Dan Brown, The Da Vinci Code Reviews

Summary

The Da Vinci Code is the critically acclaimed book written by Dan Brown. This religous themed thriller follows Professor Robert Langdon as he is implicated in a complex murder and subsequent manhunt. This New York Time Number One Best Selling Novel has proved to be both a commercial and critical hit and has been one of the most talked about books in recent years.

If you have read The Da Vinci Code then why not join the debate and send us your review? Do you think Dan Brown's classic is worthy of all the accolades? Or are you of a differing opinion? Whatever your views, Review Centre wants to hear from you, so post a review and give us your verdict.
Dan Brown, The Da Vinci Code - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Dan Brown, The Da Vinci Code

Dan Brown, The Da Vinci Code

“There is a simple way to assess this book. Obtain a...”

Written on: 07/10/2008 by Yuri Velasquez (1 review written)

There is a simple way to assess this book. Obtain a copy of Holy Blood, Holy Grail -by Michael Baigent, Richard Leigh, and Henry Lincoln. Written in 1982, now recently updated. It goes it to the subject at a far deeper level, although obviously not a novel. Whether or not the whole thing is a scam I really couldn't say. Interesting read all the same. A few years back I was in contact with someone who claimed to be in the 'Priory of Sion'. There might be something to it? Back to Dan Brown's… Read Full Review

☆☆☆☆☆

“Appallingly badly written. He uses convoluted...”

Written on: 16/09/2008 by nedbrab (22 reviews written)

Appallingly badly written. He uses convoluted conversations, that no experts would really have, to get his ideas across. Ridiculous twaddle… Read Full Review

☆☆☆☆☆

“A very uninteresting read. There was no interest in...”

Written on: 10/07/2008

A very uninteresting read. There was no interest in telling the story and i found this book extremely boring and unfabricated. On the whole, think Dan Brown should be taken off our shelves!… Read Full Review

“Good book still reading it though”

Written on: 15/04/2008

Good book still reading it though… Read Full Review

“I generally enjoyed the book. i had read it without...”

Written on: 18/10/2007 by zoodemon (33 reviews written)

I generally enjoyed the book. i had read it without any preconceptions and found i settled into it easily. His characters are not the deepest, but they are only there as subplot, as the appeal of the book comes from stories of religious heritage, mysterious society's and our fascination with spirit belief. If you need your books to be anything more than stocking fillers then this book will leave you rather unfulfilled.

The story has good pace, teasing you with dark locations and then tearing… Read Full Review

“The Da Vinci Code is a fantastic book. Shorter...”

Written on: 03/09/2007 by melinak (1 review written)

The Da Vinci Code is a fantastic book. Shorter Chapters, genius twists, I felt I could really get into the characters minds… Read Full Review

“Intellectually stimulating, very inspirational read....”

Written on: 07/08/2007 by lynnieloo (1 review written)

Intellectually stimulating, very inspirational read. Dan Brown is an absolute genius!… Read Full Review

“I thoroughly enjoyed the book. However, I read this...”

Written on: 14/06/2007 by jackie120 (5 reviews written)

I thoroughly enjoyed the book. However, I read this before Angels & Demons and found that it was much better. I've heard others say that they liked A & D more, especially those that read that one first… Read Full Review

“I thoroughly enjoyed The Da Vinci Code! I read it long...”

Written on: 28/12/2006 by emza2511 (176 reviews written)

I thoroughly enjoyed The Da Vinci Code! I read it long after the hype had died down, thinking that it couldn't possibly be as good as everyone had made out. However, it surpassed every expectation I had of it! It was truly captivating! I couldn't put it down! Admittedly, at first it was rather difficult to follow (with many sentences in French), but I think this added to the authenticity of the book!

Also, I had seen the film before I read the book, and the book I'm afraid is 110% better… Read Full Review

“I thought this book was absolutely superb! My husband...”

Written on: 27/11/2006 by FraggleSue (14 reviews written)

I thought this book was absolutely superb! My husband read it and told me it was great and tried to tell me what it was about - it sounded boring! Any description or explanation anyone tries to give of this book just won't do it justice!
The book is very cleverly written, with each character given such depth and importance along the way but the plot flows brilliantly and is very easy to read. The wonderful thing about books is that if they are well written, you can imagine everything so… Read Full Review

“I started to read Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code, and...”

Written on: 21/08/2006 by mozymo (3 reviews written)

I started to read Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code, and after a short while I abandoned it to the coffee table where it sat until it got the better of me, and I decided I would give it another try. I did, and it sat once again on the coffee table for another week or so. After speaking to an author friend who said he just couldn't get to grips with the book, I thought I wasn't so dim after all, and I gave it another once-over. I felt I knew Robert Langdon, the main character, and although the story… Read Full Review

“What i love about this book,is the use of baffling...”

Written on: 01/08/2006 by polkadots (16 reviews written)

What i love about this book,is the use of baffling codes,it really is pure genius. The depth of the story unfolds closer to the end of the book as characters are clearly not how they appear. Unlike Angels & Demons [also by dan brown] characters are explained in much more depth, this makes the story compelling and at times shocking. A reader with a wider knowledge of Da vinci's work may find the story, easier to digest. But still, a gripping read… Read Full Review

“Dan Brown, The Da Vinci Code, all very fun and a lot...”

Written on: 10/07/2006 by degbert (120 reviews written)

Dan Brown, The Da Vinci Code, all very fun and a lot of the depiction of scenes and events are quite believeable. The two main characters are just about brought off the page in terms of the depth, but Fache rather steals the show as the most plausible and with whom I had most empathy. Without giving anything away, characters introduced later in the book are far more 2 dimensional and the whole thing tails off as a realistic story later because of it.

