The Vu, Bathgate Reviews

2.1
  • Quality of service

• Quality of food

The Vu, Bathgate - Ask a question now

“Best wedding venue ever”

written by callie.mcleary on 03/07/2022

Attended a wedding at The vu recently and i must say it is by far the best i have been to. The staff, the food, the flow of the day and the setting is just incredible. If you are looking for that extra special place to get married then The vu definitely is must visit. I also stayed in their snugs on the evening of the wedding and they are little gems I must say 10/10

“Needs Improvement ”

written by Kennedyco227 on 02/04/2022

Was at a Wedding last week, although meal was good , the service between courses was very slow. Staff need to be trained on service as they came across as if they were only doing the job as they had to, no smiles don’t even answer you when asked a question they just looked as if they could not be bothered . Had to ask for wine top up they only came to our table once . Staff we’re supposed to hand out confetti to all the guests after meal this was not done . Soon as meal was finished they started to move tables to clear the floor for the dancing no announcement was made to say this was going to happen. At the beginning of day the Entrees only came outside again lots of people were missed out, bar staff could not even pour a pint properly Would not recommend this venue to anyone getting married

“Poor”

written by jamsie71 on 04/03/2022

Absolute shambles,staff are ignorant. Vegetarian menu’s out a jar,and a very cold boring dump!

“Our son's wedding”

written by KarenMS67 on 22/03/2017

Thank you to The Vu, their staff for a beautiful venue and day to remember. A special mention to the lady who wanted to make us happy & also we could tell absolutely takes pride in his job and his customer service was awesome. Being part of the wedding party was stressful, hoping and praying that everything would go well. We couldn't have been happier, from the start to end it was perfect. The food and staff fantastic. You don't go many places now and not hear of at least one person complain about their food. I know of at least 2 guests who were blown away with the venue and are so happy that both their kids had chosen this venue for their future event. We had guests from America, Ireland and throughout the U.K. Who were all making the same great comments about the venue. If we were to book another my only change would be to have the later wedding time. Of course you want your day to last forever, I guess I'm just too old for long party days.this however does not reflect on The Vu, this is only my personal opinion.you guys rocked the day by everything being precise, on time and basically taking care of our stresses. You allowed our son and new daughter in law to have the wedding of their dreams. Now you only need to take control of the weather and everything will be perfect :) Happy Groom's mum and dad.

“Drinks prices”

written by 314Rivera on 07/05/2016

Was at a wedding on the 6th of may 2016. As i was the desinated driver i was drinking soft drinks. Later in the evening noticed they had non alcoholic beer ordered two and almost fell over with the price of £7.00 yet could get a pint of miller draught for £3.00!! Absolutly shocking they should be welcoming 0eople who are willing to not drink and drive than to drink and drive as its much cheaper to have a pint at this place. If your going to be a driver for the night take you own supply of soft juice was being chanrge £1.80 - £2.00 per can of irn bru. Other problems was the food platters came to the tables 13 at a table and lucky if you got 1 item each then before you knew it the staff would be back round collecting the platters even if there was food still on them. Will not be looking at this venue for my future wedding.

“the vu from staffs point of view”

written by Moniqued50 on 02/02/2016

What can i say about the vu being previously employed by there i had to leave with the stress. 12/15 hour shifts with one break the full time. Getting told that tips would be shared amoungst all the staff... in the full time i was there no tips were ever given to the staff so i would advise if you want to tip them dont the company keeps the money. They refuse to give their staff a contract as this means they would actually have to be decent when it comes to sick pay and maternity. All they care about is making money not the health or happiness of their staff. They have the biggest turn around of staff going because of the managers, non existant breaks and they amount of injurys happening due to tiredness of the staff finishing work at 2/3am and starting at 12noon again hardly any sleep. Then they way the co ordinator speaks about the bridal party is shocking. If you have your wedding there please have a thought about the helpful staff that are still there

“the vu bathgate”

written by Burke303 on 06/11/2015

i was a guest at the vu recently and was totally dissapointed . the only good thing here was the view and even then had it been bad weather you had no chance. after being shuttled from here to there you would have been soaked had it been raining .no one to show you to your seat for the meal which lasted 4 hours as they had to spin it out as there was another wedding going on in the other hall so they had to keep us there till they had finished, my 94 yer old father asked for tea with his meal and said they couldn,t do that , no one to organize the speeches or announce the bride and groom on when to cut the cake etc . meal was cold and tasteless, staff bad mannered and no help at all . no senior figure going about to organize staff, no one was trained properly at all , what a dissaster and dissapointment,this is just not acceptable they are robbing young innocent people of lots of money and i do not recomend anyone to book this place for a wedding , a total dissaster , feel so sorry for whoever paid for this as they should be given a full refund . a total shambles !!!

