poing..the cottages are sparkling..every thing you need to enjoy you fishing holiday..

Read 4 Comments

“Have had two holidays there and will be going again in...”

Written on: 20/04/2011

Have had two holidays there and will be going again in July, idyllic location. Only stayed in the angler's accommodation and it is just fine, close to waters and somewhere to store your tackle. General fishing excellent in all the lakes, havn't tried the specimen lake. Staff very friendly and helpful, tackle shop pub & restauarnt are excellent. If you are looking for a weeks fishing in fantastic surroundings this is the place for you, if you are looking for a top notch camp site with swimming… Read Full Review

“on hols in july 2010 what can i say about the fishing...”

Written on: 10/01/2011

on hols in july 2010 what can i say about the fishing 1st class over 150 pounds of fish in the week all all staff very help full. this is a fishing hol place you yust sleep and eat in the accomadion if its a bit dirty so what its a fishing holiday booked again for 2011. if you do not fish why go there at the end of the you get what you pay for… Read Full Review

“The cottage we had booked looked lovely from the...”

Written on: 15/09/2010

The cottage we had booked looked lovely from the outside, but once inside it was dirty and in areas very tired and worn out (chipped kitchen worktop, ripped wallpaper, no shower, dead insects in the corners of rooms and windowsills, etc, etc). We requested a larger place, and the only one available was dirty (we were told we could have it if we wanted it, but would have to clean it ourselves - what a start to our holiday!). We eventually spoke to one of the owners and after a rather rocky… Read Full Review

Written on: 18/07/2011

I totally agree with this review, the Mill cottage we stayed in wan minging. If you do decide to go, I would advise you to take plenty cleaning sprays and a groundsheet to put over the toilet carpet (yuck). Wont be back.

Written on: 21/05/2019

Couldn't agree more mate, we had exactly the same experience. Wouldn't ever return to Docklow pools, our 1950 cottage was filthy, caravan would have been 10x more luxurious.

We actually left a night early and after leaving our thoughts on another review website, the owner threatened we were to take it down or he will take things further. After refusing ( We're entitled to leave our honest review after spending our hard earned money) he said we're banned from ever returning, we had no intention of returning anyway but that's besides the point.

Read 2 Comments

“Awful place, unless you like noddy fishing in pits....”

Written on: 01/08/2010

Awful place, unless you like noddy fishing in pits. The stock pond has been destroyed to get more matches onsite, the arrogance of the owners is a disgrace and the quality of fishing terrible. I had heard good things about it, but it's changed over the last few years. Ellis the dog is friendliest member of staff, the rest are only interested in the dollar… Read Full Review

Written on: 21/05/2019

Couldn't agree more, our place was filthy also, hardly caught any fish and even returned a night early.

After leaving a review on another site, the owner even threatened us to take it down or he'll take things further!!!

We obviously refused in which hes now banned us from ever returning, not that we had any intention on doing so, but that's besides the point!

Read 1 Comment

“My husband and i spent a week at docklow in march 2010...”

Written on: 09/05/2010

My husband and i spent a week at docklow in march 2010 we stayed in a self catering cottage which i must say was beautifull and cosy, the peacefullness was bliss we could"nt believe how lovely it was,just what i needed while my husband done his fishing. The food was excellent the service impecable, also the other residents where so friendly too,but most of all nobody pestered you for anything,mike and josie where very friendly as was johnathan we were made to feel very welcome so much so we… Read Full Review