Sony DCR-PC120 Reviews

• Video Quality

• Sound Quality

• Battery Life

Summary

Digital
Mini Dv
Sony DCR-PC120 - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Sony DCR-PC120

Showing star rating of:

(cancel refinement)

“For Everyone. Don't buy expensive camcorders. We...”

Written on: 03/05/2002 by sunny. (1 review written)

For Everyone. Don't buy expensive camcorders. We bought a Sony DCR PC 120E and it was completely dead by sudden single splash of water. Manufacturer warranty does not cover for water… Read Full Review

Atef Al-Asssraj.'s Response to 22221_sunny.'s Review

Written on: 30/05/2002

Is there an Electronic Device which will not be effected by a water splash other than diving devices?

106224_Vab.'s Response to 22221_sunny.'s Review

Written on: 11/06/2003

Condensation! I rather glossed over this part quickly because like many first time camcorder owners, you're bogged down trying to figure out what all the features are. I have been reading more on this on the internet and there is not much in the manual. And I've read some of the reviews here about the water problem. Man, I almost think there should be some sort of auditory alarm that goes off to really warn you of this problem...let alone some small tiny flashing light that may or may not go off right away. If you got some big event to film and the camera won't work...man you are in deep, deep...trouble...particularly if you are getting paid and it is an event that can only be filmed once. I now feel that maybe I should stock up on several other realiable camcorders for backup...I wonder which ones those would be!

100835_Farhad.'s Response to 22221_sunny.'s Review

Written on: 23/05/2003

Many thanks for your review. It has taken me very long time to save a deposit for this camera to buy. But your comment obviously made me to look at other makes and models. I also do not need lots of functions that would be useless for an average guy, that will take films occasionally from parties and gatherings. I also will need a good manual with the camcorder I have to buy. Many thanks again to make people aware.

88551_Aussie Spirit.'s Response to 22221_sunny.'s Review

Written on: 13/04/2003

For someone carrying such a perfect instrument, common sense would suggest that water, any WATER
<br>!! would cause malfunction. I had no problems with the manual, maybe a Panasonic or JVC is more of your level.

Sprecks57.'s Response to 22221_sunny.'s Review

Written on: 22/03/2003

<p>Hi all,
<br>I just read Dan Y's comment. I just bought the 120e and am more then happy with it.<br>
<br>
<br>But what I was wondering: <b>Is there any Underwatercase for the DCR-PC120?</b> If yes could please someone post me a link?
<br>Thanks a lot
<br>Sprecks57</p>
<br>
<br>P.S: Sorry guys but if you're not able to use an electronic device like a miniDV cam it's your fault and don't blame Sony because they did a perfect job. wondering why its broke when getting wet??? come on...are you wondering why you're dead when you drop your hair dryer in the hot tub while you're in it??

63500_Dan Y.'s Response to 22221_sunny.'s Review

Written on: 08/01/2003

Sorry for the loss of you camera but repair is possible I would guess. I use the PC-110 in an underwater video housing (about 25 hours of tape shot). As you know, salt water is an electrolyte and crossive and _one_ well placed drop can be the end of these complex devices. For such catistrophic failure I assume that the "splash" was salt water. It may have survived a few drops of freshwater. If it was a fresh water splash then it must have been a big splash. Do you have coverage under your homeowners policy?
I agree that there are features that are not used much and wish that I didn't have to pay for them. My guess is that SONY (like the others) is trying to distinguish their products from the compeitors as those miniDVs have the same features. Note that Sony's professional top-of-the-line miniDV, the VX2000, has most of the same bells and whistles. Most users at that level are editing off line anyway.
The still image mode on the 110 provides about 1100 by 900 resolution. If one is careful and is happy with smaller prints, 8x6 inches, the still frame is very adequate and useful. The 120 provides even more resolution.

Andreas.'s Response to 22221_sunny.'s Review

Written on: 06/01/2003

Have had a PC120 for one month now and Sony really needs some critics about this camera. The camera is stuffed with functions most people will never need. The manual is as mentioned complicated much because many advanced functions are hard to use and also have a whole rulebook on what functions can be combined. The camera has several functions to make it a still image camera. Sony could have droped that concept, quality is not even close to a digital still image camera. Obviously the camera makes very bad still images with heavy distortion in the form av a pattern, if you zoom in at the pictures they look almost painted. The camera has a problem controlling the flash. Short distance with flash makes really bad images. Several controllers that needs to be controlled with a parameter has only a few options, most silly is the intervall frame recording that would be much fun to experiment with if it wasn't the limit with only a few preprogrammed intervals. Same for the flash that can be controlled but only in three steps. Manual focus is really hard to use and automatic focus is sometimes very slow especially when it's not so much light. OK I warned you. This critics is made with the experience from only this camera. I have not used other simular products. Try it before you bye it.

53679_Sunny.'s Response to 22221_sunny.'s Review

Written on: 26/11/2002

Hi All,
This is regarding an earlier review I had posted, on this camcorder, and the "sudden death" of my PC120. I want to give some more details of what happened.
I had not written my review to establish Sony's liability in the case of the water splash on my PC120. I'm sure Sony are much too smart (for people like me) in concealing all the right kind of disclaimers in the fine print of their instruction manuals.
In fact, the manual itself is horrible. You have to use a magnifying lens to go through the instructions which are poorly laid out trying to accommodate 2 langauges on each page.
According to manual an indicator should flash whenever moisture condensation happens. In my case, there was NO SUCH INDICATION! I think this is an important feed back for a potential buyer.
When you buy your expensive camcorder, with a lot of funky features which you are only beginning to understand, you are exposed to a lot of nice glossy, pictures and hype, and somewhere, buried in a trilingual instruction manual, there is some fine printed warning about water or rain. To me it came as a GREAT BIG SHOCK that such an expensive camcorder, with all those funky features went COMPLETELY DEAD with a SINGLE SPLASH of water.
I'm sure there are a lot of people like me who get fooled by what info is highlighted and hyped, and what info is concealed and buried. By highlighting my experience, I was only hoping to help at least few people.

32294_Dru.'s Response to 22221_sunny.'s Review

Written on: 08/08/2002

The DCR-120 is a brick anyhow.

Fclage.'s Response to 22221_sunny.'s Review

Written on: 07/08/2002

Honestly. You give a bad review to a good camera, just because you've smashed yours ? What kind of review is that ? Are you trying to say that the Sony PC-120 isn't waterproof ? If so, we already know that... and it's in the manual as well.

26599_Ed.'s Response to 22221_sunny.'s Review

Written on: 05/06/2002

What's a "SPLASH" As an Underwater Videographer I can assure you that given the right amount of water in the right place ALL cameras will FTF (Fail to Function)

Read 11 Comments