“my daughters wedding”

written by Shields112 on 18/12/2014

my daughter has just had her wedding at the vu, i can not thank the staff enough for there attention to detail, the excellent service and food, nothing was to much trouble , the staff made every effort to make sure everything went smoothly, i would defenatly recomend this venu for a wedding it was worth the 4 hours.

“Amazing day”

written by kan1302 on 19/11/2014

We got married here on 16th October 2014 and quite frankly nothing could have been done or gone better. From the ceremony to the food, which all our 118 guests raved about, through to the service from all the staff, waiters and bar team, it was truly excellent. We could not have wished for a better day or a better venue to get married. Special thanks must go to our coordinator for the day who had to put up with us and all our demands however nothing was a problem. What did we not like?? Nothing, we loved everything. Thank you to everyone at The Vu you gave us and our guests a truly amazing day to cherish forever.

“Staff”

written by Blackburn135 on 19/08/2014

Was at a wedding on Friday 15/08/14 My 13 year old daughter got ice cream which after putting it in her mouth was a large piece of glass , to which the waiter said it was plastic from the tub , I can assure you it was glass from another broken bowl . We had to then check the other kids ice creams. The same waiter near the end of the night argued over a bottle of coke When I wanted draught coke I said it didn't even matter about the lesser cost but he refused to give me what I asked for . Very expensive place to hold a wedding with bad service .

“Beautiful venue for a wedding ceremony but need work”

written by ilRoss33 on 16/03/2014

We went to a wedding on Friday past for the evening reception and got a taxi there. When we arrived there was no signage for where the wedding was and there was 2 weddings happening at once. After wandering around for 10minutes we finally located the right wedding. The venue was nice enough but quite plain. We went to the bar and found the staff were quite abrupt and rude. We placed our order which we had to do every drink individually whole the boy prepared them which took double the time. We then asked for fresh orange and lonade and got diluting orange.... We asked for it changed and they told us they didn't have fresh orange. The drinks were very expensive and minimum spend on a card is 10 which is easy done but would have liked the option to pay for 1 drink. It also took 15 minutes of me stood at the bar saying to pay by card with no explanation of why. I can see why people like the vu as it's reasonable priced for a wedding but for the guests it's so expensive and didn't really feel like a wedding.

Christine13's Comment

Written on: 20/03/2014

Staff are not interested in guests

“Wedding”

written by Christine13 on 11/02/2014

My son had his wedding there on 26th jan 14 firstly would say scenery beautiful food good then weren't told tea / coffee was end of the bar buffet was Luke warm hall was so cold that some of our guests ended up with the cold contact the vu theyre not interested as they now have our money sent a number of e-mails which there no longer answering staff went about with big padded jackets was told that they couldn't turn up heating as it was a new floor then some-one else says it wasn't working somebody is not telling the truth I ask about a good will gesture think that's why they're not replying

“Only interested in making money from wedding parties”

written by janderson2008 on 10/02/2014

The service was terrible on many different levels. The staff were disorganised and I would question whether there was enough staff working for the number of wedding guests. On arrival, there was confusion as to what was happening, the bar staff allowed most of the guests to purchase drinks. Then minutes later informed that they must leave their drinks where they were to move on to where the ceremony. This was outrageous treatment.. I would not recommend anyone use this as a wedding venue, they do not appreciate what a special day this is it is like they are herding cattle through.

“Expensive”

written by David555 on 25/03/2013

I attended a wedding there on 23rd March First the good points: Lovely scenery and the food was good, and plenty of it, well done chef. Bad points: Drink prices are probably on par with Gleneagles, very very expensive. Toilets were not clean and freezing cold. Though you cannot be held responsible for the snowy conditions. Where you are situated, at the top of a hill and the fact guests have to walk app 100 yards from the ceremony room to the main function suite, if you are going to charge horrendously high prices then do what Gleneagles do, provide shawls for the guests while they take the walk over. Seriously cold walk and dangerous under foot. The owners who take your initial booking who then ramp up the price of the package for every conceivable extra, never made an appearance at the wedding, very unprofessional again considering the price of the package. We were told to stay in the ceremony room while initial photographs were taken but by the time most of us were asked to go over to the venue the photo shoot was over so there were no group photos. Very poor communication from the "Master of Ceremonies" Quite a few more little irks but suffice to say I would not recommend this venue.