But that's not my main issue... which is… Read Full Review

“Dan Brown, The Da Vinci Code the most overrated book...”

Written on: 18/06/2006 by jsarcadia (1 review written)

Dan Brown, The Da Vinci Code the most overrated book of all time. A completely predictable, formulaic murder mystery. The religious "revelations" are nothing new; particularly to anyone with a modicum of historical awareness. I cannot believe the hype that surrounds this book. The hype is extraordinary; the book is just plain ordinary… Read Full Review

“I thought Dan Brown, The Da Vinci Code was a good...”

Written on: 31/05/2006 by MHatton (5 reviews written)

I thought Dan Brown, The Da Vinci Code was a good read, obviously with a book so hyped up as this the mind boggles on what to expect.
It opens up the mind to other possibilities about religion and Jesus Christ's heritage and offers a delicious twist to an ancient tale.
The main thing to remember is that this is fiction and if you disengage the brain it is a good interesting read… Read Full Review

“I can't believe that people are actually able to write...”

Written on: 04/04/2006 by sugarluva (8 reviews written)

I can't believe that people are actually able to write bad reviews about Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code. It has to be one of the best I've ever read. I must admit it wasn't the most challenging book to read but as for suspense and twists within the storyline it was amazing. I loved this book and really could not put it down. I have also recommended it to lots of people since and everyone has agread with me… Read Full Review

☆☆☆☆☆

“The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown is perhaps the worst I...”

Written on: 13/02/2006 by brisinghamen (2 reviews written)

The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown is perhaps the worst I have ever had the misfortune to read. Having heard the hype I was very disappointed to find out that this is all there is to this book...hype. The characters are supposed to be experts in the field of cryptography etc, but cannot work out the most basic cloth-eared cryptic clues. I mean, a five letter word that has to do with Sir Isaac Newton? Give me a break! Written by an author who knows nothing. Add to this that it has been written in… Read Full Review

Theoxymoron's Response to brisinghamen's Review

Written on: 11/05/2006

Some intellectual points, perhaps? Why didn't you like it? I've seen your like before, someone who writes a horrible review for a book, using negative comments to shroud their obviously lacking knowledge of said topic. It's obviously difficult to solve riddles to one of the most influential and revered relics in history, while being chased by authorities, and at gunpoint. You obviously haven't considered this very much.

Nedbrab's Response to brisinghamen's Review

Written on: 23/09/2008

I agree with this review because... the book is appallingly badly written and anyone who thinks it great can't have read many books by great authors.

Matty233's Response to brisinghamen's Review

Written on: 06/07/2006

Please... we have a right to criticize... it's the internet! And just FYI, this book used no imagination or intelligence whatsoever. Some of the puzzles (and I'm stretching here) were a little intelligent, but the majority of this book was utter tripe. Dan Brown writes like a sixth grader, that's all there is to it.

Lewist's Response to brisinghamen's Review

Written on: 29/05/2006

It was a good read on a long haul flight with a stopover. It's not literature but if it gives people pleasure, who are we to criticise? There are better books, better thrillers even. Try Christopher Brookmyre!

Theoxymoron's Response to brisinghamen's Review

Written on: 12/05/2006

Why did it take you less than two seconds to solve them? Because the book did it for you. You yourself said that you're no cryptography expert, so how would you know whether it's hard or not? His wife is an art historian, and I think his, along with several professional historians' research, is more credible than some random reviewer on a public website. Please; do not state your opinions as a fact, and give some good points instead of just 'None at all'.

Brisinghamen's Response to brisinghamen's Review

Written on: 11/05/2006

OK, here are some points. Dan Brown can't write. If you had read anything by any other thriller writer then you would know that. Robert Ludlum, Hammond Innes and Alastiar MacLean blow him away on their worst day. And these guys are as formulaic as anyone.
Point 2 would be that anyone who knows anything about Leonardo Da Vinci, knows that he wrote backwards to hide his work. This was his method of Cryptography. These guys are supposed to be EXPERTS AT CRYPTOGRAPHY.... and it takes them more than 2 seconds to work it out? Like I say, give me a break!
The clues about Newton and Alexander Pope took me again, about 2 seconds to work out. Why? Because I am reasonably well educated.
However, I AM NOT AN EXPERT AT CRYPTOGRAPHY. It should have taken them a nano second!
That do you? Unless you believe that all this Holy Grail stuff is REAL! In which case, Lord help you!

Read 6 Comments

“Got Dan Brown The Da Vinci Code under the audio book...”

Written on: 31/10/2005 by etuk (5 reviews written)

Got Dan Brown The Da Vinci Code under the audio book exchange at the motorway services. I seen loads of reviews in the media and I'm still undecided about it's accuracy. It's very believable because of the track record of the Catholic Church and all it's secrecy but maybe a little OTT on the conspiracy theory front. I'm inclined to believe a lot of it could be true but I'm not a fully signed up member.
However - whether you believe the story or not it's still damn good if you accept it as… Read Full Review

☆☆☆☆☆

“Browm treats his readers as if we were complete...”

Written on: 30/09/2005 by david england (1 review written)

Browm treats his readers as if we were complete idiots, no development of characters, suspense? What suspense. Too predictable, staggering and lurching from one location to another like a drunk in a foggy night. Pathetic. The Da Vinci Code is a complete waste of money… Read Full Review

“If there would be one word to describe the Da Vinci...”

Written on: 29/09/2005 by DanteMinos (1 review written)

If there would be one word to describe the Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown, it would definitely be: AWESOME! It was amazing how everything untied itself page after page. I tried to predict what happened, however, the ending was very unexpected. The only problem possibly, is that the ending needs a bit of fixing. I have read many books in my time, but this one just blows it all away! If you enjoy history and all about religion, this is definitely a book for you! I loved that it explained… Read Full Review