“free refunds should be given”

written by on 17/12/2012

I was recently at a wedding at the vu I dont know how much the owners of this establishment scamed out of the couple but they should be giving them twice what was scamed out of them back and i do say scamed as this place is leagal theft this place should be closed down and the owners imprisond for the crime they are commiting hthats ere I must point out that this crime is not the fault of the staff as none of them were old enough to be out of school and no no better I do wonder what day of the week they pretend to have a chef working as its apparent that they are only there for a couple of mins a month to open all the packets of ready meals (no no thats being to harsh on ready meals) and for the bar how they think they can charge mitchellen star prices for spit and sawdust attatudes I can not state this enough if you have to go here please please take your own food,drink,staff oh and venue please please avoid this place and go where they at least try to deliver what they say

“Rude,disorganised,shoddy”

written by on 06/10/2012

I would not recommend this place to my worst enemy. I was at a wedding here and the service was poor, the staff unhelpful and the toilets were disgusting. If I'd been the bride I'd be demanding my money back. This place could be fabulous if the owners sacked the staff and put in people who at the very least 'like' their job. The food was pitiful too. I'm sorry that I wont go into anymore detail but I wouldnt like my friend to know how her guests were treated. I just want to make sure other potential brides/guests are made aware.

“COMPLETE JOKE”

written by on 13/08/2011

AVOID AT ALL COSTS. Service is a complete joke, food is awful, over priced, rude unfriendly staff.... give your money to people who deserve it.

“Don't give the vu your money! ”

written by on 08/06/2011

I'm really not good at writing on these things, all I can say is the vu was terrible we booked our wedding there and ended up cancelling it 2 months before! The staff & owners are so rude with no customer service skills what so ever! Angela the owner is the worst! They are really nice till they get your money then see what happens. She was more interested in her night out with the girls than to speak to us about our wedding When this was the last time for a check list before our big day this woman is in over her head no wonder her staff have left! One being her own daughter who says the same as I have! So please don't waste your time & money on this venue such a shame because it's such beautiful setting for a wedding!

Guest's Comment

Written on: 21/06/2011

I agree with you.
I also had a very bad experience with them.

“We made a telephone reservation for sat 11th sept...”

written by on 19/09/2010

We made a telephone reservation for sat 11th sept 2010, but on the night were told no booking was made. This was the first of many disappointments on that night. There were to many to mention but what we will say is we never be back would not recommend family or friends.
We emailed our complaint and never got a response that speaks volumes as far as I am concerned.

“Perfect if you like being snubbed !!!!My fianc and I...”

written by on 23/08/2010

Perfect if you like being snubbed !!!!My fianc and I went for a tour at The Vu recently with the objective to book our wedding there.
Unfortunately the lack of interest for our wedding from the staff and owner was very clear and very noticeable probably due to lots of factors (Clearly we've been snubbed!).
1- With our potential 80 guests (we've been classified as small wedding, so less interesting).
2- The fact that we weren't interested by the Exclusive wedding package (Book the entire place for the whole day) which is more expensive (That doesn't mean we cannot pay!).
3- And probably just by the way my fianc and I look and sounds like.
Thanks God we didn't try to eat there as we would probably been served as some of the bad experiences reviewed on trip advisor.
After our very bad first approach at The Vu we have visited a few other places in Edinburgh and West Lothian area.
We then realised that for the same price (Around £6000.00) the service and options at The Vu were very poor and limited compare to a lots of places.
.There is no possibility to choose the time of your wedding it have to be their time!
.No choice of stationery possible (when we went for our tour the room was set-up for a wedding and the names were hand written with a black marker).
.There is no real garden for the pictures.
.The samples of pictures we saw wasn't great at all (Big yellow caterpillar vehicle visible at the far back and next meadows metallic fences also visible on pictures)
.Choice regarding the chair covers ribbon is also quite limited (colour and texture).
.No Choice of room possible.
.Every time we tried to make a suggestion or see if something can be change slightly it wasn't possible.
We really felt snubbed and uninteresting.
One thing is now sure, we won't organise our wedding there and I hope this review will help people to make the right decision as the worst thing you can get is a disappointing day.